George Yard Building street address?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• George Yard Building street address?

All the newspaper articles that mention George Yard Buildings mention the address of the building in terms of the room numbers the lodgers occupy, such as "37 George Yard Buildings". However I can't seem to figure out what is the BUILDING address of George Yard Buildings? I assume the street address is "some number, George Yard".

I'm trying to figure out were George Yard Buildings is in relation to the "33 George Yard, Whitechapel" mentioned in this Old Bailey case.

http://www.oldbaileyonline.org/brows...Yard#highlight
    Jeff

Don't think Pinkerton is still a member but in case anyone else is interested ... I just looked up George Yard in the 1881 census in Findmypast.co.uk and ancestry and they list only

New Buildings, numbers 1 to 48.
    New Court, numbers 1 to 16.

There are no other inhabited buildings.
    (It's in Whitechapel North District 15 in 1881.)

So when Catherine Hurly said she lived at 33 George Yard, she must have lived in New Buildings, as the other only goes up to 16. If she said she lived at No10 we'd not know which block she was in!

Looking at the 1891 census, we find the following:

Three unnumbered single dwellings
    A lodging house, address 33 George Yard.
    20 George Yard
    St George's House, numbers 1 to 40.
    Baliol House Chamber
    Lade Rest
    St George's Residence for Girls
    Whitechapel St Mary > Whitechapel Church > District 14 >

These entries don't tally up with the phrases we see in the reports and on maps, i.e. "George Yard Dwellings" or "George Yard Buildings".

Helena
    Last edited by HelenaWojtczak; 08-09-2012, 03:51 PM.
    Helena Wojtczak BSc (Hons) FRHistS.

Author of 'Jack the Ripper at Last? George Chapman, the Southwark Poisoner'. Click this link : - http://www.hastingspress.co.uk/chapman.html

Comment

Originally posted by HelenaWojtczak View Post
      Don't think Pinkerton is still a member but in case anyone else is interested ... I just looked up George Yard in the 1881 census in Findmypast.co.uk and ancestry and they list only

New Buildings, numbers 1 to 48.
      New Court, numbers 1 to 16.

There are no other inhabited buildings.
      (It's in Whitechapel North District 15 in 1881.)

So when Catherine Hurly said she lived at 33 George Yard, she must have lived in New Buildings, as the other only goes up to 16. If she said she lived at No10 we'd not know which block she was in!
      I've just looked at the 1881 census for George Yard (on Ancestry) and there is listed a 4, 5, 6/7, 8, 9 & 10 (uninhabited), 11, 12, 14, 21, 22, 23, 24, 31/33, New Buildings (Which is basically George Yard Buildings) and New Court. There is also Garden Court. the total population was colossal, by the look of it!

Many of these numbered dwellings would've been lodging houses, however there was a considerable amount of rebuilding done around this time and I think it is safe to say that by the time of the 1891 census, there weren't that many indivual numbered dwellings left. The ones that remained seemed to have kept their original numbers.

Looking at the 1891 census, we find the following:

Three unnumbered single dwellings
      A lodging house, address 33 George Yard.
      20 George Yard
      St George's House, numbers 1 to 40.
      Baliol House Chamber
      Lade Rest
      St George's Residence for Girls
      Whitechapel St Mary > Whitechapel Church > District 14 >

These entries don't tally up with the phrases we see in the reports and on maps, i.e. "George Yard Dwellings" or "George Yard Buildings".

Helena
      George Yard Buildings is in that census, but in 1890 it had been renamed Balliol House.

JB

Comment

Originally posted by John Bennett View Post

I've just looked at the 1881 census for George Yard (on Ancestry) and there is listed a 4, 5, 6/7, 8, 9 & 10 (uninhabited), 11, 12, 14, 21, 22, 23, 24, 31/33, New Buildings

George Yard Buildings is in that census, but in 1890 it had been renamed Balliol House.

JB
        I looked it up on Ancestry and got 1 to 48, not to 33.

"George Yard Buildings".... is that the building in which Tabram was murdered?

Sometimes it is given as George Yard Dwellings.

Helena

Author of 'Jack the Ripper at Last? George Chapman, the Southwark Poisoner'. Click this link : - http://www.hastingspress.co.uk/chapman.html

Comment

I looked it up on Ancestry and got 1 to 48, not to 33.

"George Yard Buildings".... is that the building in which Tabram was murdered?

Sometimes it is given as George Yard Dwellings.

Helena
          Hi

The "4, 5, 6/7, 8, 9 & 10 (uninhabited), 11, 12, 14, 21, 22, 23, 24, 31/33" to which I refer are not the numbers of flats in 'New Buildings' aka George Yard Buildings (which indeed had 48 rooms), but dwelling numbers in George Yard itself.

George Yard Buildings is where Tabram was murdered, yes, though some press reports and later accounts call it 'dwellings'.

JB

Comment

How about St. George's Building?
            Attached Files

Comment

It's all getting very confusing!

Comment

I think more to the point. who was living in george Yard buildings?

Comment

Originally posted by bobh View Post
                  I think more to the point. who was living in george Yard buildings?
                  A load of strangers of no consequence?

Comment

Working...
                  X