Heel-Broth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heel-Broth

I was wondering if anyone can tell me what heel-broth is? I was reading a book about Dr. Cream, when when I came across this passage, "To her he offered what he called an "American drink" - a term which, in the British Isles, has always been practically synonymous with heel-broth". The author goes on to state that " This is not unreasonable when one remembers the perversions of the cocktail which used to be offered at "American" bars in London and Paris". A quick search of the INTERNET for heel-broth took me to sight for soups. So now I am confused is heel-broth a soup or a cocktail? Any help the matter would be greatly appreciated
    Last edited by Doug Irvine; 05-07-2010, 10:12 PM.

Hello Doug,

I have never heard of Heel-broth as a cocktail either.
    Maybe it is a misprint for Hell-broth, an Ameican cocktail?

I haven't the foggiest..but worth a punt?

best wishes

Phil
    Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
    Accountability? ....

Comment

From Brewer in 1898

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
      allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

Whoops, sorry wrong link

allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

Remember, back then a strong beef bouillon made from boiling whatever meat/cow parts one could get a hold of was called "beef tea", and served in cups to pregnant and anemic women to give them more iron...

I think this is a similar reference; the broth would have been served in a cup, rather than a bowl...

Article from the New York Times in 1880 on the benefits/uses of "Beef Tea"...

Live news, investigations, opinion, photos and video by the journalists of The New York Times from more than 150 countries around the world. Subscribe for coverage of U.S. and international news, politics, business, technology, science, health, arts, sports and more.
          Last edited by cappuccina; 05-08-2010, 01:03 AM.
          Cheers,
          cappuccina

"Don't make me get my flying monkeys!"

Comment

Hi Doug.

Cappucina is correct. "Heel-Broth" is an old term for "Cow Heel Broth", created by boiling... you guessed it...Cow heels, hocks, that kind of thing.

It was often recommended for children and invalids. I saw a recipe book from the 1920's or 30's that still used the term; at first I wondered if they were talking about boiling shoe-leather!

I think I'd rather drink Hell-Broth.

Best regards,
            Archaic
            Last edited by Archaic; 05-08-2010, 02:01 AM.

Comment

1882 Recipe: Cow-Heel Broth

Hello again Doug.

Here's a recipe for Cow-Heel Broth from an 1882 cookbook. It was under a chapter titled "Cheap Cookery".
              It reminds you to take the hair off the foot first.

Bottoms up!

Archaic
              Attached Files

Comment

Yummmmmmmm!! (Bleccchhh!! )

Thank you, Archaic!
                Cheers,
                cappuccina

Comment

At least it wasn't head-cheese. Too disgusting to contemplate.
                  "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

I think the modern equivalent might be beef consomme, which has a sort of gelatinous consistency to it.

Comment

Yes, that and/or a strong beef stock....
                      Cheers,
                      cappuccina

Comment

I thank you all for your responses. It does seem strange to me that he could induce his victims to drink, what must have been, cold soup. Wouldn't it be easier to get his victims to drink some sort of alcohol? Though I suppose the fact that it was non-alcoholic might allay any suspicions that he might be trying to take advantage of them. He could also have used the ploy that he was a doctor and it was for medicinal purposes.

Comment

Remember though for women in the East End who were near starvation and severely lacking in protein and were more than likely very anaemic as well, this would have almost been a treat....seriously....

This was one of the "extra rations" they gave the elderly, pregnant women and severely ill people in the work/poorhouses...
                          Cheers,
                          cappuccina

Comment

Working...
                          X