Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
General Suspect Discussion: Only one suspect can be shown to have carried a knife. - by MrBarnett 8 minutes ago.
Witnesses: Packer and the Pinchin Street torso - by Abby Normal 11 minutes ago.
General Suspect Discussion: Only one suspect can be shown to have carried a knife. - by MrBarnett 25 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by Joshua Rogan 34 minutes ago.
Witnesses: Packer and the Pinchin Street torso - by Joshua Rogan 1 hour and 3 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by Elamarna 1 hour and 13 minutes ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - (67 posts)
General Suspect Discussion: Only one suspect can be shown to have carried a knife. - (47 posts)
Visual Media: New play about Jack the Ripper (Denver, CO) - (3 posts)
Martha Tabram: Probibility of Martha Tabram Being a JtR Victim - (3 posts)
Non-Fiction: Scholes of the Yard: The Casebook of a Scotland Yard Detective 1888 to 1924 - (2 posts)
Witnesses: Packer and the Pinchin Street torso - (2 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Suspects > Lechmere/Cross, Charles

Old 06-27-2017, 11:19 AM
Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post
Mmm. But this is about the Nichols murder only - that is where he is the prime suspect.

As a matter of fact, Nobody may be the phantom killer we are looking for on the streets surrounding Bucks Row - clearly, Neil said that there was Nobody.

I rate Lechmere the number one suspect in Bucks Row, with Nobody coming in as the second best bid.

And I rank Nobody as the first bid in the other cases, with Lechmere coming in as the contender.
Fair enough, sir, fair enough. I used to believe that Somebody was good for the other killings, but I now think he was framed for something Nobody did. I'm not saying Somebody did nothing, but Nobody definitely had something to do with it.

Decimus Iunius Iuvenalis - Satire III
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 11:22 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Flower View Post
Fair enough, sir, fair enough. I used to believe that Somebody was good for the other killings, but I now think he was framed for something Nobody did. I'm not saying Somebody did nothing, but Nobody definitely had something to do with it.
Have you considered that it may have been Anybody who did for Stride?
Old 06-27-2017, 11:25 AM
Inspector

Quote:
Anybody be damned! Everybody killed Stride!

Old 06-27-2017, 11:30 AM
Assistant Commissioner

Quote:
Thinking of Stride and the Club, were we not recently told it was Everybody rather than Anybody.

Steve

Update Henry beat me.
Old 06-27-2017, 11:35 AM
Commisioner

Well, at least we seem to have gotten Nobody off the hook, and thatīs a good thing. I think he is underrated in Ripperological circuits, and that he was a good guy.
After all, Nobody seems to have had the solution, we all agree on that. And Nobody accused Lechmere.

Case closed, Anybody?
Old 06-27-2017, 11:40 AM
Inspector

Quote:
Well, at least we seem to have gotten Nobody off the hook, and thatīs a good thing. I think he is underrated in Ripperological circuits, and that he was a good guy.
After all, Nobody seems to have had the solution, we all agree on that. And Nobody accused Lechmere.

Case closed, Anybody?
"And don't call me Shirley!"

Old 06-27-2017, 11:41 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Flower View Post
"And don't call me Shirley!"
!!!
Old 06-27-2017, 01:05 PM
Suspended

In Alice Mackenzie's inquest , Dr. George Baxter Phillips said:

Quote:
The wound in the neck was 4 in. long, reaching from the back part of the muscles, which were almost entirely divided. It reached to the fore part of the neck to a point 4 in. below the chin. There was a second incision, which must have commenced from behind and immediately below the first. The cause of death was syncope, arising from the loss of blood through the divided carotid vessels, and such death probably was almost instantaneous

As I stated, breathing will stop very very soon because the death in this case will happen very fast after almost severing the head from the body, almost in one minute, therefore I conclude two things:

- If Paul had detected breathing, that means only one thing, Charles Allen Lechmere was Jack the Ripper.

- The throat cut may very will happened next, when Lechmere noticed Paul coming, and I think, from this event, Lechmere had learned to start by cutting the throat first in his next murders.
Old 06-27-2017, 01:22 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Further to this, I would like to point to how it would be reasonable to interpret any movement at the chest as part of the respiration. The chest heaves when breathing, and so it is logical to think that any movement in it has to do with breathing.
Furthermore, when Paul felt her chest, he would not anticipate the kind of twitch that is tied to having been recently murdered by the infliction of sharp violence - he would presumably have thought that the woman was either drunk or dead on behalf of some natural cause. So he would not have expected whatever he felt at the chest to be anything but breathing, methinks.
A stirring movement, a sort of soft twitch or something like that would very probably go down as breathing in Pauls mind, if I am making a correct assessment of the situation.

Once more, we will never be able to decide WHAT Paul felt, but it is important to note that he seemingly felt SOMETHING, and that does not bode well for Lechmere in my book. Maybe a medico will allow for a significant time of twitching, thus keeping the door ajar for the "phantom killer" - most medicos are reluctant to rule anything at all out.

Weīll see.

I will say this: It is good to have this discussion opened up. Before the Lechmere case was put before the boards, there was no such discussion at all, and Nichols was a case the fewest took any primary interest in. If Lechmere was the killer, then we have had the info all along about how Nichols bled for many minutes and how she seemingly produced a movement in her chest as Paul felt her. To think that htis has been allowed to pass uncommented on more or less for so many years is mindboggling. I have even encountered a Ripper author of some repute and fame (no names mentioned) who claimed that as far as he knew, Stride was the only victim that was found while still bleeding! Another poster said, five years ago or so, that he didnīt think Lechmere would be discussed at all in ten years time.
There is still five years to go before we know if he was right or wrong. My money is firmly on the latter bid.

Dripping erodes stone. Thatīs a good thing. Time speaks for Lechmere, as far as I can see.
1. Was Paul a reliable person? He made biased statements in the article where he is first referred to.

2. Are the newspaper articles about breathing reliable? They differ a lot.

Pierre
Old 06-27-2017, 01:31 PM
Commisioner

[quote=Fisherman;419632]

Mmm. But this is about the Nichols murder only -
Quote:
that is where he is the prime suspect.
Lechmere was never a suspect. And he is no suspect now. He is your brain model.

Quote:
As a matter of fact, Nobody may be the phantom killer we are looking for on the streets surrounding Bucks Row - clearly, Neil said that there was Nobody.
Phantoms do not exist and that is your silly point.

"Neil said..." is exactly the same silly point.

Quote:
I rate Lechmere the number one suspect in Bucks Row, with Nobody coming in as the second best bid.
I rate the serial killer as the killer in Buckīs Row, with Lechmere as the finder of his victim.

Quote:
And I rank Nobody as the first bid in the other cases, with Lechmere coming in as the contender.
And I rank the serial killer as the killer in the other cases, with Lechmere being nowhere near.