No announcement yet.

Fleming in 1872

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for this info, Debs and Chris--just catching up on this now.

I feel the same as you about this, Fisherman. The minor offending, the quick escape across a 'brickfield', the loitering, seem to tease one's suspicions in that direction.

One other thing. Something has been nagging at me for a while, and I can't remember if this is a memory or a dream (or a 'From Hell' Abberline moment )...did Fleming ever work for George Lusk, in Lusk's capacity as a builder?
    best,

claire

Comment

Hi all,

Originally posted by Captain Hook View Post
      Hi all,

Thank you Chris et al.

Looks like there are two Joseph Flemings born in 1858 who might suit the bill better than our man.

I agree, but as I posted earlier, on the 1871 census there don't appear to be any Joseph Flemings b c 1858, there's 'our' Joseph and then a couple of younger ones b c 1860/61. the same appears to be true for the 1881 and 1891 census. Only on the 1861 census does one Joseph Fleming b 1858 appear in London. (These are my own personal findings and could be wrong so I'm not stating it as a fact)
      Death, or moving away from London should be taken into account when just going by births.
      A boy who appears in court and his previous is known looks like a born and bred local to me, so an incomer to London in 1872 may be out too.

David,
      The best person to give an accurate answer to your question on Bethnal Green's closeness to Bow would be Rob Clack I think....Rob?

Comment

These are the full names and birth places of the Flemings I mentioned above:

John Joseph Fleming 1858 Jul-Aug-Sep Weardale Durham
        Joseph Fleming 1858 Oct-Nov-Dec Guisborough Yorkshire - North Riding

Joseph Fleming 1859 Jan-Feb-Mar Stourbridge Shropshire, Staffordshire, West Midlands, Worcestershire
        Joseph Fleming 1859 Apr-May-Jun Bethnal Green Greater London, London, Middlesex
        Joseph Fleming 1859 Jul-Aug-Sep Hunslet Yorkshire - West Riding
        Joseph Fleming 1859 Jul-Aug-Sep Penrith Cumbria, Cumberland

Frederick Joseph Fleming 1860 Jan-Feb-Mar Isle of Wight Hampshire, Isle of Wight
        John Joseph Fleming 1860 Jul-Aug-Sep Lambeth Greater London, London, Surrey
        Jonah Joseph Fleming 1860 Jan-Feb-Mar Westminster St Margaret Middlesex
        Joseph Fleming 1860 Apr-May-Jun Wakefield Yorkshire - West Riding, West Yorkshire
        Joseph Fleming 1860 Jul-Aug-Sep Lambeth Greater London, London, Surrey
        Joseph Fleming 1860 Oct-Nov-Dec Manchester (1837-1924) Lancashire
        Joseph Fleming 1860 Oct-Nov-Dec Stockbridge Hampshire, Wiltshire
        Louis Joseph Fleming 1860 Jan-Feb-Mar Halifax Yorkshire - West Riding, West Yorkshire
        William Joseph Fleming 1860 Jan-Feb-Mar Stafford Staffordshire

Comment

Hi Debs
          Regarding Fleming's appearances in the census, the section below (from my forthcoming book!!) detail the records for Fleming and his family
          Hope this helps
          Chris

Now to Fleming himself. His name appears in the available records under the spellings of Flemming and Fleming, but as his birth was registered under the latter form, that is the one I shall adopt. He was born in Bethnal Green in 1859, the son of Richard and Henrietta Fleming. His mother's maiden name was Henrietta Masom and his parents had married in Lambeth in 1842. Joseph was the only surviving boy in a family of four - he had an older sister Jane (born 1857) and two younger sisters, Mary Ann (born 1863) and Jessie (born 1868). Two other sisters appear to have died young - Henrietta (born 1846) and Sarah (born 1849) as well as an older brother William (born 1856) who also disappears from the record. Joseph followed his father's trade, as Richard Fleming is also listed as a plasterer, and it is through his father that we find the connection with Ramsgate, for Richard Fleming was born in the town. Richard was born in 1821 and the earliest mention of the family occurs in the 1841 census:
          St. Lawrence Street, St Lawrence, Kent
          Head: Richard Flemming aged 46 - Baker
          Wife: Mary Flemming aged 45
          Children:
          Richard aged 20 - Baker
          Alfred aged 9
          By 1851 things had changed considerably. Richard's aged father is listed as a pauper in the Minster Workhouse:
          Richard Fleming aged 58
          Pauper
          Former baker born Ramsgate.
          Richard Jnr. had by this time married and moved to London. He and his family are listed in 1851 as follows:
          7 Fellows Street North, Shoreditch
          Head: Richard Fleming aged 29 born Ramsgate - Plasterer
          Wife: Henrietta Fleming aged 29 born Camberwell
          Children:
          Henrietta aged 6 born Shoreditch
          Sarah aged 2 born Shoreditch

