Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Main
   

Introduction
Victims
Suspects
Witnesses
Ripper Letters
Police Officials
Official Documents
Press Reports
Victorian London
Message Boards
Ripper Media
Authors
Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - by Wickerman 7 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - by Wickerman 11 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - by MysterySinger 11 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - by Wickerman 11 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - by Wickerman 11 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - by Wickerman 11 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - (18 posts)
Doctors and Coroners: Baxter's influence on Ripper lore - (6 posts)
Kosminski, Aaron: My theory on Kosminski - (5 posts)
Scene of the Crimes: Tabbard Street East? - (1 posts)
Non-Fiction: Elizabeth Stride and Jack the Ripper: The Life and Death of the Reputed Third Victim. - (1 posts)
Shades of Whitechapel: Caught!? Long Island Serial Killer suspect - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Edit: Chris
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Edit: Chris
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Edit: Chris
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Victims > Catherine Eddowes

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-06-2016, 11:15 AM
dantheman dantheman is offline
Constable
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 58
Default What if Goulston St Graffito was photographed?

Assuming the ripper wrote the Goulston St message and Charles Warren had it photographed before washing it out, it's my opinion we may have been able to determine the following:

1) Possible height of murderer.

2) Compare handwriting samples with numerous letters and other documents with known suspects.

3) Maybe get a better idea of the rippers possible trade. (How common was it for the average person in East End to have chalk? Also, would a specific trade enable a person access to chalk such as a butcher, medical student, Doctor, upholsterer, etc.

4) Potential education level of murderer based on grammar of the graffito.

5) Possibly more accurate radius of killers residence or place of business based on the rippers exit route.

Interested to hear other thoughts on this topic.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-06-2016, 11:32 AM
Michael W Richards Michael W Richards is offline
Assistant Commissioner
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,144
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantheman View Post
Assuming the ripper wrote the Goulston St message and Charles Warren had it photographed before washing it out, it's my opinion we may have been able to determine the following:

1) Possible height of murderer.

2) Compare handwriting samples with numerous letters and other documents with known suspects.

3) Maybe get a better idea of the rippers possible trade. (How common was it for the average person in East End to have chalk? Also, would a specific trade enable a person access to chalk such as a butcher, medical student, Doctor, upholsterer, etc.

4) Potential education level of murderer based on grammar of the graffito.

5) Possibly more accurate radius of killers residence or place of business based on the rippers exit route.

Interested to hear other thoughts on this topic.
Hi Dan,

In response to the above;

1. The height of the writing from the ground wouldn't give us any real data, unless of course one assumes he was writing at eye level while standing.

2. Due to the uneven surface of the wall, and the height of the writing, there wouldn't be a real opportunity to view the handwriting as something that the author was capable of.

3. Chalk was used by shopkeepers, tailors, teachers, and likely a myriad of other occupations.

4. The grammar could have been intentionally misleading.

5. The writing, and apron section, were not found until over 1 hour after the murder and therefore...not necessarily in the direction the killers residence. In fact, he could have lived up to 20 minutes to 1/2 hour North, South or West of Mitre Square.

What they did by erasing the writing is eliminate any possibility of anyone ever disputing the message contents....although they didn't end the debate on spelling apparently.
__________________
Michael Richards
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-06-2016, 11:51 AM
dantheman dantheman is offline
Constable
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 58
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael W Richards View Post
Hi Dan,

In response to the above;

1. The height of the writing from the ground wouldn't give us any real data, unless of course one assumes he was writing at eye level while standing.

2. Due to the uneven surface of the wall, and the height of the writing, there wouldn't be a real opportunity to view the handwriting as something that the author was capable of.

3. Chalk was used by shopkeepers, tailors, teachers, and likely a myriad of other occupations.

4. The grammar could have been intentionally misleading.

5. The writing, and apron section, were not found until over 1 hour after the murder and therefore...not necessarily in the direction the killers residence. In fact, he could have lived up to 20 minutes to 1/2 hour North, South or West of Mitre Square.

