Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1881 census

Hello all,

A little snippet to back up the Daniel Kosminsky, hairdresser slot..

1881 census.

Daniel Kosminsky
    Estimated Birth Year: abt 1854
    Relation: Head
    Spouse's Name: Rosa Kosminsky
    Where born: Poland

Civil parish: Hamlet
    County/Island: London

Street Address: 10 Bromehead St.
    Condition as to marriage: Married
    Education:

Employment status:

Registration district: Mile End Old Town
    Sub-registration district: Mile End Old Town, Western
    Last edited by Phil Carter; 04-08-2013, 03:44 PM.
    Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
    Accountability? ....

Comment

Thanks for that Phil,

Originally posted by Phil Carter View Post
      ... wasn't there a policeman in his memoirs who talked of watching a man in his shop (?Aldgate) and following him to other shops?

Speculation has been made as to whether Aaron Kosminski was the man the police were referring to, but falls down by the fact that he didn't have a shop?
      Henry Cox of the City police said he watched a man. Robert Sagar told of watching a man in Butchers Row, that's by Aldgate.

No Aaron Kosminski didn't have his own shop as far as I know. My purpose here was first to look at hairdressers in the East End, to get a feel for the subject, and next to simply see if any Jewish hairdresser shops were listed, which yes they were. And could these have been where Aaron was employed. And yes they could have, the shop of Louis Best, Silverstone, Geduld, or even Daniel Kosminski. When he was working. Because Jacob Cohen said in 1891 that Aaron 'had not attempted any work in years' So mid-1880's.

By the way, in 1895 Daniel Kosminski hairdresser was doing business at a new location west -

Click image for larger version

Name:	K95.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	664891
      Last edited by Roy Corduroy; 04-11-2013, 02:22 AM.
      Sink the Bismark

Comment

a little snippet extra

Hello Roy,

Thanks for that.

I refer, interestingly, to the Casebook dissertation by Scott Nelson, entitled
        Jewish Witness Connection: Some Further Speculations,

shown here:-

where it states, in part, the following:-

Of the other possible candidates for Kosminski’s ‘brother,’ one is Daniel Kosminski, a hairdresser like Aaron. Daniel and his wife, Rosa, had come to London prior to 1881. In the 1881 census, Daniel and Rosa Kosminski were living on Bromehead Street in Stepney, before moving within the City of London borough at no. 102 Houndsditch from 1886 to 1890. Daniel and his family left these premises after 1890, when they appear in the 1891 census at Upper Baker Street, Marylebone, close to another hairdresser, George Kosminski, who lived on Strafford Street, and to Martin Kosminski, who lived at 48 Berners Street. The prior Houndsditch location is interesting because it was approximately halfway between Mitre Square and the Wentworth Model Dwellings at no. 108–119 on Goulston Street, where a piece of Eddowes’ apron was dropped by the killer. If the Ripper had fled east from Mitre Square in order to clean up or store the victim’s organs at his residence, he may have returned to the streets and continued walking east to deposit the apron, and thereby create a false trail by doubling back to his house.

(my emphasis and underlining)

Phil
        Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

Hello Roy,

Thanks for that.

I refer, interestingly, to the Casebook dissertation by Scott Nelson, entitled
          Jewish Witness Connection: Some Further Speculations,

shown here:-

where it states, in part, the following:-

Of the other possible candidates for Kosminski’s ‘brother,’ one is Daniel Kosminski, a hairdresser like Aaron. Daniel and his wife, Rosa, had come to London prior to 1881. In the 1881 census, Daniel and Rosa Kosminski were living on Bromehead Street in Stepney, before moving within the City of London borough at no. 102 Houndsditch from 1886 to 1890. Daniel and his family left these premises after 1890, when they appear in the 1891 census at Upper Baker Street, Marylebone, close to another hairdresser, George Kosminski, who lived on Strafford Street, and to Martin Kosminski, who lived at 48 Berners Street. The prior Houndsditch location is interesting because it was approximately halfway between Mitre Square and the Wentworth Model Dwellings at no. 108–119 on Goulston Street, where a piece of Eddowes’ apron was dropped by the killer. If the Ripper had fled east from Mitre Square in order to clean up or store the victim’s organs at his residence, he may have returned to the streets and continued walking east to deposit the apron, and thereby create a false trail by doubling back to his house.

