The Limehouse Golem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Limehouse Golem

I'm not sure it belongs in this section, not really being a ripper book, but has anyone read Peter Ackroyd's "Dan Leno and the Limehouse Golem"? It's apparently a mystery concerning a series of brutal murders in 1880s London, pre-Jack.
    It's been on my reading list for a while now, but being somewhat ambivalent about the only other book I've read by him, I've never got around to it.....should I give it a whirl?

Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
    I'm not sure it belongs in this section, not really being a ripper book, but has anyone read Peter Ackroyd's "Dan Leno and the Limehouse Golem"? It's apparently a mystery concerning a series of brutal murders in 1880s London, pre-Jack.
    It's been on my reading list for a while now, but being somewhat ambivalent about the only other book I've read by him, I've never got around to it.....should I give it a whirl?
    I've never read it, but it sounds interesting. Thanks!
    - Ginger

Comment

The movie starring Alan Rickman should not be too far away.
      My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

Ah, might have guessed you'd be aware of the upcoming film version. I think perhaps I'll wait for that. I only found out about the movie when trying to find out whether or not the book is based on a real series of murders. Anybody know? Or would that be a spoiler?

Comment

Comment

I read the book quite a few years ago, it's an excellent read and beautifully written.

I can highly recommend it,

Comment

I agree. I enjoyed the story and the writing. The US edition is titled The Trial of Elizabeth Cree. The book is fiction although it refers to real contemporary figures and has allusions to the Maybrick case.

Comment

Cheers chaps.
                Hmm, maybe I will give it a go then. Next question....do I read the book before or after seeing the film?

Comment

Read the book first. Its a great read with a twist. Ackroyd has looked at several murders and invented an interesting murder mystery using some of the elements of Music Hall, and Religion and East End life in the mix. All Ackroyd's novels are worth reading as they are steeped in London History,

Miss Marple

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
                    Cheers chaps.
                    Hmm, maybe I will give it a go then. Next question....do I read the book before or after seeing the film?
                    Book.
                    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by The Grave Maurice View Post
                      I agree. I enjoyed the story and the writing. The US edition is titled The Trial of Elizabeth Cree. The book is fiction although it refers to real contemporary figures and has allusions to the Maybrick case.
                      How lovely to have you back on board, GM! I haven't seen you around for a couple of years.

Love,

Caz
                      X
                      "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

Originally posted by DJA View Post
                        The movie starring Alan Rickman should not be too far away.
                        Sadly, the splendid Alan Rickman is no longer with us. He had a minor stroke in August last year and died this January from pancreatic cancer.

I don't know where that leaves the movie.

Love,

Caz
                        X
                        "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

Originally posted by caz View Post
                          Sadly, the splendid Alan Rickman is no longer with us. He had a minor stroke in August last year and died this January from pancreatic cancer.

I don't know where that leaves the movie.

Love,

Caz
                          X
                          Yep. Could be part of the problem.

He voiced the Caterpillar for Alice Through the Looking Glass.

Strange industry.

Offered a writer $1 Million Oz to write the Jack the Ripper book yesterday morning.

Comment

A quick Wiki search states:

It was announced on 17 April 2015 that Alan Rickman, Olivia Cooke, and Douglas Booth had been cast in leading roles for the film, to be directed by Juan Carlos Medina with a screenplay by Jane Goldman. Rickman later left the project for unknown reasons.

Probably ill health.

Comment

Originally posted by Hannibal Hayes View Post

Probably ill health.
                              Prolly 'cause he's dead.

Doesn't stop the movie, unless he was a co producer.

Haven't had the pleasure before......welcome

from Monty Python's Flying CircusSeason 1 - Episode 08 Full Frontal NudityRecorded 25-11-69, Aired 07-12-69The world famous Dead Parrot sketch, here, in it'...

Comment

Working...
                              X