Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Main
   

Introduction
Victims
Suspects
Witnesses
Ripper Letters
Police Officials
Official Documents
Press Reports
Victorian London
Message Boards
Ripper Media
Authors
Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Doctors and Coroners: Eddowes' gut cut - by Sam Flynn 1 hour and 6 minutes ago.
Shades of Whitechapel: Dennis Nilsen - by Sam Flynn 1 hour and 12 minutes ago.
Doctors and Coroners: Eddowes' gut cut - by Trevor Marriott 1 hour and 15 minutes ago.
Shades of Whitechapel: Dennis Nilsen - by Darryl Kenyon 3 hours ago.
Doctors and Coroners: Eddowes' gut cut - by Wickerman 5 hours ago.
Shades of Whitechapel: Dennis Nilsen - by Pcdunn 5 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
General Suspect Discussion: Favorite suspect/s? - (9 posts)
Shades of Whitechapel: Dennis Nilsen - (7 posts)
Doctors and Coroners: Eddowes' gut cut - (6 posts)
General Discussion: Do you think it will be solved? - (3 posts)
Rippercast: False Flag: Jack The Ripper with author Stephen Senise - (1 posts)
Bury, W.H.: "...but because you are going to hang me you will get nothing out of me..." - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Edit: Chris
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Edit: Chris
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Edit: Chris
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Letters and Communications > Goulston Street Graffito

View Poll Results: Did Jack write the GSG?
YES 78 39.39%
NO 120 60.61%
Voters: 198. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #2551  
Old 10-08-2017, 05:36 AM
Fisherman Fisherman is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 16,616
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
Thanks for that Fish.

Is there a better book on the subject?
Not really, no. Michael Gordons book "The Thames Torso Murders of Victorian London" is about the same, qualitywise. He makes - as I believe - the whopper of a mistake to cast George Chapman as the combined Torso man/Ripper (whereas Trow tells us that if there is one certainty, that is that the Ripper and the Torso man were different killers...), and so he needs to dump the 1873-74 torsos and he brings on the Salamanca torso of 1902 instead. That torso was nothng at all like the Thames Torso killers work, it was crude and simple.

To get a good understanding, search the boards here and on JTR for material. Rob Clacks article on the Whitehall torso in Ripperologist has also won much acclaim.

This discussion has been moved by the way, to a thread of itīs own under Motive method and madness: Same motive=same killer
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #2552  
Old 10-08-2017, 05:39 AM
Fisherman Fisherman is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 16,616
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby Normal View Post
good post fish

also both the torso man and ripper apparently stopped at roughly the same time-fall1889.

chew on that a little bit.
And it can be argued that both men wound down a bit, with the less intense murders of MacKenzie and the Pinchin Street victim. Anyways, the discussion has been moved to Motive, method and madness: Same motive=same killer (which is a bit of a rash title...)
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #2553  
Old 10-08-2017, 05:44 AM
John G John G is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 4,287
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby Normal View Post
wrong, wrong wrong..oh no here we go
No I'm not wrong. Where's the proof that any if the victims were murdered? Do you still believe that the Torso perpetrator were the same killer because they used the same knife?

Last edited by John G : 10-08-2017 at 05:52 AM.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #2554  
Old 10-08-2017, 05:51 AM
John G John G is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 4,287
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post
The Rainham torso and Liz Jackson both had their abdomens opened up all the way down and the Pinchin Street torso had a wound stretching from two inches below the sternum down into the vagina. It was fifteen inches.
I'll answer this in more detail when I have the time. However, The cut inflicted on the Pinchin Torso was relatively minor in character and there is was no suggestion that any injuries inflicted on the Rainham Torso was for anything other than disposal of the body. It certainly wasn't for the purpose of removing organs as all the pelvic organs, as well as liver and kidney, were discovered with the other remains.

Last edited by John G : 10-08-2017 at 05:58 AM.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #2555  
Old 10-08-2017, 05:57 AM
John G John G is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 4,287
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
Thanks for that Fish.

