Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Simon Webb View Post
    Yes it's me again.

I'm wondering if you have any specific reason for thinking Chapman isn't the Ripper, as mentioned in this post.

Thanks for your prompt reply to my direct e-mail, by the way.

SW
    Hi Simon

It's simply a case of everyone being "innocent until proven guilty".

Helena
    Helena Wojtczak BSc (Hons) FRHistS.

Author of 'Jack the Ripper at Last? George Chapman, the Southwark Poisoner'. Click this link : - http://www.hastingspress.co.uk/chapman.html

Comment

Originally posted by HelenaWojtczak View Post
      Update: I have been given this suggestion as a title:

“The Man behind the Face of Jack the Ripper:
      George Chapman unmasked”
      Ye gods. That is the most awkward and unwieldy, not to mention nonsensical, title I've ever heard.

First of all, there is no "the face of Jack the Ripper". There are only artists with imaginations mocking up faces of what they think he looked like, which have no more basis in reality than me giving my dog a paintbrush and telling her to paint Jack. So the title is inaccurate and misleading in addition to being unwieldy.

Let all Oz be agreed;
      I need a better class of flying monkeys.

Comment

Originally posted by Ally View Post
        Ye gods. That is the most awkward and unwieldy, not to mention nonsensical, title I've ever heard.

First of all, there is no "the face of Jack the Ripper". There are only artists with imaginations mocking up faces of what they think he looked like, which have no more basis in reality than me giving my dog a paintbrush and telling her to paint Jack. So the title is inaccurate and misleading in addition to being unwieldy.
        Well, obviously, that is why I am not using it.

Paul Begg has invented a title for my book, and I am using that one.

Helena

Author of 'Jack the Ripper at Last? George Chapman, the Southwark Poisoner'. Click this link : - http://www.hastingspress.co.uk/chapman.html

Comment

How about this for a title:

"Wojtczak brings you Klosowski, not Kosminski: this is The Unpronouncables."

Comment

Originally posted by Fleetwood Mac View Post
            How about this for a title:

"Wojtczak brings you Klosowski, not Kosminski: this is The Unpronouncables."
            Totally BRILLIANT!

Love it!

Cheers, Mac!

Here is Paul Begg's title, which I have incorporated into my cover design

Comment

One comment about the cover: I'd rather see the title in quotes than with a question mark at the end. Just my opinion.

Mike
              huh?

Comment

I love the Clouseau quote. Applies to JtR beautifully.

Comment

Yes, maybe just "Jack the Ripper at last?" would suffice with the explanation on the blurb

Isn't it a bit doubtful that Abberline said that, or is it just a case of when he said it?

It's looking good Helena - I've been looking forward to the publication of this one

I consider Chapman to be a good Ripper candidate - better than most anyway

Comment

Love the title just as it is Helena...ticks all the necessary boxes without damaging your integrity...terrific!

Dave

Comment

Never mind the title, what about your name? Helena Wojtczak?? Why not simplify like many authors do...

Lena Wojo. That's better. If you're worried about collecting royalties under a different name, designate me as the beneficary and I'll flip the proceeds over to you at only a one percent commission.

Comment

Originally posted by HelenaWojtczak View Post
                        Totally BRILLIANT!

Love it!

Cheers, Mac!

Here is Paul Begg's title, which I have incorporated into my cover design

http://www.hastingspress.co.uk/chapman2.html
                        Hi Helena

As the phrase goes, 'sarcasm is the lowest form of wit'.

Mr Begg's title was suggested by someone else many moons ago.

I'd say that your best bet for the cover of your book would be side by side copies of the 1904 drawing and the Tussaud's waxwork photo.
                        allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

Originally posted by Nemo View Post
                          Yes, maybe just "Jack the Ripper at last?" would suffice with the explanation on the blurb

Isn't it a bit doubtful that Abberline said that, or is it just a case of when he said it?

It's looking good Helena - I've been looking forward to the publication of this one

I consider Chapman to be a good Ripper candidate - better than most anyway
                          Hmm.. I am still mulling over the title, that is why I have not yet registered the book (which is why you won't find it on Amazon.)

I used to think that Abberline never said it, but I have since changed my mind. You see, the claim was that he said it when Chapman was arrested. But that makes no sense chronologically. If it was ever said or written, it makes more sense that happened in March 1903.

Thanks for your compliments. The book is proving to be a lot more difficult and complex than I originally envisaged, but I plod on day by day ....

Helena

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Nelson View Post
                            Lena Wojo. That's better.
                            Make me sound Japanese!

What about Helzak?

This is silly!

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Thomas View Post

Mr Begg's title was suggested by someone else many moons ago.
                              Well I never saw that, so I am still grateful to Paul for the suggestion.

Originally posted by Stephen Thomas View Post

I'd say that your best bet for the cover of your book would be side by side copies of the 1904 drawing and the Tussaud's waxwork photo.
                              Mark Oldridge tells me that the Tussaud photo isn't the waxwork of Chapman (which I thought it was!) That's a pity because it's the highest resolution picture that I have of him <sigh>.

Helena

Comment

Originally posted by The Good Michael View Post
                                One comment about the cover: I'd rather see the title in quotes than with a question mark at the end. Just my opinion.

Mike
                                It originally had quote marks. They looked ugly on a cover, and I decided there was no need.

The question mark is crucial to the meaning of the book. I am not another R.M. Gordon, I'm writing Chapman's life story, with a big section focussing on on his candidacy as the Ripper.

Thanks for all the feedback guys

Helena

Comment

Working...
                                X