Jack the Ripper in America

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Corrections & additions

After the Whitechapel murders James Kelly went to France - not to the U.S. He returned to London after a few years in France and then, later, went to New York (initially).

From there he went to all sorts of cities in the U.S. including Philadelphia, Baltimore, New Orleans, Houston, Galveston, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Denver, etc. In virtually all of those various U.S. cities there were gruesome murders of women that the local newspapers suggested, in various article, a connection to the Jack the Ripper murders. This is NOT coincidence.

Secondly, when he did finally "escape" to the United States he used the alias of JOHN Miller - not James Miller, as someone incorrectly wrote here. He purposely used that alias of JOHN Miller because, as the Discovery Channel progam pointed out, it was a very common name held by literally THOUSANDS of men who had emigrated to the U.S.

Third, there were three more murders in London that were committed prior to the alleged beginning of the Jack the Ripper/Whitechapel murders. Those three earlier London murders could very easily have been the early work of Jack the Ripper.

Fourth, when he murdered his first victim in the U.S. he carved the Roman numeral number ten ( an X ) in the body of his victim. If you count his wife as his first victim and then include the three early London murders, which are not generally attributed to Jack the Ripper, and the five Jack the Ripper murders in London that ARE attributed to him, then his first victim in the U.S. would be his TENTH murder.

While in the United States there were, at LEAST, 12 murders committed in lots of cities in the United States where it was suggested that there might be a link to Jack the Ripper due to the brutality of the murders. And James Kelly was (according to his own confession) in ALL of those U.S. cities when he was in the U.S.

As far as I'm concerned, he WAS the Ripper. No doubt about it in my mind. Case closed.
    Last edited by KG-One; 11-16-2009, 05:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Flagg View Post
      Detective Ed deserves a cold beer though.
      Make it a 12-pack.

Yes, Prisoner 1167 is the book. It's so complete it's hard to add to it, but the show did, suggesting the American murders.

Roy
      Sink the Bismark

Comment

After the Whitechapel murders James Kelly went to France - not to the U.S. He returned to London after a few years in France and then, later, went to New York (initially).

Is their any info on this? was this info in his files? I agree seems a better sespect to me then 90% of the others and his movement are documented.

Comment

Originally posted by Kicket View Post
          Is their any info on this? was this info in his files?
          Hi Kicket and welcome,

There are two files. One is the Broadmoor file, now held at the Archive in Reading. This is the file the detective was shown looking at on TV.

The other file is closed until 2030. It is held at the Home Office Archives. That file has had 17 items removed. That's all we know about it.

Again, I can't recommend the book enough. Prisoner 1167. It has the whole story. Although the TV show did suggest a new area of inquiry, the American murders.

Roy
          Sink the Bismark

Comment

sounds like a good read thanks...why 2030 whats in this thing and if it sheads light on the case why not open it? its been long enough already.

Comment

I read an article on Bradmoor last night that said they are moving to a location that makes visiting easier, and that all files more than 100 years old will be open to the public to view, including the files on Kelly and Cutbush.

Comment

Originally posted by sdreid View Post
                It was OK but they were quite selective in their "evidence". When they didn't even mention Ameer Ben Ali, you have to wonder what else they left out.
                That's the frustrating thing about these 'documentaries'. The time available is too short, there's so little information, and who knows if the thing's been been edited far beyond what the author, or researcher, expected. They didn't give the names of any of the other so-called victims, other than Carrie, so you don't know if they're ones we already know about or someone different, or both. Why didn't they at least acknowledge some of the guys who looked into Kelly, like Tully, and John Morrison? The program was alright but I wish it had been longer. It was refreshing that the suspect was Kelly because when one hears America, one thinks Tumblety. Much of it was based on Kelly's 'confession', in spite of the fact that Norris said that criminals are known to lie.
                "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

Let's face it, most documentaries are "entertainment" for the regular man or woman in the street, and are not for the consumption of aficianados of the case who will usually find they fall short of comprehensive coverage of the questions raised by the case.

Chris
                  Christopher T. George
                  Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
                  just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
                  For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
                  RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

I only caught the last 15 minutes of the program. They made a reference to Kelly's confession. What exactly did he confess to?

c.d.

Comment

moor on Broadmoor

Interesting article on Broadmoor and the case files

Artists, scholars, murderers and at least two potential Jack the Rippers have been revealed in the fascinating archives from Broadmoor Hospital.

Comment

Originally posted by c.d. View Post
                        I only caught the last 15 minutes of the program. They made a reference to Kelly's confession. What exactly did he confess to?

c.d.
                        Didn't see the program but didn't Kelly pretty much admit the mortal attack on his wife Sarah. After his arrest, he wrote a letter to Sarah, then in hospital fighting for her life, begging her forgiveness, although at his trial for murder he pleaded guilty by reason of insanity. See James Kelly here on Casebook.

Chris
                        Christopher T. George
                        Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
                        just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
                        For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
                        RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

I was contacted by the people who made the documentary because of my expertise in the Carrie Brown murder, as well as other supposed Ripper murders around the world, and gave them research materials and offered them illustrations if they needed them. There was also some discussion about me appearing on the show. This fell through, however, when they apparently didn’t like my answers to their questions.

I told them Brown was not murdered by the Ripper (dissimilar mutilations for example) and that whoever murdered her was not James Kelly (he didn’t fit the description of the “German” man who entered the East River Hotel with her). I also pointed out that Kelly’s known whereabouts either didn’t fit with the locations of Ripper-like murders or that there wasn’t enough information to prove it either way. I also pointed out that none of the so-called American Ripper murders fit the Ripper’s M.O.

I guess these weren’t the opinions they were looking for.

Wolf.

Comment

Wolf, Ah-ha. That figures. They couldn't be bothered putting in a contrary opinion. One of the first things I wondered about, re Carrie's murder, was why they didn't mention the German guy, or a guy with a foreign accent, at all. I figured it was because the accent was not described as British.

Question: The old building they showed, when they discussed the "hotel", that's not the real building, is it?

C.D., about the only confessions they mentioned were Kelly's claims that he traveled in the US, among other places. When he took himself back to the asylum, he wrote a document, outlining where he'd been, etc, over the last 40 years. The guy in the documentary then checked out the cities where he claimed to have gone and turned up murders in those. That was the story-line, anyway.
                            Last edited by Celesta; 11-16-2009, 11:57 PM.
                            "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

Is there anywhere online where I can watch this? Being in the UK I can't watch
                              Best regards,
                              Adam

"They assumed Kelly was the last... they assumed wrong" - Me

Comment

@Uncle Jack

Google, Jack Ripper Omicron, It's up on several file hosting sites for download.
                                “A truth that's told with bad intent beats all the lies you can invent." - William Blake

Comment

Working...
                                X