Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you could only ask five yes-or-no questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 007 View Post
    1. Were the Canonical 5 killed by the same person?
    2. Was the Goulston Street Graffiti written by the killer?
    3. Was the killer a resident of Whitechapel?
    4. Did the killings stop because the killer died or was incarcerated?
    5. Was the letter to Mr. Lusk (with the kidney) from the killer?
    Yes
    Yes
    No
    No
    Yes.
    My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

[QUOTE=Barnaby;342562]Beowulf's first question "Was it Kosminski?" is the correct strategy but should be used in all five questions. I would ask Tom the omniscient entity five "Was it (insert suspect)?" questions.

Best case scenario: The identity of Jack the Ripper is revealed.

Worst case (Next best?) scenario: Most of our favorite theories are decimated. Could you imagine if Kosminski, Druitt, Hutch, Kelly, and Cross were conclusively eliminated as suspects? Would Casebook survive? Would we be left debating if Lechmere is still viable because the question asked about Cross?

Seriously, the addition by subtraction advantage of asking about five "suspects" is the way to go in my opinion.[/QUOTES
      There will never be a shortage of arm chair detectives who will convince themselves they have solved this mystery so yes casebook will survive in fact it will go from strength to strength .It's only a matter of time before we have someone claiming "case closed" again armed with everything (apart from any real facts or evidence)the suspect will be analysed and discussed on here people will fall out books will be written documentaries made .I'm quite surprised no one has tried an alien abduction angle on this case yet but there's always time!.
      Three things in life that don't stay hidden for to long ones the sun ones the moon and the other is the truth

Comment

Talk about an omniscient entity and Lo! Tom appears.

My five.

1. Did Pearly Poll know Nathan Kaminsky?
        2. Was 'Lipski' a slur between differing members of the Judaen faith?
        3. Is Emily Burrell the Emily Rosina Burrell found not guilty of child neglect in 1892?
        4.Was Anne Chapman scared to stay in the lodging house?
        5.Will MY book entitled Smallpox and Other Diseases I Like ever get accepted by a publisher?

Thanks for the thread, all the best.

Comment

1. Was Jack the Ripper Jewish?

2. Did he use a knife in his everyday occupation or trade?

3 Did Jack write the GSG ?

4. Was Jack incapacitated or dead after 1888 ?

5 Were any of the C-5 victims known to him?

Comment

5 Q's

Hello Harry. Nice idea.

What of:

1. Did Isenschmid kill Polly/Annie?

2. Was Kate's son connected to the brothel at Cleveland st?

3. Did Lave see what happened to Liz?

4. Did Fleming kill "MJK"?

5. Was "MJK" an informant?

Cheers.
            LC

Comment

Going for a more general overview:

1. Is the real Jack the Ripper currently suspected in a public forum?

2. Does Jack the Ripper's known first name start before N in the alphabet?

3. Does Jack the Ripper's known surname start before N in the alphabet?

4a. (If yes is the answer to the second question) Does Jack the Ripper's known first name start before H in the alphabet?

4b. (If no is the answer to the second question) Does Jack the Ripper's known first name start before T in the alphabet?

5a. (If yes is the answer to the third question) Does Jack the Ripper's known surname start before H in the alphabet?

5b. (If no is the answer to the third question) Does Jack the Ripper's known surname start before T in the alphabet?
              "Damn it, Doc! Why did you have to tear up that letter? If only I had more time... Wait a minute, I got all the time I want! I got a time machine!"

Comment

Originally posted by Mort Belfry View Post
                Going for a more general overview:
                N
                Y
                N
                N
                Y
                N
                N

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
                  Do you bowl
                  Where the kids little brats
                  Which case was your biggest win
                  Can I have your wig and gown

[Well t was Montie]
                  I was going to ask for your wig and gown,,,however i'm too fat for the gown and have way too much hair for the wig

Steadmuind Brand
                  "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

While there are a lot of mysteries surrounding the case we’d all like answers to, my angle would be trying to narrow down who the killer’s identity through a process of elimination for as much that could be accomplished in 5 questions.

