Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by jerryd 1 hour and 23 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by jerryd 2 hours ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by Abby Normal 2 hours ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by Trevor Marriott 2 hours ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by Abby Normal 3 hours ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by Trevor Marriott 3 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - (65 posts)
Martha Tabram: Probibility of Martha Tabram Being a JtR Victim - (1 posts)
Scene of the Crimes: Bucks Row Project - (1 posts)
Non-Fiction: Scholes of the Yard: The Casebook of a Scotland Yard Detective 1888 to 1924 - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Letters and Communications > Saucy Jack Postcard

Old 11-19-2010, 08:32 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.d. View Post
Does squealing have to be taken literally or could it mean that she was killed just like a pig with no mercy?

c.d.
Hi CD
Taken with the previous statement in The Dear boss letter of "I gave the lady no time to squeal" and the full statement in the postcard "squealed abit couldn't finish staright off" to me makes it clear he meant literally yell or cry out.

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 10:29 PM
Superintendent

Quote:
Originally Posted by protohistorian View Post
Because he had already seen an early press report of the killings. Stride's death was very quick anatomically speaking, she was finished very quickly. Dave
Would this effectively mean that the letter writier was a journalist who saw the news before it went out into the public domain - or were there early editions out on the streets early enough for it to have come from a member of the public? Does anybody know?

And if there were such early editions, does anybody know which ones they were?

It seems to me that the answer, if possible to acquire, might be helpful here.
Old 11-21-2010, 03:43 PM
Chief Inspector

Hello Sally, it has been sussed out as a possibility, and it is here on casebook. I came across it years ago, when my memory functioned even more poorly and cannot remember where. Perhaps one of our peers will take pity on us and help. Dave
Old 11-21-2010, 08:33 PM
Superintendent

Quote:
Originally Posted by protohistorian View Post
Hello Sally, it has been sussed out as a possibility, and it is here on casebook. I came across it years ago, when my memory functioned even more poorly and cannot remember where. Perhaps one of our peers will take pity on us and help. Dave
Hello Dave - I should have expected that somebody would have already had a go at this. I hope that somebody remembers where it is - it would be interesting to know.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:21 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally View Post
Hello Dave - I should have expected that somebody would have already had a go at this. I hope that somebody remembers where it is - it would be interesting to know.
Hi Sally
I can see if the description of strides murder in the paper was detailed enough that it described just a cut throat that the letter writer would have been able to know from that to write "could not finish straight off".

however, how did he know "she squealed a bit"? This comes from Israel Scwartz testimoney which i beleive was not in any of the papers before the Saucey jacky postcard was sent. So ,how did he know? Lucky guess? Was the Israel Scwartz testimoney traveling word of mouth and in such detail?

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline
Old 11-22-2010, 10:22 PM
Superintendent

Quote:
Hi Sally
I can see if the description of strides murder in the paper was detailed enough that it described just a cut throat that the letter writer would have been able to know from that to write "could not finish straight off".

however, how did he know "she squealed a bit"? This comes from Israel Scwartz testimoney which i beleive was not in any of the papers before the Saucey jacky postcard was sent. So ,how did he know? Lucky guess? Was the Israel Scwartz testimoney traveling word of mouth and in such detail
Hi Abby - possibly - maybe that's right - the postcard writer had heard about it. Or maybe he was the killer. Or, look at it another way - perhaps the squealing concurrence isn't as significant as it seems. It's a fairly common term. The writer knew about the 'Double Event', obviously.

Of course, the question is, how? This is why it's important to know which, if any, papers were out on the streets in time to be read before that postcard was written - for if none, then it effectively rules out an ordinary, paper-reading member of the public.

If that were the case, you would be left with a journalist, or other person with privileged knowledge. One such person could, of course, be the killer himself.

Regards

Sally
Old 05-19-2012, 02:37 PM
Assistant Commissioner

Quote:
If that were the case, you would be left with a journalist, or other person with privileged knowledge. One such person could, of course, be the killer himself.
Another could be one of the two private investigators who latched on to Schwartz quite early in the piece.

Regards, Bridewell.
Old 10-10-2013, 12:43 PM
Constable

Regarding the bit about "number one squealed a bit", I thought that Philip Sugden dealt with this well when he pointed out that

1. We don't know for sure that Stride did cry out. Of all four witnesses, only Schwartz claimed she cried out and Schwartz may have been unreliable (e,g. he could have been mistaken about the time. Even if he was only 10 minutes out then he probably did not see Stride with her killer).

2. Even if Stride did cry out, this is the typical kind of vagueness that hoaxers rely on as it can be easily adapted/interpreted to fit a favoured theory.

I think we might as well ask why, if Schwartz was right, the postcard made no mention of any witnesses. You might have expected a boast. The point is, I think, that none of the details provided were specific enough to be very convincing, not to the police at the time or to most modern researchers.
Old 10-10-2013, 01:09 PM
Chief Inspector

I believed for over 25 years that this and the dear boss letter were genuine sadly I've come to the conclusion they are fake.If the killer wrote these communications to add to the shock value he could quite easily enclose something like a small piece of the victims clothes or indeed an ear or two to prove beyond doubt it is genuine.who would know about news agencies a journalist would the average man in the street would address the communications to a well known paper something like"the Times London" would get it there .Also would our killer give the police his handwriting I don't think so .
Old 10-10-2013, 01:24 PM
Constable

Pinkmoon I agree. I also initially thought the letters were from the real killer. But my first book on JTR by Colin Wilson and Robin Odell and while I absolutely loved it, a lot of the impressions it made turned out to be canards.

I now think that the Saucy Jack Postcard and Dear Boss letters are hoaxes by admittedly enterprising journalists. The Lusk Letter is more likely to be genuine, simply because there is something more concrete to go on, but I wouldn't bet my house on it.