In 1861 the family is listed as follows:
          60 Wellington Street, Bethnal Green
          Head: Richard Fleming aged 39 born Ramsgate - Plasterer
          Wife: Henrietta Fleming aged 40 born Camberwell
          Children:
          William aged 5 born Shoreditch
          Jane aged 4 born Shoreditch
          Joseph aged 2 born Bethnal Green

In 1871 the family were at the same address:
          Head: Richard Fleming aged 49 born Ramsgate - Plasterer
          Wife: Henrietta Fleming aged 49 born Camberwell
          Children:
          Jane aged 14 born Hoxton
          Joseph aged 12 born Bethnal Green
          Mary Ann aged 8 born Bethnal Green
          Jessie aged 3 born Bethnal Green

By 1881 Joseph had left the parental nest and we will follow more of his life later. His father, Richard Fleming, died in Shoreditch in 1894 aged 72. His mother, Henrietta, lived on until 1912 when she died in Shoreditch aged 90.

However, back to Ramsgate! Although Joseph's father, Richard, left for London when young, his uncle, Alfred Fleming, stayed in the town. His addresses in consecutive census years are as follows:
          1851: Alfred, listed as a journeyman bricklayer, is a lodger in King Street. He lodges in a public house called the Plough, run by George Star.
          1861: Alfred has married and has a family. He and his wife Sarah live at Castle Cottages, St Lawrence. They have three children - Clara aged 10, Henry aged 5 and Sarah aged 2.
          1871: The family still live at Castle Cottages. Alfred and Sarah have two more children - Alfred aged 7, Ellen aged 3 and a grandchild, Ernest aged 1.
          1881: The family have moved to Finsbury Road. Two more grandchildren are listed - William aged 8 and Maud aged 11 months.
          1891: Still at Finsbury Road, the family have acquired further grandchildren: Edith aged 7, George aged 5, Francis aged 3 and Hettie aged 2.
          1901: Alfred, now widowed, is living with his daughter and son in law at Hardres Street.
          Alfred Fleming died in Ramsgate in 1903 at the age of 70.

So what happened to Joseph Fleming, Mary Kelly's former lover? The story is both mysterious and intriguing. Four years after the Whitechapel murders, in 1892, Joseph Fleming was admitted to the Stone Asylum, the City of London asylum near Dartford, Kent. Some two and a half years later, in February 1895, he was transferred to Claybury Hospital at Woodford Bridge in Essex. He was still at Claybury when he died on 28 August 1920. His age given at death was 65 but he would actually have been 61, being born in 1859. His death was registered under the name of James Evans, so how can we connect this man with Joseph Fleming? His records while he was a patient at Stone Hospital list his mother as Henrietta but the confirmation comes from Fleming's death certificate which gives his original name. The death certificate in full reads as follows:
          "28 August 1920 at Claybury Mental Hospital, Urban District.
          Joseph Fleming, otherwise James Evans.
          Male, 65 years.
          Of City of London Union Infirmary.
          Previous address unknown. Chargeable to Bethnal Green, a dock labourer.
          Cause of death, Pulmonary Tuberculosis, 6 months, 13 days
          P.M. Certified by F. Paine, acting Medical Superintendent, Claybury Mental Hospital, Ilford, 1 September 1920."
          Fleming is listed at Claybury Asylum in the 1901 census as follows:
          Pauper Patient:
          James Evans aged 45
          Single
          Dock labourer
          Born Bethnal Green
          Lunatic

For the 1881 - 1891 period this from the Kelly book might help:
          By the time of the 1881 census, Joseph had left home and was living in lodgings in 61 Crozier Terrace which was in Homerton, north east of Bethnal Green. By this time he is listed as following his father's trade as a plasterer. His landlady was Ellen Copping, a 35 year old laundress. Also living in the household were Ellen's two daughters - Emily aged 13, and Ann aged 2 - and a second lodger, John Percy, a 27 year old ropemaker, also born in Bethnal Green.

