Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whitehchapel pubs, with a Ripper connection......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whitehchapel pubs, with a Ripper connection......

Being a regular visitor to Whitechapel, I like to just walk round the place. I've done the murder scenes to death (pardon the pun) and I think most will agree with regards to them there's not a great deal to see. Some parts of the district do make it possible to imagine what it was like there "back in the day".

On my most recent visit, I decided to try and visit every pub with a Ripper connection, still in existence..............

Culpeper (Princess Alice) on Commercial Street - Pizer & Coles are known to have frequented.

King's Store on Sandy Row - Kelly being a patron.

10 Bells - no introduction needed there.

The Bell on Middlesex Street - Coles drank there.

Pride of Spitalfields Heneage Street - Hardiman & Hutchinson (Ripper suspects) both used this pub as their local.

Duke of Wellington Brune Street - no connection but pretty much in the middle of the area, someone with a connection must have drank in there

The Brown Bear on Lemen Street - of Ripper Street fame.

What I found most interesting was that none of these pubs had jumped on the band wagon as tourist attractions. I even asked the landlord of the Brown Bear why he hadn't done so.

Having had two pints in each (3 in The Bell), I was slightly soaked

Would be interested to know if I've missed any for next time.........
    Last edited by The Station Cat; 01-07-2018, 07:17 AM.

McCarthy spoke at a meeting in the Wellington, about bad perceptions of the area

Comment

Kłosowski's White Hart.
      Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Originally posted by The Station Cat View Post
        Being a regular visitor to Whitechapel, I like to just walk round the place. I've done the murder scenes to death (pardon the pun) and I think most will agree with regards to them there's not a great deal to see. Some parts of the district do make it possible to imagine what it was like there "back in the day".

On my most recent visit, I decided to try and visit every pub with a Ripper connection, still in existence..............

Culpeper (Princess Alice) on Commercial Street - Pizer & Coles are known to have frequented.

King's Store on Sandy Row - Kelly being a patron.

10 Bells - no introduction needed there.

The Bell on Middlesex Street - Coles drank there.

Pride of Spitalfields Heneage Street - Hardiman & Hutchinson (Ripper suspects) both used this pub as their local.

Duke of Wellington Brune Street - no connection but pretty much in the middle of the area, someone with a connection must have drank in there

The Brown Bear on Lemen Street - of Ripper Street fame.

What I found most interesting was that none of these pubs had jumped on the band wagon as tourist attractions. I even asked the landlord of the Brown Bear why he hadn't done so.

Having had two pints in each (3 in The Bell), I was slightly soaked

Would be interested to know if I've missed any for next time.........
        Hi Cat
        Interesting idea for a thread. are all the ones you mention still open and operating as pubs?
        "Is all that we see or seem
        but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
        quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Originally posted by Steve S View Post
          McCarthy spoke at a meeting in the Wellington, about bad perceptions of the area
          That's interesting so it does have a sort of a Ripper connection after all.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
            Kłosowski's White Hart.

Of course, forgot about that one. Have sunk many a pint in there over the years

There's also the Blind Beggar (of Kray fame), would be interested to know whether that has an Ripper connection?

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
              Hi Cat
              Interesting idea for a thread. are all the ones you mention still open and operating as pubs?

Yes most certainly!!! A couple are a bit trendy now, but most of them still retain an atmosphere (well I think so). Certainly well worth visiting!!!

Comment

Was the 10 Bells known as the 'Jack The Ripper' for a while or did I dream that?

Comment

Originally posted by Geddy2112 View Post
                  Was the 10 Bells known as the 'Jack The Ripper' for a while or did I dream that?
                  Not a dream, for a short period it was. Glad they changed it back.

Comment

Yes it was. There was also a bar in lower Manhattan by the name of "Jack the Ripper" and neither succeeded, which to my mind is significant. Similarly there has never been a major play or musical based on the case. Given that the Whitechapel murders were a true-life case, perhaps it's too close to the bone!
                    Christopher T. George
                    Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
                    just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
                    For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
                    RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

On my last walk around the area I'm sure I spotted a Gents hairdressers called 'Jack The Clippers' mmmmmm

Comment

On my last walk around the area I'm sure I spotted a Gents hairdressers called 'Jack The Clippers' mmmmmm
                        Yep! A few doors up from the Wellington, at 6 Toynbee Street.

Comment

Originally posted by The Station Cat View Post
                          That's interesting so it does have a sort of a Ripper connection after all.
                          Indeed. McCarthy's speech is reported here;

Comment

Some would say that is exploiting the murders (and thus the victims too), although others might insist that the name is just a witty observation on local history....
                            Christopher T. George
                            Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
                            just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
                            For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
                            RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
                              Some would say that is exploiting the murders (and thus the victims too), although others might insist that the name is just a witty observation on local history....
                              Indeed however apart from the odd thing in the London Dungeon, a figure at the old Wax works there is not much 'exploitation' of Jack and his poor victims. Some might say more might have been expected.

However there are a fair few 'walks' that are full every night so I guess the walk hosts have made the most from it all..

Comment

Working...
                              X