No announcement yet.

Paul Begg's Point to Ponder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I personally feel that without the Casebook, the explosion of information, new information in recent years would not have happend. This site has been such a positive in this field. It has developed so many issues surrounding and, sometimes, within the case.

I was reading Robin Odell's latest book, Ripperology, the other day and came across Don Rumbelows intro. In it he mentioned the antagonism and ego locking on the internet, and how it was down to the fact that we all can hide in cyberspace without the fear of meeting face to face.

Whilst I acknowledge that there is such a thing happening I think it was a rather unfair and misleading comment. I myself have, via the Casebook, gotten intouch with some excellent people. And, between us, ideas have bounced and research has flowed. It continues to do so.

And this is how progression is made.

Monty
    Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Hi guys, sorry Jonathon, I thought How brought up the point of help or hinderance.
      It was a good point and answered well.
      There was, at least until recently, certain Ripper related sites, were there "pet suspect" was driven down your throat, and the "Facts" that were presented were nothing short of "Drivel" and at times could have been considered "lible"
      I never posted on this site, as my research proved more or less all of their unsourced "facts" wrong, I tend to think that had I posted, their reactions would have put me off on posting on other sites.

Thankfully I discovered Ripper Casebook and Jtrforums.com and my research was accepted on the basis that it was well researched.

I think we are in a mindset of jumping on "Newbies" in the negative, especially when they come to the site and post questions which were discussed earlier in the sites history.

I have also witnessed attacks on people who have come forward claiming they are descendants, which is awful.

Over the period I have been posting I have met some really great folks on both the ripper sites I use, I have also met some not so nice, but were we might not agree on one thread, on another we may argue the same point.

As for hiding behind cyberspace, anyone is welcome to come to my hometown, I will gladly take you for a free tour around all the locations associated with Deeming, Stephenson, et al.
      Regardless of having a barney at some point.

At the end of the day, we are all looking for the same thing, some of us just have different methods and opinions!
      Regards Mike

Comment

In my opinion, these forums a far more a help than a hindrance. Or, to put it another way, far more good comes of them than bad.

I am also of the opinion that basic civility rules and the enforcement thereof is all that is needed, and it is being provided here. I will add the caveat that I never venture in to "Diaryland" simply because I not interested in the diary but I presume this basic enforcement is carried out there as well. With basic civility enforced it is then up to the poster/newcomer to decide whether he/she cares to participate.

Comment

For my own part, I have always found the forum to be fun, and informative, although sometimes I've felt attacked, but in many of those cases I felt I probably should have been, due to some mistake in my post. At any rate, I enjoy the posts, and the posting too much to fear being ridiculed.
          "Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning." Winston Churchill

Comment

The people on here should feel good that 'newbies' come to them for informed opinions on this subject. There's a lot to get through and I can fully understand if someone doesn't know the ins and outs of a long running debate (ie Maybrick Diary).
            Did you all know everything when you first came on that you do now?
            Roll up the lino, Mother. We're raising Behemoth tonight!

Comment

Well, I think it more of a hinderance on the boards when a volatile, exciting and exteremely interesting discussion is brought to a sudden close by someone fluffing their petticoats and flouncing off stage in a fit of pique.
              I myself don't like it when a newcomer is ridiculed, but these are the raw and untamed bashing boards of open and honest discussion, and things can get a little bloody and complicated.
              Bring it on I say... last man standing and all that.
              Things can get a little tame on the message boards at times, and I always think a healthy battle good for business.
              My thoughts in regard to the battlefield that is Maybrick Land is that it appears to be some kind of black hole that is swallowing up anything that comes within its domain; we can but hope that one day soon it will swallow itself.

Comment

Personally I think the diary is bobbins, but it was the longest debate I could remember off the top of my head.
                I am, however, prepared to go for the throat of the next person to start a 'bolster' thread
                Roll up the lino, Mother. We're raising Behemoth tonight!

Comment

Originally posted by steje73 View Post
                  I am, however, prepared to go for the throat of the next person to start a 'bolster' thread.
                  Pillow fight!!
                  Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

It's a funny old world isn't it?
                    I thought I didn't like Mr Begg. I thought he was a bit of a snob and a fanny, but after I listened to him talking on the podcast, and what he had to say, I like this guy, a lot.
                    I think the podcast has exposed the weakness of the message boards.

Comment

Or it could just have exposed the weakness of your own mind, will and tastes that you will choose to dislike someone you have never met for various reasons, then choose to like them for other various reasons, none of those reasons actually being based on anything relevant or real but instead on how you think he is based on two limited forms of communication.

Let all Oz be agreed;
                      I need a better class of flying monkeys.

Comment

Not really, Ally, I like him for his manner of gracious speaking, his inherent politeness, and his willingness to listen to the arguments of others.
                        That will do for me.

Comment

Aces. So as long as someone speaks well, is polite and listens to others for an hour, you think they are keen.

You and Ted Bundy would probably have been soul mates.

P.S I am not comparing Paul Begg to Ted Bundy, I am just saying that AP's method of choosing who he's going to like today is retarded.
                          Last edited by Ally; 04-08-2008, 09:46 PM.

Let all Oz be agreed;
                          I need a better class of flying monkeys.

Comment

Hi all,

I just wanted to add, the idea that someone new cannot be involved in diary discussions is a falsehood, many regulars on the diary boards were firmly established when I first started posting on them, now I am firmly established.

Also, all forms of media have limitations, they are useful for what they are desinged for. The Casebook, is the most useful intereactive website on the Ripper (indeed on any subject, that I use the web for). Of course there are limitations, but if someone is an idiot or is wrong, they are still an idiot or wrong, whether eveyone else tells them so or not.
                            Last edited by Jenni Shelden; 04-08-2008, 09:51 PM.
                            “be just and fear not”

Comment

I just wanted to add, the idea that someone new cannot be involved in diary discussions is a falsehood, many regulars on the dairy boards were firmly established when I first started posting on them, now I am firmly established.

There are dairy boards? Wow. I can't wait to post. Moo-hah!!!

c.d.

Comment

Before Sundays show I was lucky enough to speak to Mr. Paul Begg on a couple of occasions, and discovered he was actually a bloody nice bloke, knew his stuff, and was extremely funny.

It was a pleasure having him on the show, but I don't think the podcast has discovered the boards weakness, just provided another topic for discussion.
                                Regards Mike

Comment

Working...
                                X