Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by George Hutchinson View Post
    Hi Jon

I'd be interested to know if it did start raining again before the arrival of Warren, or if inspection of it could have caused it to blur?

PHILIP

Hello Philip

Apparently, it rained quite hard from after 9.00 pm till after midnight.
    Sunday was a fine Autumn day.

Where have you seen the "blurred" references ?

Comment

I honestly can't say. It's a decade and a few dozen books in the past!

PHILIP
      Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

Writing on the wall.

The problem with trying to read too much into the meaning or otherwise of the writing is that there are so many contradictions. Halse says it looked fresh, everyone else said it didn't.

One person says it read so and so, others say it read such and such.

I think it was most unlikely to have been written by the killer.

Comment

He could not form an opinion as to whether the writing was recent.

Eddowes inquest, Police Constable Alfred Long.

By Mr. Crawford. - He had not noticed the wall before. He noticed the piece of apron first, and then the words on the wall. One corner of the apron was wet with blood. His light was on at the time. His attention was attracted to the writing on the wall while he was searching. He could not form an opinion as to whether the writing was recent. He went on to the staircase of the dwelling, but made no inquiries in the house itself.

The Times, Friday 12 October 1888.

~~~

Comment

It's a tough call if the Ripper did it or not. It seems like though ,the way I understand it to have been - around a couple of feet from the dado, the placement of the apron was not deliberate enough that the ripper wanted it to be connected to the Graffito if he did it.It seems like it was just thrown.
            Clearly the first human laws (way older and already established) spawned organized religion's morality - from which it's writers only copied/stole,ex. you cannot kill,rob,steal (forced,it started civil society).
            M. Pacana

Comment

Did any contemporary witness specifically mention that the apron piece was found some distance from the wall ? According to The Times P.C. Long merely stated that the writing was "above it" ?
              Last edited by Pilgrim; 03-08-2008, 01:46 PM. Reason: Semantics.

Comment

Hi Pilgrim

PC Long was the only person to see the apron and writing in situ.Although, he may have pointed out the spot where he first saw the apron to the other officers on his return to Goulston St later that morning.

On a different note ,and going against what I seem to be arguing
                I was just thinking about the visiblity in the stairwell that morning. I am assuming Long used a lamp whilst he searched around the stairs.

Now, would the author of the writing have been able to write as Halse described below in the dark ?

There were three lines of writing in a good schoolboy's round hand. The size of the capital letters would be about 3/4 in, and the other letters were in proportion.

Perhaps ,the writng was done earlier that day when there was some daylight ?

Comment

Hey Jon,

You are treading over old ground re the light situation in the stairwell. I suggest you read Gavin Bromleys extensive article in Ripperologist, cannot remember which one, if you can. Its a pretty thorough account.
                  My own view was that it was extremely dark. As you mention, Long had his light on and only found the writing whilst looking, one assumes for blood on the wall.

Monty
                  Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Working...
                  X