Recently watched movies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One hell of a movie!

I watched the French Police action film '36' on TV last night. Wow what a movie - for God's sake don't let them make a remake.

It was utterly brilliant.

Comment

• Originally posted by c.d. View Post
      "To Kill a Mockingbird" -- An absolutely perfect movie from start to finish. If you have never seen it, do yourself a favor and rent it.

c.d.
      Or even better, read the book. An absolute master piece!

We saw Sex, Drugs and Rock-n-Roll recently. It's a good film, but it turned me right off Ian Drury! I've seen him live several times and watched/heard interviews and always respected him greatly but I felt the fim painted him in a poor light. However, perhaps that was the real man and my impressions were distorted!

I have several favourite films, most of them old. In no particular order:

This Happy Breed
      Goodby Mr Chips (Robsert Donat version)
      One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
      Midnight Cowboy
      Taxi Driver
      Monty Python & the Holy Grail
      Life of Brian
      Blade Runner

I'm sure there's more but can't think of them right now!

Comment

• Hi Julie,

Yes, you are right. I should have recommended the book as well. In the introduction to the movie, they stated that "To Kill a Mockingbird" was voted by the National Association of Librarians (or something like that) as the best novel of the 20th century. By some estimates, it is also the most read book in American schools. Interestingly enough, today's newspaper (The Washington Post) had an article entitled "To kill a parable" relating how the book has recently come under fire from some critics. Apparently they are not happy that Atticus Finch did not do more to change the status quo. The article does a very nice job of defending the book and Harper Lee.

I spent some time reading the one star reviews of both the book and the movie on amazon.com. You have to wonder what these people are like. I think a number of them were from younger readers who couldn't begin to relate to the book or the movie. Very sad. But fortunately, they are in the minority and the vast majority recognize that both the book and the movie (which pleased Harper Lee) are both classics.

c.d.

Comment

• Goodbye Mr Chips

Limehouse,

I found the Robert Donat version to be a bit sickly and the Peter O'Toole version pukemaking but the latest Martin Clunes version to be excellent.

Comment

• Three of my favourites are :

Dead of Night
            Night of the Demon
            Dr Terror's House of Horrors

I found myself recently watching Star Trek 4 - the one about the whales. I'd seen it before, but it was good fun.

Comment

• I was watching Joy Ride last night and thats probably one of the most underrated films I've ever seen. Really cool set up and really spooky you never really see the killer hes just on a CB. Too bad the sequel was terrible maybe the third one will be good if they make it.
              Jordan

Comment

• Just saw The Illusionist with Edward Norton and Paul Giamatti. Then I watched 2 more times. great flick.
                "Is all that we see or seem
                but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
                quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

• Originally posted by Bob Hinton View Post
                  Limehouse,

I found the Robert Donat version to be a bit sickly and the Peter O'Toole version pukemaking but the latest Martin Clunes version to be excellent.
                  Hi Bob,

I haven't seen the other two versions. I couldn't ! Nothing could surpass that aching heartbreak experienced when Greer Garson died in childbirth!

The author of the original novel, James Hilton, once lived close to where I grew up as his father was headmaster at a local school. We were force fed Lost Horizon and Mr Chips as a matter of civic pride!

Comment

Hi Julie,

Yes, you are right. I should have recommended the book as well. In the introduction to the movie, they stated that "To Kill a Mockingbird" was voted by the National Association of Librarians (or something like that) as the best novel of the 20th century. By some estimates, it is also the most read book in American schools. Interestingly enough, today's newspaper (The Washington Post) had an article entitled "To kill a parable" relating how the book has recently come under fire from some critics. Apparently they are not happy that Atticus Finch did not do more to change the status quo. The article does a very nice job of defending the book and Harper Lee.

I spent some time reading the one star reviews of both the book and the movie on amazon.com. You have to wonder what these people are like. I think a number of them were from younger readers who couldn't begin to relate to the book or the movie. Very sad. But fortunately, they are in the minority and the vast majority recognize that both the book and the movie (which pleased Harper Lee) are both classics.

c.d.
                    Hi CD,

Of course, the film was magnificent too. It was so loyal to the novel and Peck was Atticus to the letter.

I first read the book aged 14 and, even though Harper Lee and I grew up twenty years and thousands of mile apart, I felt as though she had got into my head! We had a 'Boo Radley' (actually a female recluse) and a garden with 'poisoned conkers' and Scout's observations of the adults and the events that shaped her small world could have been my own.

Another great film of that era must be Inherit the Wind.

Comment

• Hi Julie,

Yes, Inherit the Wind is another classic. Both Spencer Tracy and Frederic March were great in it.

Is To Kill a Mockingbird pretty much on every high school reading list in England as it is here in America?

I'm sure you know that it was Robert Duvall (a now famous actor) who played Boo Radley.

c.d.

Comment

• Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
                        Just saw The Illusionist with Edward Norton and Paul Giamatti. Then I watched 2 more times. great flick.
                        I thought Edward Norton gave the performance of a lifetime in American History X. Same goes for Paul Giamatti in Sideways. Both great movies and great actors.
                        Jordan

Comment

• One of the best movies that I have seen in a very long time. . . . "Law Abiding Citiczen" It is an amazing movie, and you have got to see it!

Joseph

Comment

• Originally posted by ChainzCooper View Post
                            I thought Edward Norton gave the performance of a lifetime in American History X. Same goes for Paul Giamatti in Sideways. Both great movies and great actors.
                            Jordan
                            Hi Chainz
                            have not seen AH X, but I own Sideways-great comedy and Paul Giamatti is hilarious
                            "Is all that we see or seem
                            but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
                            quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Hi Julie,

Yes, Inherit the Wind is another classic. Both Spencer Tracy and Frederic March were great in it.

Is To Kill a Mockingbird pretty much on every high school reading list in England as it is here in America?

I'm sure you know that it was Robert Duvall (a now famous actor) who played Boo Radley.

c.d.
                              Hi CD,

Yes, To Kill a Mockingbird is on the GCSE reading list, although it is usually read by the high ability groups. Thirty six years ago, I studied it for my O Level English syllabus and all these years later, it is still on the list.

Another book/film studied then and now is Of Mice and Men - and it is very popular with boys.

Also, An Inspector Calls - studied then and now - and also a good read and an excellent film (I also saw the play in the West End some years ago).

Yes, Robert Duvall made a superb Boo Radley! An very good actor in my opinion.

Julie

Comment

• Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
                                Hi Chainz
                                have not seen AH X, but I own Sideways-great comedy and Paul Giamatti is hilarious
                                Yeah I don't know if I would label it a comedy though there are a lot of funny moments in it. The scene where Giamatti's ex tells him at the wedding that shes pregnant and seeing his reaction -he just falls apart, you see it in his eyes. Man, that scenes a real heartbreaker
                                Cool talking to you
                                Jordan

Comment

Working...
                                X