origin of name

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• origin of name

Hello All. Although I am not interested in furthering research on Anderson's Polish Jew suspect, nor am I interested in the possible affinity of Cohen to Kaminsky and hence to Kosminski, I am interested in the origin of the name, David Cohen.

If the young man found wandering the streets in early December and incoherent were in fact given the name David Cohen, I wonder why that was? If he spoke only Yiddish and were not communicative, surely he did not supply it?

Professor Fido speculates that it was a mishearing of the name Nathan Kaminsky. In light of the following snippet from Lloyd's, December 1888, I would like to suggest that the young man apprehended had been perhaps a former employee of the shoe manufacturer, David Cohen, perhaps in the capacity of greener. Then, if his employer's name were found on him, it might provide the origin of the David Cohen name.

Cheers.
    LC
    Attached Files

Interesting find, Lynn. I don't buy the mishearing theory but the idea of "David Cohen" being a sort of John Doe name for a Jew is more appealing. Cohen is, of course, a common name among Jews in Britain and I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before but David was the first king of the Jews. What better name for a sarcastic gentile to give a raving, incoherent Jew?

On the other hand, surely our man's identification as "Aaron Davis Cohen" blows all of these theories out of the water. It looks like he really was called Cohen, either David or Aaron Davis.

Best wishes,
    Steve.
    Last edited by Steven Russell; 02-17-2011, 06:21 PM.

Comment

Saul?

Hello Steven. Thanks.

Wasn't David the second king of the Jews? I believe Saul was the first king of United Israel.

Cheers.
      LC

Comment

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
        Hello Steven. Thanks.

Wasn't David the second king of the Jews? I believe Saul was the first king of United Israel.

Cheers.
        LC
        You're right, Lynn. I stand corrected.

Cheers,
        Steve.

Comment

Working...
        X