Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Witnesses: Caroline Maxwell Alibi ? - by Wickerman 6 hours ago.
Witnesses: Caroline Maxwell Alibi ? - by Sam Flynn 8 hours ago.
Witnesses: Caroline Maxwell Alibi ? - by Wickerman 8 hours ago.
Witnesses: Caroline Maxwell Alibi ? - by Wickerman 8 hours ago.
Witnesses: What EXACTLY did Maurice Lewis say? - by Joshua Rogan 9 hours ago.
General Suspect Discussion: Favorite suspect/s? - by Herlock Sholmes 9 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
General Suspect Discussion: Favorite suspect/s? - (13 posts)
Witnesses: Our Charles Cross - (8 posts)
Witnesses: Caroline Maxwell Alibi ? - (8 posts)
Witnesses: What EXACTLY did Maurice Lewis say? - (1 posts)
Motive, Method and Madness: What was occuring in 1888? - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Social Chat > Other Mysteries

Old Yesterday, 07:21 PM
Sergeant

Herlock and CAZ,

Sorry, but I totally disagree with your recent posts.

Just kidding of course , there won't be much surprise but I concur with both of the points made.

The somewhat friendly and cordial relationship with Parry even after his dismissal from the Pru was distinctly odd in contrast with the picture Wallace paints of him when seeming to finger him as a top suspect.

I would also agree that if Wallace was the killer and architect of the Qualtrough plan it wouldn't make sense for him not to have some sort of a "fall guy type" in mind, if not one person to particularly point the finger at first, at least somebody who would be the type to be Qualtrough. A younger man (remember operators said the caller sounded like an older man though!), someone who worked for the Pru maybe in the past and had a grudge against Wallace etc... these would be all very obvious things a guilty Wallace would think of.

This isn't prejudiced to one's conclusion, because I am not saying this proves or even indicates Wallace was Qualtrough.

Instead, I am asserting if he was, then he would almost certainly have in mind a type of fellow Qualtrough could be, if not a particular man in mind. It would be dumb if he didn't.

Therefore, it is not a stretch to think Wallace if guilty had Parry or a Parry type in mind and might make some of the stuff pointing towards Parry a bit make more sense if the rest of the evidence points towards Wallace.

In other words, it is not a valid objection to say, as I have seen before that it is a reach to think Wallace "framed Parry".

Let's exclude outlier scenarios for a second.

Either the killer was Qualtrough or it was Wallace.

If Qualtrough, he had an elaborate plan to at the very least get Wallace out of the house the next night and enact some sort of criminal enterprise, if not to actively plan to murder JW and frame her husband.

If Wallace, he hoped to murder JW and frame Qualtrough. It would always be part of the plan anyway if Wallace was the guilty party.

Ask yourself: Which of these 2 scenarios seems more in accordance with reality?
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:43 AM
Superintendent

AS were going to have to find something that we disagree on Our opinions on JTR seems to tally up exactly. Overwhelmingly likely an unknown. Of the known suspects Kosminski and Druitt (I’d add Bury too.)

It certainly can’t be dismissed that Wallace might have had Parry in mind as a fall guy all along. If guilty he set up a scene that would imply a killer/thief who knew where the money was kept and could go straight to it and one that a suspicious Julia would have let in. He points the police in the direction of Parry but never goes so far that the police might suspect him of trying to shift the blame from himself to Parry. Perhaps this is why he became certain of Parry’s guilt only after he’d been convicted and then acquitted. After all, how could he have come into any more information after the appeal that would increase his belief in Parry’s guilt? He made no investigation of the crime and no more info came to light.

Parry was a pretty much made to measure scapegoat. Unfortunately for Wallace though Parry had an alibi and the police eliminated him. How angry might Wallace have been to think that he gave the police Parry on a plate and they didn’t take him. Hence his efforts to accuse Parry after the event.

Herlock

"There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact!"
Old Today, 07:25 AM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
AS were going to have to find something that we disagree on Our opinions on JTR seems to tally up exactly. Overwhelmingly likely an unknown. Of the known suspects Kosminski and Druitt (I’d add Bury too.)

It certainly can’t be dismissed that Wallace might have had Parry in mind as a fall guy all along. If guilty he set up a scene that would imply a killer/thief who knew where the money was kept and could go straight to it and one that a suspicious Julia would have let in. He points the police in the direction of Parry but never goes so far that the police might suspect him of trying to shift the blame from himself to Parry. Perhaps this is why he became certain of Parry’s guilt only after he’d been convicted and then acquitted. After all, how could he have come into any more information after the appeal that would increase his belief in Parry’s guilt? He made no investigation of the crime and no more info came to light.

Parry was a pretty much made to measure scapegoat. Unfortunately for Wallace though Parry had an alibi and the police eliminated him. How angry might Wallace have been to think that he gave the police Parry on a plate and they didn’t take him. Hence his efforts to accuse Parry after the event.
Perhaps religion and the cosmos?

I think organized religion is a bit silly.
Old Today, 12:24 PM
Superintendent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanSherlock View Post
Perhaps religion and the cosmos?

I think organized religion is a bit silly.
I’m a member of Humanists UK and so a non-believer. I certainly have more of an issue with organised religion compared to just religion itself. The dangerous ‘my religion is better and more important than your religion’ kind of belief.

On the Cosmos.......I’m convinced of its existence. The evidence is pretty strong.

Herlock

"There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact!"
Old Today, 02:16 PM
Sergeant

Ah yes, I agree . Cosmos real

And maybe the deviation is I do have some sort of belief in a higher power. The humanists usually go to that. Burden of proof and all.

But I do agree in thinking the belief in any specific dogma based text is just very unlikely that your 1 chosen book is correct and all the others are wrong. Wouldn't pass any sort of critical thinking muster.

Back to Wallace, actually he mentioned a sort of crisis in faith in his diary and the lack of belief in an afterlife worth caring about. I think it was only a few months before the killing when he said something about how even if there was a past life for him he cannot remember it and therefore any future life similarly would have no meaning to him, even if it existed. Perfectly reasonable (hate to resort to centuries old tried and true : blame the atheist!)

But it does show a man grappling with life's questions and perhaps the impeding ending of his. This was around the same time he noted Julia failed to grasp "the master Builder" play they both witnessed. Although to be fair he does seem to show concern about her being out late 1 night and fear she was in an accident---or perhaps did that fear put an idea in his head on reflection??

As we know, this was a man whose favorite work he lived by was Meditations by Marcus Aurelius. Marcus has a quote there about leading a good life and nothing would be lost if there are no Gods...and if there are and just, they wouldnt care how fervently one believed. Sort of a twist on Pascal's Wager

Well, killing one's spouse might not be considered be leading a good life.

On the other hand, Wallace's cold, stoic personality might have made getting rid of a "problem" easier, no?

Last edited by AmericanSherlock : Today at 02:32 PM.