What they did by erasing the writing is eliminate any possibility of anyone ever disputing the message contents....although they didn't end the debate on spelling apparently.
Thanks for clarifying that. I missed the part about message being 36-48 in from the ground. However I still think it would've been beneficial to compare the handwriting and other grammar mistakes, even if they were intentional. One things for certain, if we did have that message photographed it would definatley lead to more speculation.

Best Regards,

Dan
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-06-2016, 01:02 PM
Abby Normal Abby Normal is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 5,428
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantheman View Post
Assuming the ripper wrote the Goulston St message and Charles Warren had it photographed before washing it out, it's my opinion we may have been able to determine the following:

1) Possible height of murderer.

2) Compare handwriting samples with numerous letters and other documents with known suspects.

3) Maybe get a better idea of the rippers possible trade. (How common was it for the average person in East End to have chalk? Also, would a specific trade enable a person access to chalk such as a butcher, medical student, Doctor, upholsterer, etc.

4) Potential education level of murderer based on grammar of the graffito.

5) Possibly more accurate radius of killers residence or place of business based on the rippers exit route.

Interested to hear other thoughts on this topic.
number two most relevant
__________________
"Is all that we see or seem
but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe


"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-07-2016, 09:43 AM
John Wheat John Wheat is offline
Chief Inspector
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,562
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantheman View Post
Assuming the ripper wrote the Goulston St message and Charles Warren had it photographed before washing it out, it's my opinion we may have been able to determine the following:

1) Possible height of murderer.

2) Compare handwriting samples with numerous letters and other documents with known suspects.

3) Maybe get a better idea of the rippers possible trade. (How common was it for the average person in East End to have chalk? Also, would a specific trade enable a person access to chalk such as a butcher, medical student, Doctor, upholsterer, etc.

4) Potential education level of murderer based on grammar of the graffito.

5) Possibly more accurate radius of killers residence or place of business based on the rippers exit route.

Interested to hear other thoughts on this topic.
Considering there was a lot of this sort of Graffiti in the area at the time was it even written by the killer?
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-07-2016, 10:10 AM
Abby Normal Abby Normal is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 5,428
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wheat View Post
Considering there was a lot of this sort of Graffiti in the area at the time was it even written by the killer?
Hi John
Dan in the OP

Quote:
Assuming the ripper wrote the Goulston St message
but anyway, the lots of graffiti around argument is probably the weakest argument against it bein written by the killer.
__________________
"Is all that we see or seem
but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe


"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-07-2016, 10:17 AM
Harry D Harry D is offline
Superintendent
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 2,024
Default

Still cannot believe that potential evidence was willfully destroyed by the authorities. "Crass stupidity" was the description given by Sir Robert Anderson, and he wasn't wrong. Charles Warren wasn't covering for the Freemasons, but his sympathies for Zionism make you wonder.
__________________
Hail to the king, baby!
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-07-2016, 10:19 AM
John Wheat John Wheat is offline
Chief Inspector
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,562
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby Normal View Post
Hi John
Dan in the OP



but anyway, the lots of graffiti around argument is probably the weakest argument against it bein written by the killer.
I'm not sure I agree with that. Although I really doubt it was written by the killer and as I've said before even if it was written by the killer all it does is prove that the killer was either Jewish or not Jewish.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-07-2016, 10:53 AM
dantheman dantheman is offline
Constable
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 58
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wheat View Post
Considering there was a lot of this sort of Graffiti in the area at the time was it even written by the killer?
Well that's why I wrote assuming the ripper wrote the message.

Best Regards,

Dan
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-07-2016, 10:55 AM
dantheman dantheman is offline
Constable
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 58
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby Normal View Post
Hi John
Dan in the OP
Hi Abbey,

Whats "OP"?

OP= opening statement?

Last edited by dantheman : 12-07-2016 at 11:01 AM.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.