X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mock trial for Bury Feb 3

Hi all

Interesting article

Mock trial to examine the case against Bury for Dan Snow's History Channel TV show.

Evidence against a man who made claims he was notorious serial killer Jack the Ripper will be re-examined in court — almost 130 years after he was hanged. William Bury became the last man han…

An article from the University of Dundee here too
    Sorry, we can’t find the page you were looking for. It may have moved or you may have followed an out of date or incorrect link.

Comment

“I’m him all right and if you go along to my house in Princes Street, you’ll find the body of a woman packed up in a box and cut up.”
      Bury never said that, did he? He never actually confessed to being the Ripper (putting the graffiti aside), he said he was worried of being suspected as the Ripper.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry D View Post
        Bury never said that, did he? He never actually confessed to being the Ripper (putting the graffiti aside), he said he was worried of being suspected as the Ripper.
        But Harry considering the Graffiti was clearly written by Bury or his wife. He's either confessed to it or his wife has labelled him The Ripper ergo Bury was Jack. Cheers

Comment

Perhaps she wrote the graffiti as a parting insult before hanging herself, fitting him up as an act of post-mortem revenge?
          Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
            Perhaps she wrote the graffiti as a parting insult before hanging herself, fitting him up as an act of post-mortem revenge?
            If Ellen was semi-literate, that might explain the "Jack Ripper" misspelling.

Comment

Not very plausible Sam

Comment

Originally posted by John Wheat View Post
                Not very plausible Sam
                Can't see why not, except Inasmuch as accepting the possibility would require one to drop the idea that Bury was a proven killer. I realise that this could be problematic for some
                Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Indeed. I thought so as well.
                  Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

If the letter Bury wrote in which he confessed to murdering Ellen is admitted into evidence, I don't give him much of a chance.
                    “When a major serial killer case is finally solved and all the paperwork completed, police are sometimes amazed at how obvious the killer was and how they were unable to see what was right before their noses.” —Robert D. Keppel and William J. Birnes, The Psychology of Serial Killer Investigations

William Bury, Victorian Murderer
                    http://www.williambury.org

Comment

Bury did tell the police that Ellen's body was in the trunk, but the article incorrectly states that Bury told the police he was Jack the Ripper. At Bury's trial, Parr testified that Bury told him he feared being apprehended as the Ripper, not that he actually was the Ripper.
                      “When a major serial killer case is finally solved and all the paperwork completed, police are sometimes amazed at how obvious the killer was and how they were unable to see what was right before their noses.” —Robert D. Keppel and William J. Birnes, The Psychology of Serial Killer Investigations

Comment

if the graffiti was there, I'm more inclined to think the neighborhood kids wrote it.
                        "Is all that we see or seem
                        but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
                        quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

I don't think Ellen is plausible candidate for having chalked the graffiti at the back of the residence. If she wanted to tell the world her husband was the Ripper, all she had to do was walk into a police station in Dundee and report him while Bury was off drinking in a pub somewhere. Also, she would only have needed to chalk one message, not two, to accomplish her aim. Finally, Ellen could barely write and it's not believable that she would even have been able to chalk the messages in the two different hands that we see in the messages.

Comment

Can't see why not, except Inasmuch as accepting the possibility would require one to drop the idea that Bury was a proven killer. I realise that this could be problematic for some
                            It's a ludicrous scenario Sam. I suppose you're also saying Ellen stabbed herself and put herself in the box.

Comment

Originally posted by John Wheat View Post
                              It's a ludicrous scenario Sam.
                              She had an abusive drunk for a husband, who'd uprooted her and taken her to Dundee on false pretences, so it's entirely possible she'd had enough.
                              I suppose you're also saying Ellen stabbed herself and put herself in the box.
                              Not at all, Jon. Instead, is it not possible that William came home sozzled, found her dead, and freaked out?
                              Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Working...
                              X