Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
General Discussion: What Would It Take To Convince You? - by Herlock Sholmes 5 minutes ago.
Alice Mackenzie: McKenzie - Ripper or not? - by jerryd 17 minutes ago.
Mary Jane Kelly: Weapons used on Mary? - by Henry Flower 19 minutes ago.
Mary Jane Kelly: Weapons used on Mary? - by Sam Flynn 22 minutes ago.
General Discussion: What Would It Take To Convince You? - by Trevor Marriott 40 minutes ago.
Mary Jane Kelly: Weapons used on Mary? - by Henry Flower 48 minutes ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Mary Jane Kelly: Weapons used on Mary? - (37 posts)
General Discussion: What Would It Take To Convince You? - (25 posts)
Witnesses: Value of a lie - (13 posts)
Maybrick, James: 25 YEARS OF THE DIARY OF JACK THE RIPPER: THE TRUE FACTS by Robert Smith - (12 posts)
Maybrick, James: One Incontrovertible, Unequivocal, Undeniable Fact Which Refutes the Diary - (12 posts)
General Police Discussion: Leaving one's beat - (3 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Social Chat > Other Mysteries

Old 08-10-2017, 12:44 PM
Assistant Commissioner

Here's a major inconsistency with Parkes' account. According to Parkes Parry told him that Wallace had been arrested for Julia"s murder. Accept he hadn't. Not at the time Parkes claimed this conversation took place.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 01:21 AM
Assistant Commissioner

Should of course be "except", not "accept." Oops!
Old Yesterday, 12:51 PM
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by John G View Post
Here's a major inconsistency with Parkes' account. According to Parkes Parry told him that Wallace had been arrested for Julia"s murder. Accept he hadn't. Not at the time Parkes claimed this conversation took place.
John, I have not had time to catch up on the all the latest posts, but I saw the above. Parkes was told by a copper on the beat that Wallace had been arrested. The policeman, like the rest of Liverpool, was awash with rumours even just a few hours after the murder.
Old Yesterday, 11:01 PM
Assistant Commissioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCaseJury View Post
John, I have not had time to catch up on the all the latest posts, but I saw the above. Parkes was told by a copper on the beat that Wallace had been arrested. The policeman, like the rest of Liverpool, was awash with rumours even just a few hours after the murder.
Hi CCJ,

But Wallace wasn't arrested until thirteen days after the murder (and I think it unlikely that a local police officer would be spreading rumours). This raises an interesting possibility. I do believe there was some incident at the garage, but that it happened much later than Parkes remembered. And it would be hardly surprising if events had got mixed up in his mind, considering he was attempting to recall an incident from almost half a century ago.

And, if I'm correct, it's possible that a mischievous Parry was simply winding-up a gullible Parkes, knowing that if he took him seriously, and reported the matter, he was protected by his cast iron alibis.

Last edited by John G : Yesterday at 11:14 PM.
Old Today, 02:02 AM
Assistant Commissioner

I would also add thatch the local beat officer was in a much better position to know, or discover, the full facts of the case than an ordinary, gossiping member of the public.
Old Today, 06:02 AM
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by John G View Post
Hi CCJ,

But Wallace wasn't arrested until thirteen days after the murder (and I think it unlikely that a local police officer would be spreading rumours). This raises an interesting possibility. I do believe there was some incident at the garage, but that it happened much later than Parkes remembered. And it would be hardly surprising if events had got mixed up in his mind, considering he was attempting to recall an incident from almost half a century ago.

And, if I'm correct, it's possible that a mischievous Parry was simply winding-up a gullible Parkes, knowing that if he took him seriously, and reported the matter, he was protected by his cast iron alibis.
John, I am in agreement with you here. It seems Parkes' story may have been conflated.

Also, I'd like to add that Rod often said Parkes mentioning Parry and another fellow coming by the garage to threaten his silence was strong evidence for his theory.

In actual fact, Parkes merely said Parry came by with another after the 20th and on that occassion the garage owners told him not to allow Parry there because "things aren't safe". The implication being this was the next time Parry dared to show up after his confession.

There was no explicit statement about Parry or this other fellow threatening Parkes, nor was it to my eyes and ears implied at all.

Furthermore, the idea of Parry's appearance after this supposed confession being the catalyst to bar him from the garage is interesting because wasn't he apparently barely welcome anyway due to rifling thru the coats there? Of course, murder is a whole other deal but we have already mentioned the issues with this. (The shocking inaction if the entire garage really knew Parry was the culprit and WHW was innocent.) The entirety of Parkes' story as well as the suppposed corroboration of others in the 1981 radio city presentation seems hazy and inconsistent to me.