Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lost police records & documents...............

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi David,

I have three of a kind.

Click image for larger version

Name:	52983 [1].JPG
Views:	1
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	667137

Name:	52983 [2].JPG
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	667138

Name:	52983 [3].JPG
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	667139

I shall leave you to sort this out for yourself. This is my last post on Casebook or anywhere else. Illness and encroaching old age are taking their toll, and I have many other things I want to do in the years before the Grim Reaper comes a-knocking.

So, good luck to you all, and stop believing all the nonsense you've been told.

Regards,

Simon
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
      I shall leave you to sort this out for yourself.
      Well it's very easy and straightforward. 52893 was a standard Metropolitan Police file/correspondence reference (created in early September 1888) for the series of Whitechapel Murders, as shown in the police report in the third image above, and the top two images are cross-references to that file in the margin of a Special Branch register. All very dull really.

Comment

Hi David,

I have three of a kind.

[ATTACH]18277[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]18278[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]18279[/ATTACH]

I shall leave you to sort this out for yourself. This is my last post on Casebook or anywhere else. Illness and encroaching old age are taking their toll, and I have many other things I want to do in the years before the Grim Reaper comes a-knocking.

So, good luck to you all, and stop believing all the nonsense you've been told.

Regards,

Simon
        Similar situation re age and health.

Could you hold off a bit longer until I divest myself of all popcorn shares and holdings!

Best of luck and thanks for the fun
        My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

Best wishes to you, Simon.

Comment

I shall leave you to sort this out for yourself. This is my last post on Casebook or anywhere else.
            Thanks for your stimulating posts over the years, Simon. All the best.
            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Best wishes for the future Simon
              Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

So long, and thanks for all the fishy findings.

Comment

What do you call old Simon.

Comment

Originally posted by David Orsam View Post
                    Well it's very easy and straightforward. 52893 was a standard Metropolitan Police file/correspondence reference (created in early September 1888) for the series of Whitechapel Murders, as shown in the police report in the third image above, and the top two images are cross-references to that file in the margin of a Special Branch register. All very dull really.
                    Tediously so.

Gotta love the attempt to throw confusion at the mundane.

Monty
                    Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Hi Dark Passenger,

The 1891 Census [5th April] provides a glimpse of the staff and types of patients then at the Seaside Home.

It was certainly not an environment into which you might risk sending Jack the Ripper, whether he was Kosher or Goy.

Regards,

Simon
                      Thanks for the tip - do you happen to have those details to hand?

Comment

Originally posted by The Station Cat View Post
                        It's readily excepted that the police records relating to the Whitechapel murders has over the years been pillaged by person or persons unknown and for what reason can only be guessed at.

I'm curious to know whether any of the missing documents have ever reemerged?

Also of interest would be, what happened to all the letters sent by "Jack" were they retained or disposed of?
                        I had heard from a confidential source that at least one unpublished letter has been seen framed in someones den.
                        Michael Richards

Comment

Originally posted by Pierre View Post

Have other historical murder files been subject to the same types of loss?

Pierre
                          Police work generates gargantuan quantities of paper and storage is, and always has been, a problem. Weeding documents from historical files is not without precedent, especially when you reach the stage where those involved are almost certainly dead. In the 1970s and 1980s much of what remained went onto microfiche in my own Force and I imagine that was pretty standard procedure across the country. Evidence sometimes gets stored in unusual places too. I was once tasked with clearing out the attic at a town centre police station and found a .410 shotgun from a murder which had occurred 25 years earlier.
                          I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

Originally posted by The Station Cat View Post
                            It's readily excepted that the police records relating to the Whitechapel murders has over the years been pillaged by person or persons unknown and for what reason can only be guessed at.

I'm curious to know whether any of the missing documents have ever reemerged?

Also of interest would be, what happened to all the letters sent by "Jack" were they retained or disposed of?
                            Don Rumberlow talks very interestingly about the files/ loss/ theft/ photos etc in the great book Scotland Yard Investigates!!

Comment

Originally posted by Christian View Post

Don Rumberlow talks very interestingly about the files/ loss/ theft/ photos etc in the great book Scotland Yard Investigates!!
                              Thanks, Christian. I think I have that somewhere so I'll dig it out and refresh my memory.
                              I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

Originally posted by Bridewell View Post

Thanks, Christian. I think I have that somewhere so I'll dig it out and refresh my memory.
                                No problem some real interesting information and tales regarding old files-documents-photos!!

Comment

Working...
                                X