#10 Downing St.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• #10 Downing St.

Was just perusing the recent thread about Gordon Brown and thought I'd throw out a related question. I have vacationed in London twice, in 2004 and 2008. The first time, with Tony Blair still in residence, I visited Downing Street in the early morning and it was wide open and when I asked the guards at #10 if I could take a picture of the building they said yes without hesitation and almost acted surprised that I had bothered to ask permission. But the second time, as I reached Downing Street in the late afternoon, I found it sealed off by a security gate manned by armed guards who were just then letting out some well-dressed VIP-types but not allowing any civilians in. The story of the day on the BBC at the time (Sept. '08) was of how the people were calling for a vote of no confidence to get rid of Brown and I assumed the security crackdown was to keep him safe. Or could it have been related to the handful of terrorist acts in Britain that occurred between '04 and '08?

I'm a complete stranger to British politics and how things work there, but I'm planning another visit in 2012 and was just wondering- is Downing Street open to the public now? Has it been closed for a long time or is it opened and closed sporadically? I think the picture I took of #10 in '04 was of the back side and I'd really like to get a shot of the front with the famous black door.

When I first started going to London, you could stroll into Downing Street just about whenever you wanted. The only sign of security was a bobby standing outside Number 10. I have several shots of the place somewhere around here, but they're probably on slides, since that's what I used in the '70s and early '80s. I even took a few pictures of Number 11, apparently the residence of the Chancellor of the Exchequer, because I figured almost no tourists would photograph that door.

The last time I went by Downing Street was about five years ago and they had put up a formidable-looking barricade. To me it seemed as though they weren't about to admit anyone under the rank of Sir Humphrey Appleby. The most recent map of London I have shows Downing Street as a controlled access road. I'm not sure if that means that you can't drive along it (which you never could anyway) or if it is a permanent measure to keep out the riff-raff, i.e. us.

Anyway, Number 10 might have a new occupant after Thursday. From what we hear on this side of the pond, it's a very close race. So all you Brits should vote early and often.

Comment

Security precautions were put in place after 9/11, and heightened after 7/7, for obvious and understandable reasons. No matter what David Ike may have to say on the matter, about the reasons being unreasonable or impossible to understand. (But hey, he also has a lot to say about space travelling shape shifting lizards and their pitiful human pawns).
      There Will Be Trouble! http://www.amazon.co.uk/A-Little-Tro...s=T.+E.+Hodden

Comment

Actually the gates were erected in the 1980s, during the premiership of Margaret Thatcher:

Comment

Originally posted by TomTomKent View Post
          Security precautions were put in place after 9/11, and heightened after 7/7, for obvious and understandable reasons. No matter what David Ike may have to say on the matter, about the reasons being unreasonable or impossible to understand. (But hey, he also has a lot to say about space travelling shape shifting lizards and their pitiful human pawns).
          Aaah, David Ike. I've written here before about how I do believe in several paranormal/supernatural things, but when you say that the reason why the Queen Mother's casket was so large is that when the lizard people die they revert to their true enormous form, you lose me.

So should I assume that there probably won't be any pictures taken of #10 during my 2012 visit? Terrorism doesn't seem to be letting up and some Pakistani idiot just tried and failed to blow up a Broadway theater in New York four days ago.

Comment

I think c1990 the IRA fired a mortar into John Major's back garden - there was so much commotion, it woke him up - and since then security has been pretty tight.

Of course, any one of us can theoretically get into number 10 - but it involves a lot of elections and a lot of lying.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
              Of course, any one of us can theoretically get into number 10 - but it involves a lot of elections and a lot of lying.
              Rob,

Not to mention the back scratching, smarminess and all round grovelling.

And that is just if you want to be a butler!

best wishes

Phil
              Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
              Accountability? ....

Comment

By 2012 you probably won't be able to even get into London itself without getting patted down and asked a load of stupid questions, never mind Downing Street.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                  Be careful! It turns out you have to be very careful what you say about politicians during an election campaign, because of the Representation of the People Act.

Comment

:-)

Comment

That Alistair Stewart geezer was literally on ITV news for twelve hours. o_O Does someone put speed in his coffee instead of sugar?!

Comment

Originally posted by Mascara & Paranoia View Post
                        That Alistair Stewart geezer was literally on ITV news for twelve hours. o_O Does someone put speed in his coffee instead of sugar?!
                        He doesn't get a chance to relive the tension, do you really think he is drinking coffee, or the mug just set dressing?
                        There Will Be Trouble! http://www.amazon.co.uk/A-Little-Tro...s=T.+E.+Hodden

Comment

Strange days in British politics.

10 Downing Street currently has a squatter.

I hope I'm wrong but I predict a Lib/Con coalition.

Good to see that the fascists got thrashed, though.
                          allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

Working...
                          X