Help Requests

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Requests

Hi all, just thought I'd kickstart this useful thread with a request of my own.

I'm looking for the comments made by a surgeon about the poor quality of the Whitechapel mortuary facilities.

I think it might have been Llewelyn at the Nichols inquest, but I can't be sure - unfortunately, all my Ripper books are in storage, as we gear up for a house move.

If someone can put up a link or even better actually post the quote, I would be very grateful. It's for my book and the deadline looms!

Cheers
    John

Hi John

Here is a link to the Inquest of Annie Chapman

I believe it was spoken by Mr. George Baxter Phillips, who said,
    George Baxter Phillips
    It was under great disadvantage I made my examination. As on many occasions I have met with the same difficulty, I now raise my protest, as I have before, that members of my profession should be called upon to perform their duties under these inadequate circumstances.
    The Coroner:
    The mortuary is not fitted for a post-mortem examination. It is only a shed. There is no adequate convenience, and nothing fit, and at certain seasons of the year it is dangerous to the operator.
    The Foreman:
    I think we can all endorse the doctor's view of it.
    The Coroner:
    As a matter of fact there is no public mortuary from the City of London up to Bow. There is one at Mile-end, but it belongs to the workhouse, and is not used for general purposes.

Hope this helps

Mike
    Regards Mike

Comment

Cheers, Mike, you're a star.

JB

Comment

Your welcome John,

I am glad I could help.

Mike
        Regards Mike

Comment

Oh, for a photo or even suitable drawing of it. All we've got is that really poor sketch.

PHILIP
          Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

Working...
          X