No announcement yet.

Centenaries - whole and half

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 50 years ago - 1964 July 22 - Hans van Zon throttles his date, Elly Hager-Segov, and cuts her throat when she refuses his sexual advances. After this slaying, he went on to kill at least four more and was sent to a Dutch prison for life. In 1986, he was released on parole and died from drink in 1998.

50 years ago - 1964 July 22 - In Poland, Lucian Staniak, aka the Red Spider, rapes and disembowels Danka Maciejowitz, 17. After this murder, he went on to kill at least five more and was sent to an insane asylum for life where he reportedly still lives.
    Last edited by sdreid; 07-19-2014, 05:23 PM.
    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Originally posted by sdreid View Post
      50 years ago - 1964 July 22 - Hans van Zon throttles his date, Elly Hager-Segov, and cuts her throat when she refuses his sexual advances. After this slaying, he went on to kill at least four more and was sent to a Dutch prison for life. In 1986, he was released on parole and died from drink in 1998.

50 years ago - 1964 July 22 - In Poland, Lucian Staniak , aka the Red Spider, rapes and disembowels Danka Maciejowitz, 17. After this murder, he went on to kill at least five more and was sent to an insane asylum for life where he reportedly still lives.
      I see some similarities to Jack in both of them, do you know if Staniak was committed after a trial?
      G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Originally posted by GUT View Post
        I see some similarities to Jack in both of them, do you know if Staniak was committed after a trial?
        I am almost certain that he was GUT because he was originally sentenced to death but that was commuted. It was communist Poland though so I can't say for sure. He was a letter writer too.
        Last edited by sdreid; 07-19-2014, 05:34 PM.

Stan Reid

Comment

• G'day Stan

Originally posted by sdreid View Post
          I am almost certain that he was GUT because he was originally sentenced to death but that was commuted. It was communist Poland though so I can't say for sure.
          Thanks for that, if he was sentenced to death there would have been a trial or sorts, though we might [and I only say might] regard it as a Kangaroo Court.
          G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• He was a letter writer too.
            Missed this first time. Letters to authorities and press like Jacky?
            G U T

Comment

• The press I think.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 100 years ago - 1914 July 23 - William Cleary shoots and kills his son-in-law Eugene Newman, 18. The killer claimed that he did not know about the marriage and that he shot Newman because he had impregnated his daughter. Cleary was found not guilty by a New York jury due to temporary insanity. The verdict was investigated because Cleary was very politically connected but nothing came of it. He did later go to prison on unrelated fraud charges.

50 years ago - 1964 July 23 - In England, Ronald Cooper shoots and kills Joseph Hayes in his home during a robbery. Cooper was found guilty and sentenced to hang but capital punishment for murder was ended in the U.K. before the execution could be carried out. The convict was released in 1980.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 250 years ago - 1764 July 26 - In colonial Pennsylvania, four Delaware Indians enter a schoolhouse then shoot and kill the teacher, Enoch Brown. They then proceeded to murder nine students which they then scalped along with Brown. The same detachment had also beaten a pregnant woman, named Susan Cunningham, to death on the previous day and scalped her as well. Although the individuals were reportedly rebuked for their actions by tribal elders, they apparently escaped any major punishment.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 200 years ago - 1914 July 29 - In New York, James Graham is hanged for the murders of Hugh Cameron and Alexander McGriffrey. The farmer had stabbed the two men to death after an altercation at a community gathering.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 200 years ago - 1914 July 29
                      Oh bugger my drunken slumbers have lasted far longer than I thought

All the best

Rip Van White

Comment

• 100 years ago - 1914 July 31 - Before a crowd of spectators at the DuPage County Jail in Illinois, Henry Spencer is hanged for the murder of Mildred Allison Rexroat. Spencer had battered and shot the twice married and divorced dance instructor while they were on a picnic. His aim had been to romance the much older Mrs. Rexroat for the purpose of emptying her bank account. Spencer was attempting to do just that when he was caught. He retracted an earlier confession on the gallows and began to preach to the crowd as the lever was pulled.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 50 years ago - 1964 August 4 - The bodies of civil rights activists, Andrew Goodman, James Chaney and Michael Schwerner, are found buried in an earthen dam. There were eventually seven Mississippi men convicted of conspiracy in the shootings, including Klan leader Sam Bowers Jr. Local authorities were reluctant to prosecute the culprits on state murder charges.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 50 years ago - 1964 August 6 - Sisters Cynthia and Deborah McAuliffe, 8 and 12 respectively, are found raped and murdered in their Wyoming hotel room. Andrew Pixley is captured by the girl's father as he tries to flee and is sent to the gas chamber the following year.
                            Last edited by sdreid; 08-04-2014, 06:46 AM.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 50 years ago - 1964 August 13 - Peter Anthony Allen and Gwynne Owen Evans are hanged for the murder of John West. The men had stabbed and beaten West to death during a robbery. They were the last individuals to be executed in the U.K.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 400 years ago - 1614 August 14 - Hungarian Countess Elizabeth Bathory is found dead in a room in her castle. The Countess had been walled up in the room, with only a small slot for food, in 1611 after being found responsible for the murders of hundreds of girls and young women for occultist and fanciful reasons. As a noblewoman, she was not given the death penalty but that did not apply to several accomplices, including two women who were first tortured and then burned at the stake.

Stan Reid

Comment

Working...
                                X