Mr. Rippers Neighborhood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mr. Rippers Neighborhood

It occurs to me that we have maps, census data,directory data, and expertise. If we as a community were so inclined we could reconstruct Mr. Ripper's neighborhood with a startling degree of accuracy and detail. Just a thought. Anyone have any responses? Dave
    We are all born cute as a button and dumb as rocks. We grow out of cute fast!

Alright, but would it be a beautiful day...and would he put on slippers?

(I can just see the Brits scratching their heads and wondering what the heck I'm talking about.)

Comment

Would it be Mr. Ripper's neighborhood any other way? Dave

Comment

peeping in Mr. Rippers Neighborhood

I was just looking through one of the windows in the castle of make believe and they were watching "From Hell". Dave

Comment

on making an addy friendly version of Simon's map

If someone good with photo editing software could chop Simon's map up into overlapping pieces with Intersection corner at the boundaries, such a map could be blown u to a convenient size for the operator to add the addys because the maps will get rescaled when they get loaded into google earth. As an example you could take a dime size chunk, make it an elephant, write on it, and post it to CB. I will take the elephant, load it into ge, scale it back to a dime, save it as a kmz file, and repost it. The map modifications are our first priority. Dave

Comment

Rather than chopping Simons map

if people could make kmz files on the 1888 ord survey overlay, so we are all on the same sheet of music. Post the kmz files as attachments to this thread, and we can all compile them together. Dave

Comment

so here is an example

Here is a kmz based on the 1888 ord. survey overlay. This entry is for 32 Dorset St. If you right click on the pin after you have installed the kmz, you will see an option called "properties". In the properties of this KMZ you will find facts listed top down, and then periodically, the source for the above facts. In this case, Casebook and Postal Directory. I will try to do at least one of these a day. This is something we all can do and all collectively benefit from. Dave
              Attached Files

Comment

I humbly request

Please if any of you can shed light on the addys withinthis area, please do. Other maps are very helpful. I eventually want to be able to know all the buildings within the red lines. Dave
                Attached Files

Comment

a small example

So here is a small example of what I am on about. The kmz is of butchers row. Embedded in the pin. Left click will expose the link, in this case the thread that had the goad map. A right click exposes a sub menu, with properties at the bottom. Select properties and a box opens. These contain the link and the 1888 postal directory entry. All manner of data can be linked in this box. I would like to get as much of the murder district as possible with as much data as possible. Dave

Comment

following some wise counsel

Having had it explained to me that ad hoc was the mode of progression in this task, here are the goad maps I have so far from the casebook. I am working on the mitre square one now. I always appreciate when someone helps by pointing me in a useful direction, Thank You. Dave

the ones on these links!
                    General discussion about anything Ripper related that does not fall into a specific sub-category. On topic-Ripper related posts only.

Attached Files

Comment

MRH as of 06-09-2010

As one can plainly see plenty of area to suggest a detailed map for. A map that I can get addresses from. Dave
                      Attached Files

Comment

Discussion for general Whitechapel geography, mapping and routes the killer might have taken. Also the place for general census information and "what was it like in Whitechapel" discussions.

Map and research by John Bennett.
                        Sink the Bismark

Comment

ongratulations Roy!

Your my new best friend! Dave that was supposed to be congratulations.

Comment

Whitechapel 1888 Maps

The ripperArt Map and Map booklet are now out of print, but we have even more detailed ones now at http://www.jacktherippermap.info/

There is also a link near the bottom of the page to a Google Earth tour of Whitechapel as it is today. I should add some information on what the streets are called now as some were renamed in the late 1880's. I'll get around to it soon.

Regards.

Geoff

Comment

Thank You CooperGL

Thanks for the tip! Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X