Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Next Meeting Saturday 5th April

Shirley Harrison will be our guest speaker and her talk will be:

Sylvia Pankhurst - A Maverick life: George Bernard Shaw declared, 'There are only two opinions about about her. One was that she was miraculous. The other that she was unbearable'. In this talk, Shirley Harrison looks at the life of Sylvia Pankhurst, a prominent campaigner in the suffragette movement but who continued to make an impact on the world stage long after the crusade for women's suffrage had been won. Campaigning for women and workers, Sylvia Pankhurst was also an important figure in the communist movement and a keen supporter of Haile Selassie, and is the only foreigner to have been given a state funeral by the Emperor of Ethiopia.

We meet downstairs at the Aldgate Exchange, Whitechapel High Street - between Aldgate UG and Goulston Street. Doors open at 7pm.

Everyone welcome. There is a small charge for non-members, but it works out cheaper to sign up for a subscription on the night.

Hope to see you there.

Coral

Hi Coral-
    What a wonderful GBS description!!! Wish some sad deluded fool would say that about me!!!
    Sadly wont be able to make this one.Sure it'll be wonderful......as ever!!!
    Get a cameraman/woman there and post some pics though....please!
    Love
    Suz x
    'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

Hi Coral -

Will we be doing a raffle as usual at the April meeting?

Mark

Comment

Hi Mark

Yes, there will be a raffle.

Hi Suzi

Sorry you wont be able to make it -- see you in June?

Coral

Comment

Next Meeting

Please dont forget our next meeting - 5th April at the Aldgate Exchange. Shirley Harrison will be talking about Sylvia Pankhurst - but dont be shy bring your 'Diary' along for a signature - I am sure Shirley will oblige

Everyone welcome.

Coral

Comment

Originally posted by coral View Post
            Everyone welcome.
            Except for one little man who'll be there and one homeless woman who won't.

PHILIP
            Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

Philip,

talk about bitter man

Jenni
              “be just and fear not”

Comment

I just did talk about bitter man. I alluded to him, Jenni.

PHILIP
                Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

Philip,

just because you yourself are not feared by the bad and loved by the good

no wait

anyway, i am gutted i will miss this one but hopefully my renewal will get to Coral intime for me to get my journal as i seem to have grown lazy!

Jen
                  “be just and fear not”

Comment

Hi Coral and All,
                    I wont be able to make it either but the June and August meetings should be fine.
                    Have a great time
                    Natalie

Comment

Hi Coral - Won't be there either sadly but will be there in spirit! (!)

My PC's buggerring abt here and cant get back into the Ripperana thread/thing I started a hr or so ago!!!!

Oh well have a great time....I'm sure it'll be great! Love to all!

Suz x (and Dids)
                      'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

For me the meeting was great - I have been pressing for a 'sufragette' talk for many months. Ok not a JTR talk but within our remit of promoting Victorian and Edwardian history.

Shirley arrived late due to unexpected travel complications - but it was well worth the wait. I am sure everyone else attending also enjoyed the evening

And no-one mentioned the Diary! - which I am sure Shirley really appreciated.

Coral

Comment

Working...
                        X