Philip Sugden

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Philip Sugden

Would anyone know how I could contact Mr. Sugden? I have several specific methodolgical inquiries. Thank You anyone who can help.
    We are all born cute as a button and dumb as rocks. We grow out of cute fast!

I don't know anyone who has actually said they know him, and I only know one person (and we all know who that is with three initials...) who has told me they've had any contact with him.

PHILIP
    Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

You could try by sending a letter to him in care of his publisher. They might possibly forward it to him. It could be worth a try.

Bulldog

Comment

protohistorian, Philip & Bulldog,

Originally posted by George Hutchinson View Post
        I don't know anyone who has actually said they know him, and I only know one person (and we all know who that is with three initials...) who has told me they've had any contact with him.

PHILIP
        Funny you should say that Philip. That person says he hasnt spoken to Mr Sugden for months and was just about to do so around Christmas time. Im not sure contact was made but Phil certainly hadnt contacted he with the 3 initials for a while.

Prohistorian,

Phillip Sugden is indeed one of THE greatest historians on the subject. However his interest in Jack has wained and, from what I am told, he isnt the slightest bit interested in the subject anymore. To quote another..'he has moved on'.

If you wish to persist PM or mail me and I shall make enquiries, however I dont hold much hope Im afraid, sorry.

Monty
        Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

I read he wasn't interested, anymore. There's book out by a Philip Sugden, a gorgeous book on the Himalayas, but I haven't figured out yet if this is the same Philip.
          "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

protohistorian,

SPE offers what he knows about Sugden on the other thread about this topic.

I find it amazing that Sugden could devote so much time to researching JtR, write (in my opinion) the best book available on the subject, and then just walk away from it. Although, I suppose if more Ripper authors followed his example some of them wouldn't end up becoming so weird.

Comment

I don't think Phillip Sugden sees himself as a Ripper author (or even as a Ripperologist), more as an Historian. And he's moved on to other subjects.

Rob

Comment

Originally posted by The Grave Maurice View Post
                I suppose if more Ripper authors followed his example some of them wouldn't end up becoming so weird.
                To quote street slang, GM, 'Word!'

PHILIP
                Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

Mr Sugden's book is my personal favourite among all the Ripper literature I've read. I dont think Id still be as interested today If I hadnt read it.

Its almost impossible to be completely objective about everything in these cases,...Im fairly sure he is in fact human after all..., but he comes as close as Ive seen.

Best regards all.

Comment

I don't think it would be unfair to see the whole of Ripperological research since the publication of Sugden's book as a tidying up of his footnotes (maybe with the odd minor revision to the body of the text).

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                      I don't think it would be unfair to see the whole of Ripperological research since the publication of Sugden's book as a tidying up of his footnotes (maybe with the odd minor revision to the body of the text).
                      I certainely do not wish to imply anything improper within the methodology and give him great credit for his work, it seems thorough and comprehensive.
                      point
                      1. was what what was the criteria for inclusion of material he investigated, I am ass-u-ming that there was some kind of cognitive filter for inclusion or not, what would he have considered important, and what material would have set off his alarms.
                      2. What was the extent pf research into George Chapman's time in Poland.
                      I ask because I am in the history program here and I would willingly pursue avenues he might suggest, but my spare time is not so great that I can have an unfocused research project. Thank you all for responding, you have been very helpful. Warmest regards Dave

Comment

Hi Dave,

Check your Private Messages (upper right). Maybe you can swing me a growler of John Brown Ale.

JM

Comment

Originally posted by protohistorian View Post
                          2. What was the extent pf research into George Chapman's time in Poland.
                          I ask because I am in the history program here and I would willingly pursue avenues he might suggest, but my spare time is not so great that I can have an unfocused research project.
                          I'm not sure Sugden did any research at all in Polish sources - I think the information about Chapman's Polish career all came from the documents found in his possession when he was arrested, which were printed as an appendix to Hargrave Adam's book on his trial.

It may indeed be possible to discover some new information in Polish records, though Polish research is a slow and laborious business. I know Gareth Williams (who posts as "Sam Flynn" here) has done some work in this area.

Comment

Thanks, Chris - indeed, I have tried to find out as much as I can, but needless to say the events of the 1940s put paid to a significant amount of Polish historical records, and there's often not much left to go on.

To give but one example, I found myself having to scour enormous hi-res maps of pre-war Poland before I could even find a reference to Kłosowski's birthplace - commonly given as "Nagornak", but actually Nagórna. Now, Nagórna itself doesn't seem to have been obliterated by the Nazis (there's no mention of it in Hilberg's definitive 3-volume The Destruction of the European Jews, for example. On the contrary, Severin's birthplace appears to have been swallowed up by the nearby town of Koło (whence the name "(K[o]ło)sowski", I'm sure) and it no longer exists as a separate entity.

I'll say no more on this Sugden-related thread, but there's other stuff on Kłosowski that I've already posted, and some which I'm saving for a rainy day
                            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                              Thanks, Chris - indeed, I have tried to find out as much as I can, but needless to say the events of the 1940s put paid to a significant amount of Polish historical records, and there's often not much left to go on.

To give but one example, I found myself having to scour enormous hi-res maps of pre-war Poland before I could even find a reference to Kłosowski's birthplace - commonly given as "Nagornak", but actually Nagórna. Now, Nagórna itself doesn't seem to have been obliterated by the Nazis (there's no mention of it in Hilberg's definitive 3-volume The Destruction of the European Jews, for example. On the contrary, Severin's birthplace appears to have been swallowed up by the nearby town of Koło (whence the name "(K[o]ło)sowski", I'm sure) and it no longer exists as a separate entity.

I'll say no more on this Sugden-related thread, but there's other stuff on Kłosowski that I've already posted, and some which I'm saving for a rainy day
                              You are correct sir, I have found this place on a 1944 allied map, but it is gone on one prepared in 1966. Respectfully Dave P. S. The 44 map has it as 22 buildings sitting on a ridge to the northwest of kolo. North 52 degrees 12 minutes and 30 seconds E 18 degrees 39 minutes Respectfully Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X