This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Poster Registration and Guidelines

In order to have your account approved for posting, you must send a Registration Email to administrator (at) casebook.org titled "New Registration Request" (that EXACT title) and tell us the Username you registered as well as a statement indicating that you have read and agree to abide by the Rules of the forum. We get a lot of spam registrations and your account will not be approved unless you can follow those instructions. If you can't follow these instructions, it proves you aren't interested enough in posting here to either familiarize yourself with the rules, or follow some simple instructions and therefore, we don't want you posting here. Please also be advised, that this is a one person operation. They are not sitting around waiting for new people to join. Admin does not get paid. Registrations usually occur in a single batch once a week. It might be a few days before your registration gets approved. That's just how it goes. If you have sent your email and it's been more than a week, please feel free to send us a follow up email. Do not send us multiple emails a day, asking when you will be approved, from the minute you send your registration because we're likely to bin you, because we assume you'll be a pain in the .....

Registration Guidelines
    Each community has its own feel and its own rhythm. Below are some guidelines for transitioning into this community.

1. Read the Rules. This page is not the rules. These are guidelines for you, as a new poster. We have created an explicit rule system. Read it. The Admin gets very snarky and annoyed when people send us an email asking a question that is already clearly answered on the forums because they are too lazy to do some reading or use the search feature. We tend to just ignore those emails.

2. Recognize that anything you post here is permanent. Occasionally we get people who have posted under their real name or through some other identifier asking to have their entire posting history deleted because they are undergoing a job search or suddenly wish to disavow their words. No, we will not do this. We have archived posts from 1999. If you post it here, it is here for as long as the website exists.

3. Before creating a new thread, search the forums to see if a thread already exists on that topic. If there is not a thread on the topic you wish to discuss, make sure that you create your new thread in the appropriate forum. Suspect threads in the individual suspects forum, victim threads in the matching victims forum, etc. Please make sure you title your thread specifically and as relevantly as possible. Don't title a thread "So I was thinking about this..." but instead " A thought about where Jack might have lived". This helps us in determining whether threads are appropriately placed or need to be moved to a new forum.

4. Make an effort to communicate clearly, using appropriate punctuation and capitalization. We have valued foreign posters who already have difficulty deciphering English without the added complication of trying to glean the meaning from a sloppy, carelessly written post that has no punctuation markers. This holds especially true on Ripper related threads.

5. Be prepared to be disagreed with especially when discussing theories. Accept it as part and parcel of participating in the boards. Do not argue expecting to win, but for the sake of airing and sharing ideas.

6. Be advised: New members are sometimes restricted from accessing certain forums for a specific period of time. This generally occurs when we are having trouble with a banned poster repeatedly attempting to create multiple new accounts and spam a particular topic. Sorry for the inconvenience if you register during this time. Generally speaking, the "Other Mysteries" section is open only to established members as that tends to be where we get the majority of our issues.

7. Closing an Account: Occasionally we have a member ask us to close their account. In the past, we have done this without question, and immediately closed the account. We are not a cult, we have no desire to hold people against their will and so if we had someone reach out to us, we did not question, we did not ask "Are you sure?" because we presumed that people were adult enough to know their own minds and wouldn't be asking for something they didn't actually want. However, multiple times we were contacted within a week or two by the poster, asking to have their account re-instated. Our breaking point was when this happened on a repeated basis within the same month and each person asked to come back, the last one within 3 days of requesting their account be closed. To Wit:

If you have asked to have your account deleted, you will have been linked to this thread and told to read #7 and to copy and paste a resignation statement found there to show you understand that your account will not be reinstated once we close it. You may pick either of the two as proof of your understanding.

"Thank you, yes, you condescending jerks, I am adult enough to know my own mind and I do not want to post on your stupid forums anymore and I will NEVER, NEVER ask to come back to this godforsaken place that all reason and common sense have abandoned. CLOSE MY ACCOUNT!! GOOD DAY."

or,

"Hi yes, I understand that this action is irrevocable and you will not be reinstating my account when I inevitably change my mind and come crawling back. Thank you, please close my account."

Please copy either of those sentences and return it, so we know for a fact, you know for a fact, and won't ask us to reinstate you in 2 weeks, or 2 months or 2 years. Well, really if it's been 2 years, nostalgia might have us give you a pass.
    Last edited by Admin; 10-22-2023, 03:46 PM.
Working...
X