Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kindle or paper book? Your views please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I take your point Helen.
    However, I spend most of my working day at a PC.
    When I go home for "my time", do I want to sit at a PC? Not if I can help it! I'd rather sit in a comfy chair, with a piping hot cuppa, & a good book.

I don't have a tablet or similar. No mad urge to get anything like that either, at this time.

Comment

Originally posted by lemonjelly View Post
      I take your point Helen.
      However, I spend most of my working day at a PC.
      When I go home for "my time", do I want to sit at a PC? Not if I can help it! I'd rather sit in a comfy chair, with a piping hot cuppa, & a good book.

I don't have a tablet or similar. No mad urge to get anything like that either, at this time.
      Yes, me too. I would never read a whole book on the computer. Gives me eye strain.

I bought Sugden's book on Kindle because I could have it that instant for £2.99 (and no postage of course) and could search it electronically for the small bits I wanted to quote in my own book.

Like others have said, I find that I enjoy the physical "experience" of a book. I like to fling one in my bag to read on a train, or flight, or lay in the bath reading one. I like to linger over photos and maps etc, and show the book to others. People like to look at the covers and read the blurb on the back. Authors cannot sign Kindle books, and you can't exactly give one as a present with a handwritten dedication inside!

Helena
      Helena Wojtczak BSc (Hons) FRHistS.

Author of 'Jack the Ripper at Last? George Chapman, the Southwark Poisoner'. Click this link : - http://www.hastingspress.co.uk/chapman.html

Comment

Originally posted by HelenaWojtczak View Post
        Like others have said, I find that I enjoy the physical "experience" of a book. I like to fling one in my bag to read on a train, or flight, or lay in the bath reading one. I like to linger over photos and maps etc, and show the book to others. People like to look at the covers and read the blurb on the back. Authors cannot sign Kindle books, and you can't exactly give one as a present with a handwritten dedication inside!

Helena
        That's why physical books, rather than electronic ones, get my vote usually.

I would suggest both, however. How would a limited print run (which can always be repeated should one sell out) and an e-version appeal to you as a publisher AND author?

JB

Comment

Originally posted by John Bennett View Post
          That's why physical books, rather than electronic ones, get my vote.

I would suggest both, however. How would a limited print run (which can always be repeated should one sell out) and an e-version appeal to you as a publisher AND author?

JB
          Hi John

You have correctly intuited my plan, which is to publish on Kindle first, then re-make the book completely for a print version to be published in January.

The problem with short print runs is that they are extremely expensive. After the printer and the wholesaler have taken their cut, it's a struggle to break even.

Putting up the price to allow a small profit margin upsets potential purchasers and puts them off. (Mind you, in my case, if they don't want to pay that much they can go for the Kindle version.)

Popular books are cheap because the longer the print run, the cheaper each book is per copy. That is how WHSmiths can sell three fat paperbacks for a fiver - because they are printed in their thousands and only cost about 30p a book. A short print run can cost as much as £5 a book.

Helena

Author of 'Jack the Ripper at Last? George Chapman, the Southwark Poisoner'. Click this link : - http://www.hastingspress.co.uk/chapman.html

Comment

Hi Helena

I wasn't aware that small print runs can be punitive financially, but you explained it well!

JB

Comment

Just throwing out an idea - how about a limited edition HC first edition priced to a profit and done by subscription?
              Managing Editor
              Casebook Wiki

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Robert Anderson View Post
                Just throwing out an idea - how about a limited edition HC first edition priced to a profit and done by subscription?
                Hi "Sir Robert" :-)

Yes it is a great idea.

There is nothing I would like more than to publish this book in hardback. My two most recent books are HB and I am very proud of the way they look and feel.

I had a quote recently for a hardback for the Chapman book, and it was double the cost of a paperback, so that would be reflected in the price and yet to keep it at a reasonable price there still would not be any profit in it for me, unless all sales were made direct from me to the buyers. Nearly all my book sales these days are via Amazon, (who take 50% of my cover price).

The problem with getting up a subscription is, how would I contact the potential subscribers? Where could one advertise such a thing without getting told off or banned? Facebook comes to mind... but that's a bit random isn't it, in terms of trying to find interested people.

I'd have to get about 100 people to subscribe upfront. Do you think that would be possible?

Helena

Comment

Originally posted by John Bennett View Post
                  Hi Helena

I wasn't aware that small print runs can be punitive financially, but you explained it well!

JB

Agreed, but economies of scale are always going to favour the large print run, whic is one of the reasons I am a Kindle advocate.