Is there a better book on the subject?
Trow's book is excellent and it is not full of errors.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #2556  
Old 10-08-2017, 06:00 AM
Fisherman Fisherman is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 16,616
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John G View Post
I'll answer this in more detail when I have the time. However, The cut inflicted on the Pinchin Torso was relatively minor on character and there is was no suggestion that any injuries inflicted on the Rainham Torso was for anything other than disposal of the body. It certainly wasn't for the purpose of removing organs as all the pelvic organs, as well as liver and kidney, were discovered with the other remains.
Could I please ask you to jump over to "Motives, method and madness: Same motive=same killer". The discussion has been moved there.

In short: The Pinchins Street torsoīs wound to the abdomen was not inferior in the context we are discussing. It stretched from two inches below the ribcage into the vagina.

There is absolutely no reason to cut the abdomen open to dispose of a body, John, speaking about the Rainham case. And either way, that was not the question here - it was whether there were wounds from ribcage to pubes in the torso series. Plus, of course most of the colon was "removed" in that case, so you are wrong in saying that the pelvic organs were all present. And the heart and lungs were gone too.

See you on the other thread!
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #2557  
Old 10-08-2017, 06:03 AM
John G John G is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 4,287
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post
There are no vastly different signatures. They are the same in both cases.

There are differences inbetween ALL victims. Kelly differes from Stride, who differs from Nichols, who differs from Jackson, who differs from Eddowes, who differs from... Itīs the amount of likenesses that cannot be a sheer coincidence. Like I said, which other town has had two serialist eviscerators simulataneously? Ever?

When did I ever say that dismemberment killers cannot inflict abdominal injuries, John? Or even hint at it? Why would yo suggest such a thing, when it has no basis in reality? I know quite well that they can - I effectively argue that the Torso killer was just such a man!!

You have no idea why I include the 1873 victim? Okey, here goes:

Victim killed in direct or nearly direct connection with the body being cut up - as in all the other torso cases.

Victim not subjected to sadism - abductors are very often sadists who want time and a victim on their hands in a secluded surrounding. This killer was not of that type. No torture can be discerned on any of the torso victims.

The cutting work on the 1873 torso was neat and clean.

The limbs had been neatly cut open and disarticulated - just like in the other cases.

FInally, there is another factor that I have hinted at many times. It ties the cases very closely together, revealing the common inspiration ground. This factor I will not give up, and so you have to trust me about it.
Where the evidence that dismemberers are prone to sadism? I have no idea what you mean by the direct connection argument.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #2558  
Old 10-08-2017, 06:03 AM
Fisherman Fisherman is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 16,616
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John G View Post
Trow's book is excellent and it is not full of errors.
For starters, he missed out on one part of the Rainham victim, John. I am not saying that the book is "full of errors" - I am saying that these kinds of bad errors are there, and they lower the quality of the book.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #2559  
Old 10-08-2017, 06:04 AM
John G John G is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 4,287
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post
Could I please ask you to jump over to "Motives, method and madness: Same motive=same killer". The discussion has been moved there.

In short: The Pinchins Street torsoīs wound to the abdomen was not inferior in the context we are discussing. It stretched from two inches below the ribcage into the vagina.

There is absolutely no reason to cut the abdomen open to dispose of a body, John, speaking about the Rainham case. And either way, that was not the question here - it was whether there were wounds from ribcage to pubes in the torso series. Plus, of course most of the colon was "removed" in that case, so you are wrong in saying that the pelvic organs were all present. And the heart and lungs were gone too.

See you on the other thread!
Okay, see you on the other thread.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #2560  
Old 10-08-2017, 06:04 AM
Fisherman Fisherman is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 16,616
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John G View Post
Where the evidence that dismemberers are prone to sadism? I have no idea what you mean by the direct connection argument.
Discussion moved.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.