Swallow Gardens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi all.

The photo in the book was taken by our very own Septic Colin when he was on one of his UK jaunts. He turned up and miraculously found the place open. I'm sure he can fill you in, but the guy was fine with him taking a photo and had no interest whatsoever when Colin told him why his lock-up was important (can you imagine that? I mean, even not the least flicker of interest that your place was a famous Victorian murder scene?)

Both Rob and myself have taken shots through the letterbox of the interior (cue Monty with anti-Rob 'lens cap' pun) but there's not much to see.

In fact, I think it VERY unlikely the murder spot is as far as 55 feet in as Bulldog suggests as that would make it the majority of the way through it, wouldn't it? It looks on the sketches like it's a third of the way in, maybe about 20 feet. I reckon, on Colin's photo that we used, that would make it about level with the wooden booth and on the spot of the left-hand tyre marks.

I'd put Colin's photo up myself, but it's not mine to do so without his say-so. I know he'll say OK but nevertheless...

Just call me Scruples McHutchinson.

PHILIP
    Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

Originally posted by George Hutchinson View Post

In fact, I think it VERY unlikely the murder spot is as far as 55 feet in as Bulldog suggests as that would make it the majority of the way through it, wouldn't it? It looks on the sketches like it's a third of the way in, maybe about 20 feet. I reckon, on Colin's photo that we used, that would make it about level with the wooden booth and on the spot of the left-hand tyre marks.

Hi Philip,

Frances Coles's body was found just over 1/3 of the way into Swallow Gardens with her head towards Chamber Street and her feet pointing at an angle toward Royal Mint Street.

I've never been inside the archway. I used my estimate of 55 feet based on contemporary accounts that described Swallow Gardens as being from somewhat more than 40 yards in length to 50 yards in length:

The Eastern Post & City Chronicle
      Saturday, 14 February 1891

The arch, which was the actual theatre of the crime, is about fifty yards in length, and while fairly lighted at each end by lamps, the centre remains in deep shade. It was in the centre, where the shadow lies deepest, that the deed was committed. One side of the archway is walled up by a hoarding, the space enclosed being used as a builder's store.

The Times
      Saturday, 14 February 1891

The archway, which is some 50 yards in length, is lighted at each end by lamps, and consequently, at those spots, is fairly well lighted, while the central part is totally dark.

The Times
      Monday, 16 February 1891
      (Reporting on the testimony of Police Constable Ernest Thompson)

“At that time I did not know the place was known by the name of Swallow-gardens, but I have heard so since. The roadway under the arch is partially taken away and boarded up from the crown of the arch to the ground. What remains is a roadway, enabling one cart to pass at a time. I should say the length of the arch is something over 40 yards.”

Insp. Flanagan also reported (13 February 1891) that he found the 2 shillings about 18 yards from the body. I have always assumed that he meant 18 yards further into the archway from where the body was found, but that was just an assumption. I suppose the money could have been found closer to Chamber Street.

Constable Frederick Hart, testifying at the inquest, was asked by a juryman if he would be able to see a body in the center of the arch if he were standing outside, at the end of the arch. Hart said "not from Royal Mint Street."

It's hard to believe that two reporters and a police constable who spent some time at the scene could be that far off in their estimate of the the length of the arch. Perhaps some day someone will get to measure the length of Swallow Gardens.

Regards,

Bulldog

Comment

this not a thread about the Coles murder of course, but as you just mentioned the complete darkness in the middle of the tunnel, would her killer not have had enourmous difficulty to cut her throat when he saw virtually nothing...and how did he make sure he had her in his grasp and she would not be able to escape?
        In heaven I am a wild ox
        On earth I am a lion
        A jester from hell and shadows almighty
        The scientist of darkness
        Older than the constellations
        The mysterious jinx and the error in heaven's masterplan

Comment

Originally posted by George Hutchinson View Post
          ... the guy was fine with him taking a photo and had no interest whatsoever when Colin told him why his lock-up was important ...
          That's correct, Philip !!! He was very polite and accommodative, but clearly indifferent.

Anyway;

Click image for larger version

Name:	8-24-08   1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	176.1 KB
ID:	654692
          Railway Arch, Which Occupies the Site of the Former Thoroughfare(s) "Swallow('s) Gardens", Chamber Street, St. Mary Whitechapel, February 2007
          interior, from north

Name:	8-24-08   2.jpg
Size:	182.5 KB
ID:	654693
          Railway Arch, Which Occupies the Site of the Former Thoroughfare(s) "Swallow('s) Gardens", Chamber Street, St. Mary Whitechapel, February 2007
          interior, from south

Name:	8-24-08   3.jpg
Size:	180.6 KB
ID:	654694
          Railway Arch, Which Occupies the Site of the Former Thoroughfare(s) "Swallow('s) Gardens", Royal Mint Street, St. Mary Whitechapel, February 2007
          from Little Prescot Street (west)
          (first closed arch)

Name:	8-24-08   4.jpg
Size:	189.8 KB
ID:	654695
          Railway Arch, Which Occupies the Site of the Former Thoroughfare(s) "Swallow('s) Gardens", Royal Mint Street, St. Mary Whitechapel, February 2007
          from Royal Mint Street (south)

