Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mary Ann Connelly as witness being targetted?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by miss marple View Post
    I can't imagine Jack went around asking prostitutes their names, before deciding which one to murder.

''Sarah? Sorry gotta go.

Miss Marple
    LOL. That would be something, wouldn't it. But I agree that's very unlikely.

Yours truly

Tom Wescott

Comment

How odd or unlikely is it for a punter to turn up in well known places asking for a certain type of girl?

I would think not very. Prostitutes mostly approached punters first.

In fact according to one witness prostitutes will say ANYTHING but their prayers.
      Bona fide canonical and then some.

Comment

Originally posted by miss marple View Post
        I can't imagine Jack went around asking prostitutes their names, before deciding which one to murder.

''Sarah? Sorry gotta go.

Miss Marple
        As we know they all used their real names too.
        G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
          If they didn't use their real names we should put them down as suspects.

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
            Funny thing is, if you use their real names, you only connect 3/5.

If you use their aliases you connect 5/5.

Well done.

Comment

The name Mary was incredibly common at the time, as any family history enthusiast will sadly confirm.

Many Mary's used their middle names to differentiate themselves from other family members with the same name. Middle names like Jane and Ann were the commonest ones used. They still were when I was born, my middle name is Jane and my sister's is Ann.

The name Ann or Annie was also very very common as a forename. As were Elizabeth and Catherine too. Polly was usually a nickname, but again very common indeed.

Until very recently most people's forenames were chosen from a very small pool of traditional names.

So whilst this looks like a pattern it is almost certainly just the sheer ubiquitousness of a handful of names.

Comment

Originally posted by Azarna View Post
                The name Mary was incredibly common at the time, as any family history enthusiast will sadly confirm.

Many Mary's used their middle names to differentiate themselves from other family members with the same name. Middle names like Jane and Ann were the commonest ones used. They still were when I was born, my middle name is Jane and my sister's is Ann.

The name Ann or Annie was also very very common as a forename. As were Elizabeth and Catherine too. Polly was usually a nickname, but again very common indeed.

Until very recently most people's forenames were chosen from a very small pool of traditional names.

So whilst this looks like a pattern it is almost certainly just the sheer ubiquitousness of a handful of names.
                Yes they are common. Which although would be a nice way to falsify this hypothesis may only add to why such a number where killed so quickly before suddenly stopping.

Comment

Mary was the most popular girl's name in England and Wales between 1800 and 1880. All the forenames of the Ripper victims were in the top twelve of female names in 1880.

Comment

When did Mary Ann Connelly die?

Comment

Hi all

I came across this charmer 30th August 1884.

Charles Goodchild, Private 1st Battalion Coldstream Guards.
                      Gatekeeper of the Guards hospital in Rochester Row Westminister.

Alleged assault on Emily M'enie, wife of a chemist living at 32 Cologne road Clapham.

She testified she was visiting a friend in Lillington street, between 11 and 12 she was waiting for a cab with her hostess Emily Crane and her servant on the corner of Rochester Row.
                      Goodchild came by and uttered a very offensive expression, then put his hand under her chin, when this conduct was resented, he pushed a baked potato into her face and knocked her into the roadway.
                      He went into the hospital a few yards distant, she went there and rang the bell with the object of obtaining his name, whereupon he appeared at the gate, siezed her by the throat, dragged her inside and very roughly handled her.
                      He then threw her into the street, this last witnessed by PC Pocock 482B who was responding to screams and cries for help.
                      Emily Crane's evidence contained discrepancies according to the magistrate.
                      Goodchild's defence was that her conduct was not that of a respectable married woman, she pushed against him and when he brushed her aside she became excited and tore his tunic, she then followed him to the hospital where he ejected her.
                      He was 'certainly drunk' according to the press report. An officer of the CG testified to his good character and he was bailed pending remand.
                      (Welsh Newspapers Online)
                      All the best.

Comment

Working...
                      X