Comment

Originally posted by EddieX View Post
                    Agreed, but economies of scale are always going to favour the large print run, whic is one of the reasons I am a Kindle advocate.
                    And have you voted as such, Mr Eddie? :-)

Yes indeed, my last two books I published in hardback, but in print runs of 2,000 copies it was financially feasible and I recouped my outlay on each book within weeks of publication.

This one I am not so sure about. Interest in Chapman seems to have ebbed somewhat.

Helena

Comment

And have you voted as such, Mr Eddie? :-)
                      Hello Helena,

Being of tender years and relatively new to the forum, I am not yet able to vote.

Also, I should practicise what preach and get myself a Kindle. My enthusiasm for the device comes from Mrs Eddie, and the fact that due to her Kindle she was able to take her fortnight's holiday reading without going over her baggage allowance.

Ed

Comment

Hi "Sir Robert" :-)

Yes it is a great idea.

There is nothing I would like more than to publish this book in hardback. My two most recent books are HB and I am very proud of the way they look and feel.

The problem with getting up a subscription is, how would I contact the potential subscribers? Where could one advertise such a thing without getting told off or banned? Facebook comes to mind... but that's a bit random isn't it, in terms of trying to find interested people.

I'd have to get about 100 people to subscribe upfront. Do you think that would be possible?

Helena
                        Stephen and Ally have always been extremely supportive of writers. So you could ask them if you could get featured on Ripper Media. I could put it up on the Casebook Wiki. How Brown at JTRForums is also highly supportive of authors but I can't really mention the other place here. Find your way by the North Star.

And Facebook of course. Ripper Conference 2013 and The Maybrick Diary and Watch Discussion Group which talks about anything but Maybrick cause it is like herding fXXking cats I tell you.

People have done this here in the past. Thomas Schachner for one. Ask him how he did it; he's on Facebook.

OK then. Dibs on copy #1. This will kill Christian Jaud. (Private joke.)
                        Managing Editor
                        Casebook Wiki

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Robert Anderson View Post
                          Stephen and Ally have always been extremely supportive of writers. So you could ask them if you could get featured on Ripper Media. I could put it up on the Casebook Wiki. How Brown at JTRForums is also highly supportive of authors but I can't really mention the other place here. Find your way by the North Star.

And Facebook of course. Ripper Conference 2013 and The Maybrick Diary and Watch Discussion Group which talks about anything but Maybrick cause it is like herding fXXking cats I tell you.

People have done this here in the past. Thomas Schachner for one. Ask him how he did it; he's on Facebook.

OK then. Dibs on copy #1. This will kill Christian Jaud. (Private joke.)
                          Thank you for these pointers Mr A. and for your esteemed order for a HB, much appreciated :-)

I admit that my talents lie in research and writing; my marketing skills are extremely weak...no, let's face facts, they are virtually non existent.

I see the poll now shows a marked preference for printed books. I have found a company that will print paperbacks only when one is ordered by the customer (or by me). It would be very satisfying to also produce it in hardback. I will have to give it some thought.

I think Christian ordered a copy of my book a year ago, but not HB, that has only just been promulgated.

Thanks again, Helena

Comment

I see the poll now shows a marked preference for printed books. I have found a company that will print paperbacks only when one is ordered by the customer (or by me). It would be very satisfying to also produce it in hardback. I will have to give it some thought.
                            I believe that both Lulu and Createspace offer such a service for hardcover as well as paperback.

Here's an idea, if you include a QR code and password in your book, you could have an electonic version online for people who purchase a hardcopy.
                            “Sans arme, sans violence et sans haine”

Comment

Originally posted by Magpie View Post
                              I believe that both Lulu and Createspace offer such a service for hardcover as well as paperback.

Here's an idea, if you include a QR code and password in your book, you could have an electonic version online for people who purchase a hardcopy.
                              Hello Sgt Magpie

Grateful for any ideas, thank you! I sourced a quote from Lightning Source. CreateSpace would charge postage from the USA, LS are in the UK.

If only I knew what QR code was....

Helena

Comment

For non fiction, I much prefer paper books. I often go back and forth in my reading/research, and it's tedious on e-readers.

For fiction, if it's more than 400 pages (since I always carry a book with me), I will take digital copies. Also digital copies if I plan to read while I travel.

I must add that I dislike the kindle format, I much prefer epub through Kobo. I bought Tom Wescott's book on kindle, and for some reason it disappeared from my library and my history purchase. Since it's now available in print in Canada, I re ordered it. Grrr!
                                Last edited by SirJohnFalstaff; 10-08-2015, 06:53 PM.
                                Is it progress when a cannibal uses a fork?
                                - Stanislaw Jerzy Lee

Comment

Working...
                                X