The Curious Case of History vs. James Maybrick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mike J. G. View Post
    People find whatever they like when they're looking desperately, though, Ike. Some people see the image of Jesus on pieces of toast.
    I know. It's amazing what desperation does to a gentleman born. Some even see the heart, soul and brain of Michael Barrett in a certain Victorian scrap book.

Bonkers, isn't it? As we all know, Michael Barrett was the last person to be publicly executed in England in May 1868, 20 years before the diary was supposed to have been written. I'm no expert but I'd think that would be impossible.

Love,

Caz
    X
    "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike J. G. View Post
      This is remarkable, and yet more proof of people with tunnel-vision seeing whatever they wish to see. You're not only basically denying that people have visible traits within their handwriting that can and are routinely used to determine fraud and forgeries, but you're also of the opinion that people can and do change their entire mannerisms and suddenly erase all of their nuances when they're intoxicated, which is backed up by nothing whatsoever, lol.
      Yet many still believe that the handwriting is either Mike's or Anne's.

So let's be honest, Mike, and admit that if either Barrett had penned the thing, their fraudulent little forgery would have been determined years ago.

Be honest, Mike, and tell us whose handwriting you think is in the diary. Or be honest and admit you don't have the foggiest idea.

Love,

Caz
      X

Comment

• Originally posted by caz View Post
        Be honest, Mike, and tell us whose handwriting you think is in the diary. Or be honest and admit you don't have the foggiest idea.

Love,

Caz
        X
        I don't have the foggiest idea, Caz, and I'm not really interested in finding out. Is it necessary to be able to say whose handwriting it is? Surely, to demonstrate that it is a hoax, the only necessity is to demonstrate whose handwriting it isn't. If it isn't James Maybrick's handwriting then it wasn't written by James Maybrick - and if it wasn't it's a fake.
        I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

• Hi Colin,

That's fine for those who are still interested to know if it's a fake or not, but I'm not sure how many would fall into that category. It appears much more polarised than that, with one large and vocal group who are already 100% satisfied it was not written by Maybrick [yet continue to debate the tiniest points over and over - yes, I know, that would include me ], and one much smaller 'group' [hello Ike] who is 100% prepared to believe it was.

If only we could identify the person who penned the diary we'd then have a sporting chance of answering what, for me, have always been the really interesting questions: the when, the how and the why.

I picked up my first diary book in the shop at the London Dungeon in 1998. We were there to celebrate my daughter's 11th birthday. Soon afterwards I asked her and her father to teach me how to use the computer and get on the internet. And the rest is mystery...

Love,

Caz
          X

Comment

• Originally posted by caz View Post
            ... and one much smaller 'group' [hello Ike] who is 100% prepared to believe it was.
            Wonderful echoes of 'The People's Popular Front of Judea' or some such version. Either way, he's over there. And not far away, sit I ...
            Iconoclast
            Materials: HistoryvsMaybrick – Dropbox

Comment

• Originally posted by Iconoclast View Post
              Wonderful echoes of 'The People's Popular Front of Judea' or some such version. Either way, he's over there. And not far away, sit I ...
              'Whatever happened to the People's Front of Judea Reg ?"

Best film ever by the way. And I'll accept no debate on that subject

Regards
              Herlock
              Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Working...
              X