Judges rob Pacquiao

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Judges rob Pacquiao

Before I even begin, allow me to congratulate Horn on a gutty performance...he showed grit , heart and determination, however.. there is NO WAY he won the fight on Sat night (afternoon) in Brisbane... My scorecard read 116-111 for Pacquiao... and I was being generous to Horn in close rounds... but two judges having it 115-113 for Horn was bad enough.... one had it 117-111 for Horn....this lopsided score card given to the man who the ref had to go to his corner at one point and tell them, he wont allow him to take such a beating, and if he doesn't show something in the next round he will stop it....

This is the problem with my beloved sport... plus, it was on free TV...so everyone could see it...made fans sick, but turned casual fans or possible future fans right off....I don't care about a rematch, I don't care to hear excuses..I just wish there could be a international commission to really investigate these things....the sport needs it or it will sink even lower than it has with the main stream of sports.....

Steadmund Brand
    "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Hi Steadmund

I only managed to catch around 7 rounds, and I'll admit to not following boxing anywhere near as much as I did in my younger days, but this was an appalling decision. Boxing will never escape the old stigma of fixed fights when decisions like this are allowed to stand. Pacquiao could have knocked him out and probably got saddled with a draw.

Regards
    Herlock
    Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Not on free TV here believe it or not.

And not robbed just met an Aussie.
      G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

If it was fixed, by whom. And how many people had to be in on it. From what I saw and heard Jeff was well in front the first seven or eight rounds, with Manny only coming strong the last half.

I had to follow it online and certainly the commentators there had Horn in front 1-7. Then I think somewhere there was one they called a draw and Manny everything else.

I thought Jeff would need a KO to get the win.
        G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Point taken GUT. I shouldn't really comment on a fight when I only saw the last 6 or 7 rounds which I think Pacquiao won convincingly, not to detract from Horn's performance at all.

I don't know if fight fixing still goes on? Poor decisions (whether this was one or not) tend to feed suspicions.

One point I'd like to make about differing judgements of fight results. I used to drink in a pub and I used to regularly talk to two old guys who were both long-time boxing fans ( both did a bit of amateur boxing in their time). They agreed on pretty much everything boxing-wise except for the Henry Cooper/ Joe Bugner fight. One was adamant that Cooper won, the other was adamant that Bugner won.

Regards
          Herlock
          Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

I should add I'm a rank amateur when it comes to all things boxing, but place a lot of weight on Steady' opinion.
            G U T

Comment

Do I think it was "fixed" not exactly......what I do believe is Bob Arum (the promoter) let the judges know if there is a way to have Horn win....do it.....why? Well....60 thousand more tickets will be sold in Brisbane for the rematch...plus it will be pay per view in America next time...instead of "free TV"...because now there is a "revenge for a robbery" selling point.......sadly I believe that was involved....makes the sport I love look even worse....but it's not only possible...but probable....you see...Arum was having a hard time selling Pacquaio as of late...

Again...Horn showed a ton of heart...and was gritty and game...but he lost....and badly...but I don't blame him...or Manny....this was on the promoter and judges....ii take my hat off to Horn....the balls he showed in the beating he took...wow....but don't forget..after the 9th round the ref wanted to stop the fight because Horn was getting beat up so bad...

I wish boxing was cleaner...but it never was....I know from first hand experience

Steadmund Brand
              "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

I've never liked fights being decided on points.

I'm not sure what the alternative is.

But decisions on points are so subjective. I understand that their are guidelines on how to score, but still too much room for dispute, doubt, or even fudging the numbers.

I remember a few Aussie boxers looking like they were duded over the years.

But as I say what's the alternative, 50+ rounds of slugging it out???
                G U T

Comment

Truth is there isn't a better alternative....but decisions like these should be investigated....the 2 115-113 cards were bad...but there COULD be an argument for it.....but the 117-111 is just insane....there is no way that was even close to legit....even Horn and his camp have said so (not publicily anyway...but to a boxing writer I happen to know)...problem is with no one commission governing the sport its easy to corrupt...
                  But it was a fun fight to watch at least....and it was a big boom for the future of the sport down under..those are a plus

Steadmund Brand

Comment

Originally posted by Steadmund Brand View Post
                    Truth is there isn't a better alternative....but decisions like these should be investigated....the 2 115-113 cards were bad...but there COULD be an argument for it.....but the 117-111 is just insane....there is no way that was even close to legit....even Horn and his camp have said so (not publicily anyway...but to a boxing writer I happen to know)...problem is with no one commission governing the sport its easy to corrupt...
                    But it was a fun fight to watch at least....and it was a big boom for the future of the sport down under..those are a plus

Steadmund Brand
                    I think this fights repercussions will not be entirely positive to Aussie boxing. There is always the possibility of a home decision in boxing. It's a risk most fighters take. However, im pretty it will be quite some time before another foreign fighter comes to Australia to defend a title.

Comment

Very true... but it puts an Aussie fighter on the Map... and he can now make some big money either by staying at home or in Vegas or wherever he wants to fight next.....plus, he is an exciting fighter to watch, so no matter the feelings about the decision, he is someone I feel most boxing fans would love to see more of.. I know I do

Steadmund Brand

Comment

By the way

Comment

Originally posted by Steadmund Brand View Post
                          Before I even begin, allow me to congratulate Horn on a gutty performance...he showed grit , heart and determination, however.. there is NO WAY he won the fight on Sat night (afternoon) in Brisbane...
                          Steadmund Brand
                          hi steadmund. i missed this bout, guessing it was treated like a "prelim" in hopes of leading into a mayweather rematch, tough loss for Pacquiao considering Prime Pacman would have KOed Horn. What happened to his power?
                          Now... just waiting to see if Canelo's chin can withstand Golovkin, and if he can land a legitimate hook.
                          there,s nothing new, only the unexplored

Comment

Originally posted by Robert St Devil View Post
                            hi steadmund. i missed this bout, guessing it was treated like a "prelim" in hopes of leading into a mayweather rematch, tough loss for Pacquiao considering Prime Pacman would have KOed Horn. What happened to his power?
                            Now... just waiting to see if Canelo's chin can withstand Golovkin, and if he can land a legitimate hook.
                            Hello there Robert.. this may sound terrible... but once Pacquiao found God he lost his edge.. hasn't had a good performance since.. and he doesn't have the killer instinct any longer.. sad but true...

As for Canelo....he has to try and outbox GGG for 12 rounds.. not try for the KO himself if he has a chance.... GGG will want him to go toe to toe, which Canelo loves to do... and it will be a BIG MISTAKE...GGG is a beast and you have to tame a beast not try tio "out-beast" him

Steadmund Brand

Comment

I'm certain that Marquez' cross helped Pac in finding God. It took awhile for me to like the guy only bc he beat up on my guy Erik Morales, but he was great from feather to welter. That Hatton KO! Manny's NOT not Top 10; but, without KO punch, i doubt he's Top 5 anymore either.

from san antonio, so my bias is Canelo, but I feel the bout will look like Calzaghe and Jones. GGG has the iq and the skillset and the defense. Alvarez fights too much like DelaHoya, which only worked for oscar when he was fighting mexican fighters.
                              there,s nothing new, only the unexplored

Comment

Working...
                              X