(my emphasis and underlining)

Phil
          Hello all,

Here's a shortened list of Kozminski's in the 1911 census which I also find interesting..please note the place where they were living.

KOZMINSKI DANIEL M 1858 53 Brighton Sussex

KOZMINSKI ROSIE F 1859 52 Brighton Sussex

In the 1881 census, Daniel and Rosa Kosminski were living, I believe, in Bromehead Street in Stepney, before they moved to within the City of London. Their addie then was 102, Houndsditch from 1886 to 1890. Daniel and Rosa left these premises after 1890. They appear in the 1891 census living in 8, Upper Baker Street, Marylebone, I believe

Makes you ponder, doesn't it.

Phil
          Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

There was also a Gabriel Kozminski hairdresser.

Comment

Stepney Green

Well Robert, you know what they say - better Gooned than Mooned And yes Phil, I agree, Scott doesn't miss a beat. Brighton, I see. Thank you.

Name:	shipPubStepneyGr.jpg
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	664915

Name:	ST84.jpg
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	664916

Francis Comber and wife Theresa were born in Ireland. Two sons and three daughters born local.
              Last edited by Roy Corduroy; 04-19-2013, 09:38 PM.
              Sink the Bismark

Comment

Hello Roy,

A final follow up, with thanks to Robert, the old seadog for his help...

Daniel and Rosa/Rose/Rosie emigrated to Australia in 1924 and settled in Melbourne. At one time, in a suburb called Batman...lol

Neither Robert or myself can find any offspring from this couple. Daniel was still alive in 1931, at least, and possibly Rose in 1936, though the registration from 1936 shows a husband called Barnett Kozminsky..yes..Barnett.

This may well be another couple though.

Phil
                Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

Daniel and Rosa/Rose/Rosie emigrated to Australia in 1924 and settled in Melbourne. At one time, in a suburb called Batman...lol

Neither Robert or myself can find any offspring from this couple. Daniel was still alive in 1931, at least, and possibly Rose in 1936, though the registration from 1936 shows a husband called Barnett Kozminsky..yes..Barnett.

This may well be another couple though.
                  I have noted deaths for Rosie Kozminsky, aged 81, at Carlton in 1931 and Danl Kozminsky, aged 69, at S Kilda in 1932 (from http://www.bdm.vic.gov.au/home/famil...l+index+online ).

The ages are a bit out (quite a bit in Rosie's case), but I think these are the right people.

Comment

Hello Chris,

Many thanks for these. Most kind of you.

The ages are a problem, from sure..I believe from the previous census material that Daniel is listed as being born 1858..meaning that he would have been 74 when he died in 1932, as opposed to 69, and Rosie 72 in 1931.

Carlton, a suburb of Melbourne, Victoria, fits exactly though... the addie in 1924 in Australia is 89 Elgin St, Carlton South, Melbourne.

I can't find any viable alternatives to these two though, so I think you must be right.

Many thanks again

Phil
                    Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

Ahem! Phil, I didn't say they emigrated in 1924, just that they were in Oz in 1924. They weren't at Batman - that was Barnett and Rosie, who are listed there in 1924 while Daniel and Rosie are listed in turn at their address in 1924. Daniel may well have been alive in 1931 - there is a Daniel and Rosie for that year, but Daniel is a chiropodist. The 1924 Daniel had been a hairdresser. Nevertheless this could well be our man.

There is a cross through the 1911 census for children born. I took them to have made this mark but I suppose it could have been the enumerator. Given that Rosie was 52, if there were children, they must have been born previously.

Comment

Thanks for that info Chris.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                          Ahem! Phil, I didn't say they emigrated in 1924, just that they were in Oz in 1924.
                          Yes; there's a record in a passenger list for a voyage from London to Melbourne in November 1919 (Mr D. and Mrs R. Kozminski).

Comment

Great stuff. On a humorous note : guess where Phil can get a makeover in Brighton.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                              Great stuff. On a humorous note : guess where Phil can get a makeover in Brighton.

http://www.sphairandbeauty.co.uk/location.htm
                              Hello Robert, Chris,

Thanks for the corrected update..appreciated.

Robert.. I am WAAAAAAY past a makeover. The Phantom of the Opera has a better chance of improvement than me. LOL

Phil
                              Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

Working...
                              X