Through the keyhole

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quisque? (maybe a red herring)

All these books inscribed with Ellen's name...and all the romantic novels...these make me wonder - on whose evidence exactly is Ellen illiterate or semi-literate?

Just a passing thought on a cold Saturday morning

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Cogidubnus View Post
      All these books inscribed with Ellen's name...and all the romantic novels...these make me wonder - on whose evidence exactly is Ellen illiterate or semi-literate?

Just a passing thought on a cold Saturday morning

Dave
      Good Morning, Dave,
      I believe Ellen's sister said that Bury wrote the letters Ellen sent to her.

Is it possible Ellen could read, but had never really written much?

With the sort of instruments that were available then, I would think a person would need a great deal of practice to not make a mess of things.

Velma

Comment

Hi Velma

That's a very interesting thought...vide the the fake letter purporting to be from a prospective employer...

All the best

Dave

Comment

Duh!

Obvious really...in the transcription it should be a figured velvet jacket!

All the best

Dave

Comment

Ellen's Letters

It does seem strange that the items found in the flat would all belong to Bury (romantic novels etc). Perhaps Ellen was trying to improve her reading/writing?

What's the motive for Ellen hiding her literacy?

Bury managed to learn to read and write very well, considering he lost both parents early in life. Ellen had a father (who was a publican) and a wealthy aunt who could have helped her, if she wanted it. Margaret, (her sister) was also able to read to write. She accepted Bury wrote letters to her on Ellen's behalf. I think we can accept the fact that Ellen wasn't very good at it!

Regards

Eileen

Originally posted by curious View Post
            Good Morning, Dave,
            I believe Ellen's sister said that Bury wrote the letters Ellen sent to her.

With the sort of instruments that were available then, I would think a person would need a great deal of practice to not make a mess of things.

Velma

Comment

Originally posted by Mrsperfect View Post
              It does seem strange that the items found in the flat would all belong to Bury (romantic novels etc). Perhaps Ellen was trying to improve her reading/writing?

What's the motive for Ellen hiding her literacy?

Bury managed to learn to read and write very well, considering he lost both parents early in life. Ellen had a father (who was a publican) and a wealthy aunt who could have helped her, if she wanted it. Margaret, (her sister) was also able to read to write. She accepted Bury wrote letters to her on Ellen's behalf. I think we can accept the fact that Ellen wasn't very good at it!

Regards

Eileen

Just wondering if Bury writing Ellen's letters was a way for him to control what she said to her sister.

By not allowing her to write, she could not get anything private to her sister about him or their relationship.

However, I would guess that perhaps Ellen never practiced writing much and wasn't good at it (and therefore the graffiti on their house could have been written by Ellen -- but doesn't not explain by Bury didn't wipe it off).

Comment

Inventory

In the transcription of the inventory, having run comparisons with other similarly placed letters throughout the long list, I'm now pretty certain about the surname "Winser"...Having done the same as regards the Litany inscription, I think it may be "Miss Ellen" - with flourishes on the M of Miss...either that or her first name was actually Oniss!

Sorry to be so anal, but it's been bugging me, and I'm not one to give up lightly!

All the best

Dave

Comment

head nor tail

Anyway you clearly have a sharp eye Dave so i will be uploading something soon in a couple of days which i cant make head nor tail of and much appreciate any input you can give. I dont think there will be any good clues but then i dont know for sure because i cant read it!
                  Hi Boggles

Did you ever sort out this article...I love a good puzzle!

All the best

Dave

Comment

ok, befroe the site was down but now iwill make a new thread tmw morning with the document attached. As far as i can make out it is a petition to prevent the hanging (as mnay people were objecting to capital punishment (even in those days). I believe it includes some interesting information on burys background. but not sure.

Comment

Working...
                    X