Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - by Wickerman 5 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - by Wickerman 9 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - by MysterySinger 9 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - by Wickerman 10 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - by Wickerman 10 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - (18 posts)
Doctors and Coroners: Baxter's influence on Ripper lore - (8 posts)
Kosminski, Aaron: My theory on Kosminski - (6 posts)
Scene of the Crimes: Tabbard Street East? - (1 posts)
Non-Fiction: Elizabeth Stride and Jack the Ripper: The Life and Death of the Reputed Third Victim. - (1 posts)
Shades of Whitechapel: Caught!? Long Island Serial Killer suspect - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Letters and Communications > Saucy Jack Postcard

Old 05-27-2009, 09:44 PM
Commisioner

Like Caz, I feel the cutting of the ear was accidental. Its common in some throat cuts that the ear gets slashed during the act. One line of thought I had is the author was party to the mutilation, the ear cut, via gossip as opposed to news reports. Reporters and public alike mingled with PCs and information was obtained. See The Star Oct 1st 88.

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 09:51 PM
Commisioner

Hi Monty and Caz,

The cutting of the ear may well have been accidental, but I don't believe it ended up in the folds of her dress by accident. Regardless, the Dear Boss/Saucy Jacky author was certainly lucky.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
Old 05-28-2009, 10:02 AM
Commisioner

Tom,

The fact that in his scene of crime report Brown noted the ear (and not that a portion was missing) indicates it was still attached.

It would seem it either became detached in transit, or during the clothing removal, and fell amongst her clothing. And in turn was noted as her body was being stripped.

There was no indication it had been placed there.

Either the author was very lucky or he knew full well what he was talking about.

Monty

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Last edited by Monty : 05-28-2009 at 10:05 AM.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:28 AM
Detective

If the ear was in the folds of her dress when the body was moved and then transported,moved again to a slab etc then i'm sure it would have dropped out at some stage,so i agree with Monty on this one,i'm sure it fell off during stripping or transit into the dress folds.
Old 11-20-2009, 05:10 PM
Detective

Default Little Help

Ok, I have just entered into the world of Jack a few weeks ago, something from the same era reminded me of the situation, so I came to see if something was here. Well I look at the Boss letter and think that he mailed the wrong version to the news, then I look at this postcard and think that it is totally wrong. I mean this thing looks so wrong that I can not believe that it began to work, so can somebody shed some light please? I don't mean that the postcard is wrong, but that postmark looks as staged as it gets. I can not find an "R" postal code for the second postmark, and if that "7" is correct with that "E", isn't that in an area where the postmark would not matter anyway? The thing that I see is that the postmark means the world, and yet areas have mail sitting from Saturday night, until Monday morning; that is a Monday postmark isn't it? I don't know, looks really odd that a person picking mail out of a box doesn't notice a postcard with bright red ink, neither does the guy sorting mail, that puts it in backwards so that the guy stamping it doesn't notice that he stamped the wrong side, so that someone else can spend five minutes to make sure that the stamp is picture perfect straight over a pre-paid postcard stamp, which he does not have to do since the only reason to deface a stamp is so it can not be used again, and you can't with pre-paid, and adds an "R" that is a mystery postal code to me, so that somebody can deliver it Monday morning...and nobody reads it, or calls the police? Is that about right?