Casebook Examiner No. 3 (August 2010)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Casebook Examiner No. 3 (August 2010)

Another issue of Casebook Examiner is about to brighten Internet mailboxes around the globe and this issue promises to continue the excitement. Subscribers look for Issue 3 to hit your inbox on August 15.

In what should prove a controversial essay, author John Malcolm challenges the conclusions of Philip Sugden with what he feels is a long-needed re-examination of that writer’s handling of the evidence in regard to Aaron Kosminski.

Jonathan Simons provides a fascinating mortuary timeline that tracks the events for seven victims from the moment of their death until their interment. This is the sort of information most researchers will want to print out and preserve.

Adam Went takes a new look at a “forgotten” maritime disaster, the sinking of the S.S. Princess Alice. In the process he examines the possible loss of Elizabeth Stride’s family and also uncovers a new connection between the tragedy and the Ripper murders.

Finally, the first two of Jabez Balfour’s four 1906 “Crimson Crimes” essays from the Weekly Dispatch are faithfully reprinted. These rarely seen articles are fascinating period pieces and raise a few new players, like “German Maggie” and “Widow Annie.”

Moreover, there are the usual regular features like our reviews of books about JtR, true crime and social history; Stewart P. Evans’ “Collectors Corner;” Don Souden’s column on detective fiction, and up-to-the-minute news in the field provided by “On the Case” and “Extra.” This issue “CSI: Whitechapel” looks at the Stride murder and “Casebook Archives” focuses on Frances Coles. Meanwhile, Trevor N. Bond conducts this issue’s Ultimate Tour, taking readers from Pimlico to Lambeth and ultimately Southwark. Finally, as ever, Robert Clack brings the issue to a finish with another of his always interesting “Scenes of Crime” photo essays.

If you have not already subscribed to Casebook Examiner and don’t want to miss this latest issue you may get full information here: www.casebook.org/examiner.

Sounds like some exciting stuff. But what about part 3 of RJ Palmer's series?

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Tom,

Thanks for your interest. Unfortunately, the concluding part of R.J. Palmer's article about Walter Andrews and Tumblety was unavoidably delayed but will definitely appear in issue No. 4 (October).

Don Souden
      Editor, Casebook Examiner.
      "To expose [the Senator] is rather like performing acts of charity among the deserving poor; it needs to be done and it makes one feel good, but it does nothing to end the problem."

Comment

Jon Simons' article in particular sounds great. He was very helpful with the Princess Alice article as well, so shall look forward to it.

Cheers,
        Adam.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	issue3cover600.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	660056

Dear Subscribers and Premium Members,

Issue 3 should be arriving in your inbox now. We hope that you enjoy it!

Comment

Originally posted by Casebook Examiner View Post
            Adam Went takes a new look at a “forgotten” maritime disaster, the sinking of the S.S. Princess Alice. In the process he examines the possible loss of Elizabeth Stride’s family and also uncovers a new connection between the tragedy and the Ripper murders.
            No offense intended, but this should read "reminds us of the connection" regarding Joseph Martin, as Robert J McLaughlin's The First Jack the Ripper Victim Photographs reprinted the 'Fifty Years a Corpse Photographer' article and he wrote about Martin's brush with the Princess Alice in some detail.

I am thoroughly enjoying this issue and my appreciation goes out to all involved.

JM

Comment

Dyslexia strikes again!

Hi all,

I have a mild form of Dyslexia which is, more often than not, a cause of some frustration to me. However, it does occasionally give me cause to have a damn good laugh at myself! When I first saw the front page of the Examiner No.3, I could have sworn that the title read "ARSE"!!! Images flashed through my mind of "Sir Robert Andersons Arse Disaster On The Thames"!!! and us being asked for our objectivity, and to remember the forgotten hundreds!!!

Best wishes,

Zodiac.
              And thus I clothe my naked villainy
              With old odd ends, stol'n forth of holy writ;
              And seem a saint, when most I play the devil.

Comment

I enjoyed that Zodiac!

Comment

Oh my god, Zodiac, you should be ashamed of yourself! Such irreverence! I'm having a fit of hysterical laughter right now.
                  (By the way, I can understand how your “dyslexia“ was enhanced by the artistic use of tie-dye-like colour in the headers.)
                  I'm looking forward to reading Examiner 3, while I'm currently still going through Supe's piece on Sherlock Holmes in Examiner 2 (instead of doing work).
                  Best regards,
                  Maria

Comment

Zodiac,

Quite co-incidentally, I made a very similar comment on my Facebook status update today:

"Notice how, if you glance very quickly at the headline story on the front cover, it looks like it says "ARSE!".

Great minds think alike apparently!

Just started perusing issue three, and it looks like I'm in for a very enjoyable read.

All the best
                    Andrew

Comment

Arse!!!

Originally posted by Andrew Firth View Post
                      Zodiac,

Quite co-incidentally, I made a very similar comment on my Facebook status update today:

"Notice how, if you glance very quickly at the headline story on the front cover, it looks like it says "ARSE!".

Great minds think alike apparently!

Just started perusing issue three, and it looks like I'm in for a very enjoyable read.

All the best
                      Andrew
                      Hi Andrew,

Great Yorkshire minds too!!!

Best wishes,

Zodiac.
                      And thus I clothe my naked villainy
                      With old odd ends, stol'n forth of holy writ;
                      And seem a saint, when most I play the devil.

Comment

Disappointed RJ Palmer"s article is delayed.Still we can"t very well tell you to "hurry up" can we Roger?

Actually quite impressed by John"s critique of Philip Sugden"s brilliant book .Must say though that Sugden is my all time favourite writer-well he comes joint first with Stewart Evans - but perhaps his book does need a bit of updating now.However, I believe Sugden"s theory on Klosowski still holds good and his overall assessment of Anderson is spot on.But an enjoyable read and well argued John!

Comment

Originally posted by Natalie Severn View Post
                          But an enjoyable read and well argued John!
                          Yes - though it was a bit too anti-Sugden for my taste.

And I hate to say it, but the illustration showed the wrong Seaside Home (not that I'm convinced Clarendon Villas is necessarily the right one) ...

Comment

Sugden may very well be "spot on" about his assessment of Anderson, I just thought he went too far out of his way to drive his opinions home. No doubt Sir Robert was a controversial figure on more than one front, but I think there is much more to his "Polish Jew Theory" than simply "addle-headed nonsense." As a self-confessed "Andersonite" I doubt I'll ever be able to claim true objectivity, so naturally I've had to exaggerate a bit to get my points across. We can agree to disagree about these issues, we just need to keep talking.

Comment

Chris,
                              The tone of the article, no matter how much I tried to temper it, is indeed a bit too negative; I mentioned earlier today to a good friend that I equate it to coughing up a hairball...unpleasant in itself, but a relief to have out of my system.

Comment

Working...
                              X