To remind you

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To remind you

Today is the 125th anniversary of the death of HRH Albert Victor, Duke of Clarence and Avondale, oldest son and heir to Prince Albert Edward, the Prince of Wales. His death on January 14th 1892 removed him from the royal line of descent, as he never married (despite two attempts) and his brother George, Duke Of York, was to be the heir apparent when the Prince of Wales became King Edward VII in January 1901 (and became King George V in 1910. The current descendants and heirs of the old House of Saxe Coburg Gotha/House of Windsor are George V's descendants from his wife Queen Mary (May of Teck). May was supposed to marry the Duke of Clarence, but his death rendered that moot.

In January 1892 England was going through a terrible influenza epidemic, and officially Albert Victor died of that illness. That same day the highly respected, social activist Catholic clergyman, Cardinal Manning, also died of influenza. But there has been a suggestion that the Duke of Clarence actually died of syphallis, due to his dissipations. The evidence of syphallis as the cause of the death is highly speculative.

Jeff

Sir William Gull's protege died from the same epidemic seven months earlier.
    Last edited by DJA; 01-14-2017, 01:39 AM. Reason: Seven not six.
    My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

I prefer Ernest Ausust, angry because he missed out on the throne.
      G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Seems to be in august company
        My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

Originally posted by DJA View Post
          Seems to be in august company
          Phat phingers due to heat.
          G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
            I prefer Ernest Ausust, angry because he missed out on the throne.
            True GUT, but the Duke of Cumberland got the booby prize - he is the third son of King George III who became a monarch - only as King of Hanover. Ruled as a gifted reactionary until his death in 1851. His son was King George V (the "blind king" of Hanover) who reigned until 1867, when Bismarck annexed Hanover to Prussia (Hanover supported Austria in the Seven Weeks War). Anyway there are still descendants (legitimate ones) from Ernest today - unlike his other brothers (except Edward, Duke of Kent (Victoria and her descendants)), and (briefly) George, Duke of Cambridge (whose son was General-in-Chief until his death in 1904; then the line became extinct).

Jeff

Comment

Working...
            X