JtRmap FORM << Use this form to make suggestions for map annotations
    ---------------------------------------------------
    JtR3d.com << JtR 3D & #VR Website

I stopped watching after season 2.

Did it manage to get worse?

--Erynn

Comment

Granted, the plots have left the realms of believability but it's still a great show. There's another series to go when I think they should have called it a day after last week's final but I'm looking forward to one last series.
      JtRmap.com<< JtR Interactive Map

Comment

I may have just gotten bored with it, honestly. I think I saw something about it the other day and thought about trying it out again. I did so enjoy the first season.

Comment

I have loved the series... all of them... I am sad there is only one to go (and I'm not so sure that will ever get made....) granted the 1st series was the best...but it is the only show I watch...that's true.. I watch a lot of classic TV and films and sports, but no series other than Ripper Street....

Steadmund Brand
          "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

I love it. The actors.the script, the storyline, the dialogue.The way they weave actual events into the script and play with them. The ending of series 4 was a shocker did not see that coming.

Miss Marple

Comment

Just watched interesting documentry on Iplayer ( I am in England)

It can be watched at the moment but not sure how long for.
              Timewatch - Shadow of the Ripper
              Christopher Frayling unravels the circumstances which turned a killer into a Gothic hero he asks: is it time to lay the ghosts of 1888 to rest? (1988)

Pat.....

Comment

Originally posted by Steadmund Brand View Post
                I have loved the series... all of them... I am sad there is only one to go (and I'm not so sure that will ever get made....) granted the 1st series was the best...but it is the only show I watch...that's true.. I watch a lot of classic TV and films and sports, but no series other than Ripper Street....

Steadmund Brand
                Hi SB,

Seems the last series has already been made and will be shown on British tv next year.

Great stuff!

My only problem is with the unrealistic dialogue. Apparently the idea was to go through newspapers and Old Bailey records of the time, which would explain a lot, as this would have been as far from natural everyday conversation as it is possible to get. The dialogue was inspired by these written sources and adapted to come up with a supposedly credible vernacular, but for me there are too many duff notes which jar, distracting me a little from the acting and storylines.

Love,

Caz
                X
                Last edited by caz; 10-18-2016, 03:43 AM.
                "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

Thanks CAZ.. that is great news...

As for the dialog, remember I'm a Yank...I am use to watching unrealistic British dialog.... I will say though... they have nailed Jackson's speech....it is quite American... with the only complaint being he does use a few 20th century slang terms... but I can over look that..

I wonder what year the last series will be set.... they seem to advance years in a good pace...who knows... maybe Houdini can make an appearance in the last season....escape from Reid's jail....hahaha

Steadmund Brand
                  "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

"I wonder what year the last series will be set"
                    I know the last episode 75 min finale takes us to 1899.
                    JtRmap.com<< JtR Interactive Map

Comment

Originally posted by Steadmund Brand View Post
                      Thanks CAZ.. that is great news...

As for the dialog, remember I'm a Yank...I am use to watching unrealistic British dialog.... I will say though... they have nailed Jackson's speech....it is quite American... with the only complaint being he does use a few 20th century slang terms... but I can over look that..

Steadmund Brand
                      Hi SB,

Oh the accents all sound okay, as far as we could really know today. Not too many examples of the spoken voice from that period will have survived, I imagine. But all four of my grandparents were born in the late 1870s so that's only two generations back for me, and not that much difference in our London accents.

However, 20th century slang (if I recognised it) and the much older, formal turns of phrase (which I do recognise), seem equally out of place. I can overlook it too, although I thought I heard Drake say "God's teeth!" or "Odds teeth" at one point, and I was just waiting for Reid to come out with "Odds bodkins" or "Zounds!".

Love,

Caz
                      X
                      "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

I watched season 5 today. 6 episodes.
                        Apparently this was the final season.
                        It did get quite convoluted further in with plenty of suspension of disbelief needed. As do nigh on all series that have so many seasons. The only way to try to avoid that convolution would be if a series' producers could write every episode at the start. That just doesn't happen with TV these days.
                        These are not clues, Fred.
                        It is not yarn leading us to the dark heart of this place.
                        They are half-glimpsed imaginings, tangle of shadows.
                        And you and I floundering at them in the ever vainer hope that we might corral them into meaning when we will not.
                        We will not.

Comment

I have seen most of Series 4-- except, it seems, the final episode. (I suspect BBCA either failed to air it here, or we somehow missed it, but the last I remember is Drake's wife screaming when she sees the supposedly-dead consort of Dr. Jackson staring in at their baby in Drake's home.)

This left me quite confused when we began watching Series 5, which is currently airing here. I'm not sure what to make of our heroes on the lam (as American gangsters used to say), the secret of the man in the locked-up cellar-room discovered, Reid's daughter distanced from him, and that slimeball in charge of H Division. And the dude with the brother who gets "urges" to kill, so they've isolated him in a cottage on the moors. Weird.
                          Still a pretty interesting show, though (even though I think I'm missing something...)
                          Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
                          ---------------
                          Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                          ---------------

Comment

Working...
                          X