X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pierre View Post
    Yes, and more.

Pierre
    Names the killer, but not a suspect book.

More Pierre BS
    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by Elamarna View Post
      John,

while I agree if there was no interruption, it seems hard to count her in; lets wait and see what evidence is presented, at that stage we can analysis what is actually presented and see if it stands up to scrutiny, rather than trying to analysis individual comments.

And if the book never appears, we need not be concerned. such as the Van Goth one.

steve
      If he does write a book it will be like Bruce Robinson's, but with less factual information!

Comment

Many thanks the comment about not a suspect book was the reason I asked, i suspect that is more to do with terminology than anything else.
        No, Steve, it is not a matter of terminology. It is a matter of methodology and nothing else.

Comment

Originally posted by John G View Post
          In the case of no interruption, she definitely wasn't a Ripper victim.
          That is what you believe.

Comment

No, Steve, it is not a matter of terminology. It is a matter of methodology and nothing else.

if you name a man and say he is the killer, is that not calling him a suspect in the widest meaning of the word? or are you insisting that he is the killer and therefore not a suspect?

Steve

Comment

If he does write a book it will be like Bruce Robinson's, but with less factual information!
              Dear John,

It will be nothing like it.

Comment

if you name a man and say he is the killer, is that not calling him a suspect in the widest meaning of the word? or are you insisting that he is the killer and therefore not a suspect?

Steve
                Dear Steve,

I am not insisting on anything at all.

For me it is a simple matter of presenting sources that should be presented.

The sources are more important than the "result". The result is the report.

Comment

Dear Steve,

Pierre

if you name a potential killer how can he not be a suspect in the use of the word in suspect theory/book?

i will leave it there because there is no point arguing semantics.

steve

Comment

Pierre

if you name a potential killer how can he not be a suspect in the use of the word in suspect theory/book?

i will leave it there because there is no point arguing semantics.

steve
                    Steve,

you have a historical problem with that concept. There were various suspects in 1888 suspected for various crimes. And then comes the ripperological concept which is a modern concept for ripperologists. The problem has been discussed on this forum earlier if you have seen that.

My own position is that the word is not needed when historical facts are established if it is not a matter of the old concept.

Pierre

Comment

Steve,

you have a historical problem with that concept. There were various suspects in 1888 suspected for various crimes. And then comes the ripperological concept which is a modern concept for ripperologists. The problem has been discussed on this forum earlier if you have seen that.

My own position is that the word is not needed when historical facts are established if it is not a matter of the old concept.

Pierre

Lets see , the sources are important correct?

Do those sources suggest that a named individual was the Whitechapel murder? apparently yes.

Do you accept those sources are accurate? apparently so.

Do you, having analyzed all the data, consider the result, the report to be valid?

Assuming your answer to the last question is correct or yes, then we must conclude that the person who will be named in the report is in your analysis likely to be the killer.

In the normal usage of the term in this field Ripper studies, and that is the field you are currently working in, a report or book which gives a name for the killer is referred to as a SUSPECT BOOK, you may not like such a term, and I have issues with it myself; However that is the reality of the field you are writing in.

And that really is my last word .

Steve

Comment

Dear Steve,

'The sources are more important than the "result."

Hypothetically speaking, if the police force had the choice of 2 outcomes which would they choose?:

a) an investigation where every piece of information that they had was meticulously sourced but they didn't catch the killer,

Or,

b) an investigation where they checked their sources but also used phrases like 'what if...' or 'maybe....' or 'I wonder if it's possible that...' and they went on to catch the killer?

I believe that there is more to an investigation than just the accuracy of the sources and the methods used.
                        Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Steve,

Pierre
                          "La verite historique est souvent une fable convene."

Comment

"La verite historique est souvent une fable convene."
                            I didn't know that you could speak Welsh John
                            Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Lets see , the sources are important correct?

Do those sources suggest that a named individual was the Whitechapel murder? apparently yes.

Do you accept those sources are accurate? apparently so.

Do you, having analyzed all the data, consider the result, the report to be valid?

Assuming your answer to the last question is correct or yes, then we must conclude that the person who will be named in the report is in your analysis likely to be the killer.

In the normal usage of the term in this field Ripper studies, and that is the field you are currently working in, a report or book which gives a name for the killer is referred to as a SUSPECT BOOK, you may not like such a term, and I have issues with it myself; However that is the reality of the field you are writing in.

And that really is my last word .

Steve
                              Hi Steve,

No, I am writing in the field of history. That is an existing field but ripperology is not a field. It is a small space in literature.

Cheers, Pierre

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
                                'The sources are more important than the "result."

Hypothetically speaking, if the police force had the choice of 2 outcomes which would they choose?:

a) an investigation where every piece of information that they had was meticulously sourced but they didn't catch the killer,

Or,

b) an investigation where they checked their sources but also used phrases like 'what if...' or 'maybe....' or 'I wonder if it's possible that...' and they went on to catch the killer?

I believe that there is more to an investigation than just the accuracy of the sources and the methods used.
                                This is not a police investigation.

And the result, both for the police and for historians, can not be "what if" or "is it possible".

Those are questions that both historians and police investigators ask BEFORE they have a result or what you call an outcome.

Pierre

Comment

Working...
                                X