Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Trolls" and the Internet (Time article)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Trolls" and the Internet (Time article)

The name internet trolls came from a fishing method online thieves use to find victims. Find out how trolling is becoming a political fight.

So-- have the rude and cowardly folk called "trolls" destroyed the Internet for the rest of us? All answers welcomed.
    Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
    ---------------
    Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
    ---------------

Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
    http://time.com/4457110/internet-trolls/

So-- have the rude and cowardly folk called "trolls" destroyed the Internet for the rest of us? All answers welcomed.
    Seem to be a few on Casebook anyway.
    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

No, this is just the SJWs, feminists and cultural Marxists trying to turn the internet into a liberal echo chamber.

Comment

Conservatives do it too!

Originally posted by Harry D View Post
        No, this is just the SJWs, feminists and cultural Marxists trying to turn the internet into a liberal echo chamber.
        Dunno, it seems to me as if the right-wingers troll, too.

"SJW"? Single Jewish Whites? Or...?
        ---------------
        Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
        ---------------

Comment

SJW could mean "Single Jesuit Whites" too. I wonder if those letters in that arrangement or a similar one is on those pawn tickets that the other thread is discussing so, so thoroughly!

Yes we certainly do have at least one major Troll on this website. Like the man who wasn't there again today, we wish we wish he'd go away!

Jeff

Comment

SJW = Social Justice Warrior, and we'd had a few of them on these boards over the years. They are usually people who utterly refuse to see any other argument in a debate other than their own.

Years ago anyone who even smelled of being a troll was usually quickly removed, but nowadays it seems not. We all know who Mayerling is referring to, and I really am surprised he's still around.

Graham
            We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

I haven't noticed this person being abusive, though. Fortunately we don't get much of that on here.

Comment

As Graham said, SJW = Social Justice Warrior.

The type of person who goes around getting offended on everyone's behalf and then blogs about it.

Right wing, left wing. Two sides of the same coin. I was given to believe that left-wing politics represent individual liberty and freedom of expression, but now the "left" are the ones who vehemently try to censor any unpopular opinion that doesn't suit their agenda. Don't fall for this pretense about "trolls" destroying the internet when it's nothing but politicking.
                Last edited by Harry D; 08-19-2016, 03:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                  I haven't noticed this person being abusive, though. Fortunately we don't get much of that on here.
                  He has thrown his dolly out of the pram a few times, though. Speaking of being abusive, you should have been on the A6 Thread a few years ago. It got so bad that Admin permanently banned a few posters and famously closed the A6 forum for a while. I think lessons were learned.

Graham
                  We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post
                    He has thrown his dolly out of the pram a few times, though. Speaking of being abusive, you should have been on the A6 Thread a few years ago. It got so bad that Admin permanently banned a few posters and famously closed the A6 forum for a while. I think lessons were learned.

Graham
                    Yep got real nasty for a time.
                    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Forgot to add that the term "troll" itself has been co-opted by the media. A troll is someone who deliberately posts incendiary opinions for the sake of drawing people into an argument. It's not someone who posts death threats on Twitter.

Comment

As someone who has always been a liberal....I am so ashamed of what that term now stands for.......these modern "liberals" are destroying liberalism.....as you say, the are SJW's trying to speak for others, offended by EVERYTHING, usually stuff that has nothing to do with them, to them everything in the world is either , racist, anti feminist, trans fobic, anti LGBTQ, hate speech, pro "rape culture", pro Gender inequality etc.....a comedian can't do a routine without being attacked by these morons, they have no concept of humor or satire..they just seem to want to be offended so they can get online and say they are smart and kind and understand all the worlds problems....and if we all thought just like they did we would be a perfect (Stepford) world....Halloween is evil, voting for someone who they don't like is "hate speech and harassment"...basically they want to enforce their ideology (as purely divisive as it is) and remove freedom of not only speech but of thought.....and as I said....I AM A LIFE LONG LIBERAL (in the true meaning)....oh I forgot to mention my favorite pet theme of theirs "white privilege"....these people are so filled with self hate they want to put the blame in everyone else.....I think the problem is the internet gave everyone a sounding board....and most of these folks are young (teens to mid 20's) and being young they just try to fit in.....i think most will grow out of it and realize what dumb kids they were (as well all did when we grew up....admit it folks) but you can't tell them that, as they refuse to listen....and the internet gave them an army of people to agree with them......wow see now I am on a soapbox on the internet hahaha

Steadmund Brand
                        "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

I think it's all summed up by the phrase 'virtue signalling.'

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                            I think it's all summed up by the phrase 'virtue signalling.'
                            Prior to the ruination of the English language, this used to be known as simply Boring The Arse Off People.

Graham

Comment

I think Steady has properly characterized the people who tell depressed folks to kill themselves, go after women journalists with threats of rape, insult fat people, and bully teens. I don't think any of that falls into "social justice" or "free speech"-- as Steady said, they want to do what everyone else is doing.

I was interested to see how polite the discussions here on Casebook were, even the heated ones rarely used the cruder language found on most forums and boards in the United States.

I think the media have borrowed the term "troll" and changed its meaning. I don't do Facebook. I have a Twitter account for work, but rarely use it. I was considering getting a personal Twitter account, but I'm not so sure now. Then again, you get crap in any form of communication, so why worry? This is just another evolution in human interaction.
                              ---------------
                              ---------------

Comment

Working...
                              X