The Whitechapel Conspiracy - Anne Perry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Whitechapel Conspiracy - Anne Perry

I recently obtained a used, hardbound copy of Anne Perry's book entitled The Whitechapel Conspiracy and just had to recommend it to you. It may make use of the Royal Conspiracy Theory nonsense but, it's still great reading nonetheless. I strongly recommend it's reading.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by denn034; 06-05-2008, 11:57 PM. Reason: Add Book Photo and Change Word

denn,

You're quite right. Despite latching on to one of the more implausible theories associated with JtR, Perry handles the subject quite well. I always enjoy her work and, with summer looming, no one could go wrong by taking a copy of The Whitechapel Conspiracy to the beach (or wherever).

Comment

Is she the one who murdered a woman with a brick?
      This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

Stan, how do you always know this stuff? Yes, Perry and a girlfriend were convicted of killing the girlfriend's mother with a brick (well, half a brick, actually) when they were both about 13. The story formed the basis of the 1994 film Heavenly Creatures, starring Kate Winslet.

Comment

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. There's a lot of suspense in it. The fact that it's a conspiracy book didn't decrease my enjoyment of it at all.

I know she was involved in a murder when young, but her message, as an adult, is morality and decency.
          "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

Hi Maurice,

I liked Heavenly Creatures and have it around here somewhere on tape.

Stan Reid

Comment

Originally posted by The Grave Maurice View Post
              Stan, how do you always know this stuff? Yes, Perry and a girlfriend were convicted of killing the girlfriend's mother with a brick (well, half a brick, actually) when they were both about 13. The story formed the basis of the 1994 film Heavenly Creatures, starring Kate Winslet.
              Maurice,

That was a great film! It has a really ethereal atmosphere. Every so often the Australian and New Zealand movie-makers come up with a gem, and this is one of them. I love it - probably because it gets a little closer to home that one is willing to admit.....

I too would love to know how Stan knows this stuff...

Cheers,

Graham
              We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

Anne was almost 16 when she and Pauline murdered Mrs. Parker.

Stan Reid

Comment

I just read it and found it to be a quick and compelling read. Apparently the maid in the story believes that Eddowes was the last victim and the worst of the murders, though she still says that there are 5 victims.

I guess she likes Tabram as a canonical.

Comment

My favorite remembered lines from "Heavenly Creatures" (approximate):

"When I die I'm going to Heaven."
                    "I'm not, I'm going to the Fourth World. It's a lot like Heaven, but without so many Christians."

Comment

Working...
                    X