This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Chris.

Smashing Old Castle Street image there. I guess that was taken from about the AM murder site as I see Wentworth Street in the distance (so this view is looking to the north-east). I feel a book re-write coming on...

The image we used of Castle Alley / Old Castle Street in TLoJtRTaN (the small one) was actually a screen grab I made of an old photo that was being sold on eBay a few years back that went for far too much money for me at the time. I spent ages removing the watermark and cleaning and resizing it and, to be honest, if you'd seen the original you'd be surprised at how well it turned out in the book. It's still pretty poor, though, so I asked to have it very small.

PHILIP
    Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

• On the image of Old Castle Street, what is the weaved basket outside the gates to the yard?

Regards Mike

Comment

• Originally posted by George Hutchinson View Post
        Smashing Old Castle Street image there. I guess that was taken from about the AM murder site as I see Wentworth Street in the distance (so this view is looking to the north-east).
        "... from about the AM murder site ..."

Farther north, Philip !!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	111.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	256.6 KB
ID:	653025
        1894 Large Scale OS
        Blue: 108-119 Goulston Street, St. Mary Whitechapel
        Red / Green: Two Buildings Seen in Each of the Photos, Situated on the Northeast Corner of Old Castle Street and Castle Court, St. Mary Whitechapel
        Claret: Approximate Location of the Murder Site of Alice McKenzie (Rob will have a more accurate plot, I'm sure)

Name:	113.jpg
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	653027
        Corner of Old Castle Street and New Castle Place, St. Mary Whitechapel
        from south

Castle Court, St. Mary Whitechapel can be seen just before the green corner-building.

Name:	112.jpg
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	653026
        Old Castle Street, St. Mary Whitechapel
        from south; immediately north of intersection with Castle Court

Colin

Name:	Septic Blue.gif
Views:	112
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	653028

Comment

• Damn those Victorian lenses and small houses. It throws everything out of (expected) proportion. Still, Colin, ain't ya glad I gave you a chance to do something new with shading and maps?

PHILIP
          Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

• Just spent the first of two days doing mop-up research for my book. Went to Christchurch expecting a small tour, but ended up spending most of the afternoon there, talking to various people who work there.

I got some nice photographs, mind. One of the volunteers took me up into the galleries too, which was nice.

Name:	Christchurch1.jpg
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	653082

Name:	Christchurch2.jpg
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	653083

Name:	Christchurch3.jpg
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	653084

Tomorrow is going to be a bit different. I'm off to talk to Sandra at the Golden Heart. Wish me luck.

Comment

• Thanks to everyone who posted pictures. That may very well be as close to London as I ever get. You brought it to life.

Comment

• A couple of pictures by a photographer named Stuart Haden. The series is simply called "London, Spitalfields, 1984"
                Attached Files

Comment

• A while back there was some debate on the older threads regarding the sign in the sky over Mitre Square (its an illustration earlier in the thread)
                  This might go some way in explaining it, its taken in Kingston upon Hull at the turn of the century and shows the top end of Carr Lane.
                  The sign is similar to the one above Mitre Square.
                  For Ripper fans, Carr Lane was once the site of a mens clothing store that Frederick Bailey Deeming bought his suits from!!
                  Attached Files
                  Regards Mike

Comment

• I had to go to the East End today and while I was there I took some snaps.

I had a text from Philip telling me the three old buildings on Whitechapel High Street behind the Lloyds building had been demolished.

Name:	Whitechapel High Street 19 March 2008.jpg
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	653106

The George, Commercial Road where Rose Mylett was seen. This pub is also threatened with the bulldozer

Name:	The George, Commercial Roadt 19 March 2008.jpg
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	653107

The London Hydrolic Power Company, Glamis Road. This building was built in 1890.

Name:	The London Hydrolic Power Company, Glamis Road 19 March 2008.jpg
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	653108

The Railway Arms, Sutton Street.

Name:	The Railway Arms, Sutton St, 19 March 2008.jpg
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	653109

A nice View from Wapping

Name:	Veiw from Wapping 19 March 2008.jpg
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	653110

Arty farty photo of Cable Street

Name:	Cable Street, 19 March 2008.jpg
Size:	153.0 KB
ID:	653111

St Peters, London Docks

Name:	St Peters London Docks 19 March 2008.jpg
Size:	143.6 KB
ID:	653112

And the entrance

Name:	St Peters London Docks, entrance 19 March 2008.jpg
Size:	186.2 KB
ID:	653113

Tobacco Docks

Name:	Tobbacco Docks, 19 March 2008.jpg
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	653114

Rob

Comment

• Great pics Rob.I was in Plummers Row yesterday collecting some canvasses from Atlantis.Whitechapel roads seem to all be getting dug up at the moment--are they replacing Victorian water pipes or something-any idea?
                      Nats

Comment

• Hi Nats,

I don't think it is only the East End. Roads all over London seem to be being dug up. I think it's normal. Something to do with the end of the financial year. Councils have to use up all there budgeted money or something like that.

Rob

Comment

• Originally posted by Rob Clack View Post
                          Hi Nats,

I don't think it is only the East End. Roads all over London seem to be being dug up. I think it's normal. Something to do with the end of the financial year. Councils have to use up all there budgeted money or something like that.

Rob
                          Yeah, a guy at work mentioned this last week. But it's not just London. I was in Bushey the other day and it was a nightmare for the same reasons.

That said, I was in Whitechapel/Spitalfields today and it's bonkers. Thank God I was walking.

JB

Comment

• Hi Rob

That Railway Arms photo is beautiful. Thanks.
                            allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

• Originally posted by Natalie Severn View Post
                              Great pics Rob.I was in Plummers Row yesterday collecting some canvasses from Atlantis.Whitechapel roads seem to all be getting dug up at the moment--are they replacing Victorian water pipes or something-any idea?
                              Nats
                              There not looking for Martha Tabram then?
                              Regards Mike

Comment

• Thanks folks.It definitely seemed worse than other places---several roads
                                shut down---even round Tower bridge and the Minories causing apoplexy for some motorists!
                                Natalie

Comment

Working...
                                X