Do you think it will be solved?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you think it will be solved?

Do you believe that the true identity of Jack the Ripper and/or the perpetrators of the Whitechapel Murders will be satisfactorily proved (whatever that means) and that the Whitechapel Murder case will be solved?
    Yes
    11.76%
    No
    88.24%

Originally posted by Sleuth1888 View Post
    Do you believe that the true identity of Jack the Ripper and/or the perpetrators of the Whitechapel Murders will be satisfactorily proved (whatever that means) and that the Whitechapel Murder case will be solved?
    The only chance would be some lost papers coming to light.

Something like (but not necessarily) Mcnaghtens notes on the “Private Information” why Druitt’s family thought he was the ripper, and it contained verifiable facts, OR notes on the seaside ID. That sort of thing.

Even then I expect there’d be a lot of debate over the genuiness of whatever came to light, (as there should be in my opinion).

Even a confession wouldn’t get any sort of general acceptance now.
    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

probably not. I think it would take someone finding an old trunk in an attic somewhere with a confession and or evidence accompanying it.
      "Is all that we see or seem
      but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
      quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Hey, what if at some point some old building was being repaired, and an old book kind of like a diary was found? Yeah? You know, maybe under the floorboards? What if in this old book was written in someone's handwriting a total confession of the Ripper murders? This would be it, wouldn't it? I think this is the kind of thing we should be looking for. Yeah? That would prove it, no problem-o. Like, everyone would believe it, yeah?

Graham
        We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

Basically ditto to all above.

Even if some important new find came to light it would have to be conclusive. Like a series of letters between 2 senior officers spilling the beans. Then again, almost anything would be disputed. I really cant see this ever being solved. Can anyone think of an item of evidence that couldnt be disputed?
          Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
            probably not. I think it would take someone finding an old trunk in an attic somewhere with a confession and or evidence accompanying it.
            You already have a diary Abby. There’s just no pleasing some
            Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

I’ve no doubt that my own suspect was the killer! Well, only a little doubt. Almost insignificant doubt. A smallish doubt.

Whether I can prove it is another matter.

Absolute proof these days would, imho, consist of finding the victims’ missing organs. And then only if it could be shown who stored them originally.

Comment

Originally posted by Kattrup View Post
                I’ve no doubt that my own suspect was the killer! Well, only a little doubt. Almost insignificant doubt. A smallish doubt.

Whether I can prove it is another matter.

Absolute proof these days would, imho, consist of finding the victims’ missing organs. And then only if it could be shown who stored them originally.
                Which of course would be an entirely different issue, proving who stored them i mean.

Have you named your suspect, have i missed it?

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Elamarna View Post

Have you named your suspect, have i missed it?

Steve
                  Don’t think I have, I’ve yet to get really dirty researching him. A few minor pieces still missing, such as showing he was in London, or the UK, or Europe, in 1888.

His name was Christian Hansen, an exceedingly common Danish name. What makes him interesting? Before committing suicide in 1904 he confessed to some coworkers that some years previously he murdered a woman by cutting her throat.
                  Also he was a ship’s cattle driver. As you’ll recall, one of the earliest theories about the ripper was precisely that (Larkin).

Comment

Don’t think I have, I’ve yet to get really dirty researching him. A few minor pieces still missing, such as showing he was in London, or the UK, or Europe, in 1888.

His name was Christian Hansen, an exceedingly common Danish name. What makes him interesting? Before committing suicide in 1904 he confessed to some coworkers that some years previously he murdered a woman by cutting her throat.
                    Also he was a ship’s cattle driver. As you’ll recall, one of the earliest theories about the ripper was precisely that (Larkin).
                    Interesting, best of luck with the research.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
                      You already have a diary Abby. There’s just no pleasing some
                      I meant a real one lol

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Interesting Kattrup. What first led you to this suspect?

Good luck with your research and looking forward to hearing more!

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

The ripper murdered women,so that eliminates him?

-
                          Clearly the first human laws (way older and already established) spawned organized religion's morality - from which it's writers only copied/stole,ex. you cannot kill,rob,steal (forced,it started civil society).
                          M. Pacana

Comment

Originally posted by Elamarna View Post
                            Interesting, best of luck with the research.

Steve
                            I have a feeling, Steve, that the reference "Larkin" may lead us to what kind of suspect our learned Danish friend has in mind. Plus I have another feeling that it is a tad ironic that I am the one pointing it out.

There is a very, very, very, very small chance that I am wrong on it, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
                              Interesting Kattrup. What first led you to this suspect?
                              Researching murders of women with cut throats. There wern’ That many in Denmark.

When I later was shifting through Danish Foreign Mimistry correspondence in the Danish national archives, looking for Charles Grande, one of the case files concerned one of those unsolved murders. An inquiry into the circumstances of this guy’s suicide.

Comment

Working...
                              X