1) Was the murder more than 32 years old? (I’m sure a better number could be selected, but it’s a starting point. With this anybody 31 and younger could be eliminated)
                    2) Was Jack the Ripper Jewish? (perhaps a better question would be if the murderer was born outside of England but that’s debatable )
                    3) Was the killer incarcerated between the years 1888-1892? (if the answer is yes his name is in the records somewhere. If no, anybody jailed or put in an asylum during that period can be eliminated)
                    4) Was the ripper responsible for more than 5 murders after 1888? (more applicable as a follow-up if the answer to #3 is negative.
                    5) Was the killer alive in the year 1896? (again, a better number could probably be used but it would also eliminate a fair number of potential suspects either way.

Comment

1. Was Bury the Ripper?
                      2. Was the Torso Killer a Ripper suspect?
                      3. Did Jack kill Liz Stride?
                      4. Did Jack write the GSG?
                      5. Would Jack have been anything like as infamous without someone coming up with the Jack the Ripper name?

Comment

Originally posted by Steadmund Brand View Post
                        I was going to ask for your wig and gown,,,however i'm too fat for the gown and have way too much hair for the wig

Steadmuind Brand
                        Gowns are actually sold by height and if you are say 5'11" one size fits all from the anorexic to extreme obese.

I had a mate with a wild Afro and his wig sort of sat up on top of this 6" of hair.
                        G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnaby View Post
                          Beowulf's first question "Was it Kosminski?" is the correct strategy but should be used in all five questions. I would ask Tom the omniscient entity five "Was it (insert suspect)?" questions.

Best case scenario: The identity of Jack the Ripper is revealed.

Worst case (Next best?) scenario: Most of our favorite theories are decimated. Could you imagine if Kosminski, Druitt, Hutch, Kelly, and Cross were conclusively eliminated as suspects? Would Casebook survive? Would we be left debating if Lechmere is still viable because the question asked about Cross?

Seriously, the addition by subtraction advantage of asking about five "suspects" is the way to go in my opinion.
                          What if the multi-killer theorists are correct and there wasn't a 'Jack the Ripper'? You would still come away from the Q&A thinking there was, albeit it with a shortened list of suspects.

Comment

Originally posted by gnote View Post
                            While there are a lot of mysteries surrounding the case we’d all like answers to, my angle would be trying to narrow down who the killer’s identity through a process of elimination for as much that could be accomplished in 5 questions.

1) Was the murder more than 32 years old? (I’m sure a better number could be selected, but it’s a starting point. With this anybody 31 and younger could be eliminated)
                            2) Was Jack the Ripper Jewish? (perhaps a better question would be if the murderer was born outside of England but that’s debatable )
                            3) Was the killer incarcerated between the years 1888-1892? (if the answer is yes his name is in the records somewhere. If no, anybody jailed or put in an asylum during that period can be eliminated)
                            4) Was the ripper responsible for more than 5 murders after 1888? (more applicable as a follow-up if the answer to #3 is negative.
                            5) Was the killer alive in the year 1896? (again, a better number could probably be used but it would also eliminate a fair number of potential suspects either way.
                            Truth of the matter is that we have an enormous amount of evidence.

Once the misinformation is discarded,we only have one person left.

It is not my intention to troll or disrupt this Forum.

Last go at this unless requested.

Yes.
                            No.
                            No.
                            No.
                            No.

Comment

On "Star Trek" there was an episode about an artifical intelligence that could answer any question put to it. In keeping with this sci-fi flavor, here are my questions for The Guardian of Forever:

1) Was Jack the Ripper a human male?
                              2) Were the killings performed for the purpose of eliminating an alien parasite?
                              3) Did the murders cease because Jack the Ripper was abducted by exfraferrestrials?
                              4) Was Jack the Ripper a "terminator" robot from the future?
                              5) Were the killings performed for the purpose of harvesting human organs to feed Earth's alien overlords?
                              :-D ;-)
                              Last edited by Pcdunn; 06-04-2015, 04:24 PM. Reason: typo
                              Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
                              ---------------
                              Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                              ---------------

Comment

Originally posted by DJA View Post
                                Truth of the matter is that we have an enormous amount of evidence.

Once the misinformation is discarded,we only have one person left.

It is not my intention to troll or disrupt this Forum.

Last go at this unless requested.

Yes.
                                No.
                                No.
                                No.
                                No.
                                I don't spend enough time here to know who is trolling. Based upon your worthless response i can gather you're full of ****.

Comment

Working...
                                X