Sweeney Todd?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The String of Pearls: A Romance

Actually, I just finished reading the book myself. It actually reflects more on the real-life Sweeney Todd. I found this really fascinating article on him here: http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/s...html?print=yes

When I first read it, I was quite surprised to find out that it wasn't anything like what was in the movie. Stephen Sondheim changed the plot into a more justified murder spree which appears in the musicals and movies as we now know.

In the Stephen Sondheim version, Sweeney was a man after Judge Turpin after raping Lucy and taking Johanna. In the process he becomes madly obsessed that his razors become the only object of his affection, and they became his "friends". However, the historical Sweeney killed for cash. Not so interesting now, is it?

Actually, in the movie, I really loved Sweeney there, but in the book, I wanted to knife him myself as I was going along. My friends even went to the point of calling him an--if I may say--ass.

The book wasn't written by an experienced author. I give it credit to the man who actually tasted the meat pies at least twice, as mentioned in the article. I keep forgetting his name... I loved it but the only problems were, as far as I see, were...

1) There were parts where the suspense was high but it suddenly plummets because of scenes that seem to interrupt the action. One example I can mention is the madwoman's tale.

2) Whatever happened to the madwoman!? She just fell when she an Toby were escaping from the asylum. And then what!?

3) I'm especially irritated when the author intrudes the readers thoughts. It's not very good for a book. It's some like, "Oh, the curse attached to a bottle of beer. Better not for you, dear reader, know its horrendous effects." That's why they're disappearing from new books. It's just a bad idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Karmi-Sempai View Post
      Actually, I just finished reading the book myself.
      What book are you talking about?

If you followed this discussion thread at all, you would have learned that there is and never was any such person as Sweeney Todd. He is purely a literary creation, and not a very original one at that.

From the Wikipedia entry:

Claims that Sweeney Todd was a real person are unsubstantiated and unproven.
      Last edited by baracine; 06-27-2008, 04:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Karmi-Sempai View Post
        It actually reflects more on the real-life Sweeney Todd.
        There was no real life Sweeney Todd, as detailed quite thoroughly in the earlier posts in this thread.

Dan Norder
        Ripper Notes: The International Journal for Ripper Studies
        Web site: www.RipperNotes.com - Email: dannorder@gmail.com

Comment

Really? I apologize. Please don't kill me.

*hides behind the wall from tomatoes being thrown at her*

I was talking about The String of Pearls. I thought Prest to be a real person due to this line in the article.

Thomas Peckett Prest was the first author to write the tale of Sweeney Todd and Margery Lovett shortly after their arrest and trial. He had worked on Fleet Street and was familiar with Lovett's two-story pie shop. In the basement of the shop was the bakery, and a false wall could be opened to reveal the catacombs behind.

Have you read the article? I wasn't able to get a hold on the fact the Crime Library based it on the Haining book. Well, Todd was said to be born in a certain time and place. He may have existed, but I suppose most probably in the threats of him being a bogeyman. But if he didn't, I apologize for the confusion. I'll just stick to the comments I gave about the book, then.
          Last edited by Karmi-Sempai; 06-28-2008, 06:50 AM.

Comment

We have recently had a new unisex hair salon open a few streets away called "Sweeney Todds"!!

There is no pie shop but there is a takeaway selling rather dubious Kebabs!
            Needless to say, I will not be visiting any time soon!
            Regards Mike

Comment

Sweeney Todd's!?

Really? Maybe they'll also do some acting. Make sure you don't look wealthy and check if the chairs are fastened to the ground. For extra measure, have someone with you who'll never leave the shop. I wonder if their barber looks anything like Sweeney... And beware of those kebabs!

Comment

Hi Karmi-Sempai,

Yes, Prest existed (see the Wikipedia entry), but he wrote works of fiction, not history.

Haining's book is bizarre in that it claims Sweeney Todd was a real person and in actual court records, but no one else has ever been able to find any record of anyone like that (not by different but similar names or by similar crimes). These days, with those documents being a lot more widely available, it's simply impossible for their to have been an actual Sweeney Todd court case that no one can track down. But then it was originally written as fiction, and based upon earlier fiction, so of course we shouldn't expect to find any real records. Haining seems to have been either extremely confused or an outright liar in his book. The Crime Library article is unfortunately written by someone who take Haining at his word and didn't research it any farther than that.

Dan Norder
                Ripper Notes: The International Journal for Ripper Studies
                Web site: www.RipperNotes.com - Email: dannorder@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Covell View Post
                  We have recently had a new unisex hair salon open a few streets away called "Sweeney Todds"!!

There is no pie shop but there is a takeaway selling rather dubious Kebabs!
                  Needless to say, I will not be visiting any time soon!
                  There has been such a hair salon on Yonge Street at Davisville, in Toronto, Ontario, for years. I gasped at the sight.

Comment

to be honest i think the whole idea of a killer barber is real especially in vixtorian times but i think the films and books over exaggerated it a bit.

Comment

Probable origin of the name "Benjamin Barker", Sweeney Todd's "real name" in Christopher Bond's play:

From Genesis, 49, 27: "Benjamin is a ravenous wolf; In the morning he devours the prey, And in the evening he divides the spoil."

Barker... because "every dog has his day."

Comment

Working...
                      X