Joseph's family is listed in the 1881 census as living at 4 Cyprus Street and is itemised as follows:
          Head:
          Richard Fleming aged 59 born Ramsgate, Kent - Plasterer
          Wife:
          Henrietta Fleming aged 59 born Camberwell, Surrey
          Children:
          Mary Ann aged 19 born Bethnal Green - Brace machinist (Fancy goods textiles)
          Jessie aged 13 born Bethnal Green
          Other:
          Alice W Rickiam aged 65 born Southsea, Hampshire - Nurse
          Emma E Emsworth aged 41 born Lambeth - Lodger

By the time of the 1891 census, Joseph's father, Richard Fleming, is listed as an inmate in the Shoreditch District Infirmary. His details are given as:
          Richard Fleming, Married, aged 70, Plasterer, born Ramsgate, Kent.
          Richard Fleming's death was registered in Shoreditch in the 1st Quarter of 1894. (Volume 1c Page 59)

In the 1891 Census, Joseph's mother and younger sister are listed as living at 123, Lever Street, City Road as follows:
          Head:
          Henrietta Fleming aged 69 born Camberwell - Married
          Daughter;
          Jessie Fleming aged 23 born Bethnal Green - Brace machinist
          Last edited by Chris Scott; 11-25-2008, 06:43 PM.

Comment

The one important piece of information that is missing is where Fleming was at the time of the 1891 census
            I found a close match in terms of age and birthplace but there are objections to this identification:
            1) He is listed as a boot finisher
            2) He is listed as married, even though a spouse is not listed
            3) His surname is spelled Flemming
            This individual was staying at a lodging house at 9 Victoria Park Square, Bethnal Green
            It is possible that by the time of the 1891 census he was already using the name James Evans but I have not found a satisfactory match under that name either
            If anyone has found Joseph Fleming in the 1891 census I would be grateful to hear of it
            Chris

Comment

Thanks for all this Chris.
              I think your full birth index enties post confirms what I have been trying to say all along...that Joseph Fleming b 1859 Bethnal Green is the most likely fit to the 14 year old Joseph Fleming appearing in Worship Street court in 1872.

Comment

Hi Debs
                Glad it was of use:-)

Comment

Hi all,

It turns out that the scene of the attempted burglary, Belhaven Street, has been demonlished, but was formerly located to the West of Grove Road in Bow, just North of the railway. Oddly enough, this was a stone's throw away from the scene of the Ada Wilson attack, where the victim was attacked in her home by a wideawake-wearer of about 30 years old. Thanks to Chris' efforts, we know that Fleming lived in Wellington Street at the time of the attempted burglary. I'm not sure if this was the Wellington Street in Bow or, more likely, "Wellington Row" in Bethnal Green, a short walk to the West of the Belhaven Street location.

Best regards,
                  Ben

Comment

Hi Ben,
                    Do you have any idea when Belhaven Street was demolished? I've street searched every census from 1871 to 1891 and couldn't find it listed.
                    Fleming and his family definitely lived on Wellington Street at Bethnal Green.

Comment

Bellhaven Street still existed in 1885 as it mentioned in an Old Bailey case at

Comment

The Wellington Street where the Flemings lived in 1861 is described as follows:
                        District:
                        Bethnal Green/Green/District 19
                        Municipal Ward: East
                        Ecclesiastical District: St John's

This is definitely named as Wellington Street not Row (see below)
                        Hope this helps
                        Chris
                        Attached Files

Comment

Hi Debs,

Don't know if this will help. This is the 1894 O.S. and some of the surrounding streets.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Belhaven Street 1894.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	202.7 KB
ID:	655332

Rob

Comment

This is the 1881 enumerator's sheet for Bellhaven Street in 1881
                            Attached Files

Comment

Wish I could tell you, Debs. Surprised there was nothing for 1871, considering that the attempted burglary occured a year later. Thanks for the confirmation re Wellington Street. "Street" and Row" referred to the same location according to this article: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/rep...x?compid=22749

Thanks for the link, Chris. Interesting to see it stated that Bellhaven Street was in Bethnal Green as opposed to Bow. On geographical grounds alone, I'd be extremely surprised if this wasn't "our" Joe.

All the best,
                              Ben

Comment

At some point between 1870 and 1894 Wellington Street became Cyprus Street.

Name:	Wellington Street 1870.jpg
Size:	168.6 KB
ID:	655335

Name:	Wellington Cyprus Street 1894.jpg
Size:	179.7 KB
ID:	655336

Rob

Comment