Name:	8-24-08   5.jpg
Size:	264.1 KB
ID:	654696
          2006 Google Earth Aerial / 1894 OS Overlay

Name:	8-24-08   6.jpg
Size:	254.2 KB
ID:	654697
          2006 Google Earth Aerial / 1894 OS Overlay / Goad Fire Insurance Survey Overlay (depicts orientation of archway)

Name:	8-24-08   7.jpg
Size:	289.2 KB
ID:	654698
          2006 Google Earth Aerial
          Red:
          Railway Arch, Which Occupies the Site of the Former Thoroughfare(s) "Swallow('s) Gardens", Chamber Street / Royal Mint Street, St. Mary Whitechapel

According to Google Earth; the length of the archway is ~111 feet, 8 inches.

Colin

Name:	Septic Blue.gif
Views:	112
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	654699

Comment

Hi Colin,

Fabulous photos! Thanks for sharing them with us, and for your definitive answer as to the actual length of Swallow Gardens.

Hellrider,

Frances Coles was probably unconscious when her throat was cut. Here's an excerpt from Dr. G.B. Phillips testimony: "There was a complete absence of any struggle or even any movement from pain, but it may have arisen from the fact that the woman was insensible from concussion."

Bulldog

Comment

Hi Colin

The photo with the sea food van in view I take is Swallow Gardens. I can see the bricked up rear wall in this photograph, this wall fronts on to Royal Mint Street. What I can't fathom out are the widow arrangements in this photograph. I can see the single top window in the bricked up arch, but I can't make out the other four windows below this. Also the van seems to be too high up, that is nearly on a level with the top window.

When one looks at the photo of the bricked up arch taken from little Prescott Street, you can appreciate the height of the lone upper window from ground level, this dosn't seem to sit right in the van photo. Is it a simple matter of foreshortening? Or has the level of the former thoroughfare been raised?

all the best

Observer

Comment

Originally posted by sdreid View Post
                Due to the dearth of remaining "Ripper sites", I'd think this establishment could turn this into a tourist gold mine, I mean, what else do we have left? Maybe even put a little Ripper museum on site. Send all royalty checks to me fellows.
                You jest Stan, of course, but I must say that it's a shame that more people don't get to visit this spot as it's definitely the most atmospheric and creepiest of the WM sites. I for one wouldn't fancy walking alone down Chamber Street on a dark night. Here are a couple of photos showing most of the south side of the street. The first is a great shot from Rob Clack taken from the boxed in western end, with Swallow Gardens appearing to glow eerily on the left. The second is one of mine looking east with the entrance to Swallow Gardens on the right.

Name:	11Chamber_Street_looking_towards_Swallow_Gardens_Sunday_17_July_2005.jpg
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	654701

Name:	St George 008.jpg
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	654700
                allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

Hi Stephen

I'm even more confused now! It's difficult for someone who has not visited the site to appreciate the layout. In Septic's photo only two of the arches are bricked up, while in your photo albeit taken from the other side of the arches to Septic's in Chambers Street there are four bricked up arches. Can you explain?

all the best

Observer

Comment

much appreciate the photo's, they are a great boon to those of us who are unable to get to the sites

Observer

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Thomas View Post
                      You jest Stan, of course, but I must say that it's a shame that more people don't get to visit this spot as it's definitely the most atmospheric and creepiest of the WM sites. I for one wouldn't fancy walking alone down Chamber Street on a dark night.
                      Hi Stephen,

You're absolutely right about it being astmospheric and creepy. I didn't really enjoy walking down Chamber Street on a cloudy, dreary weekday afternoon. I was the only person there and it definitely felt somewhat strange.

Swallow Garden is, however, the best preserved Whitechapel Murder site. The only changes that have apparently taken place are the adding of electric lights and the removal of the wooden hoarding. It's too bad that there isn't some way for the public to gain access.

Maybe someday.....

Bulldog

Comment

Originally posted by Observer View Post
                        I can see the single top window in the bricked up arch, but I can't make out the other four windows below this. Also the van seems to be too high up ...

Is it a simple matter of foreshortening? Or has the level of the former thoroughfare been raised?
                        Hi Observer,

One of the lower windows can be seen beyond the van, to the left.

Name:	8-24-08   8.jpg
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	654702

I would venture to guess that the original ground-level surface is under one-to-two feet of concrete.

Colin Click image for larger version

Name:	Septic Blue.gif
Views:	112
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	654703
                        Last edited by Guest; 08-24-2008, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Hi Stephen,

I was not entirely jesting. It would seem that some money could be made showing the site after a bit of tidying. They have control of access with the door there.
                          Last edited by sdreid; 08-24-2008, 08:01 PM.
                          This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

Hi Colin

Yes I can make it out now, as you suggest the original floor has probably been raised by a few feet.

Thanks

Observer

Comment

Originally posted by Observer View Post
                              I'm even more confused now! It's difficult for someone who has not visited the site to appreciate the layout. In Septic's photo only two of the arches are bricked up, while in your photo albeit taken from the other side of the arches to Septic's in Chambers Street there are four bricked up arches. Can you explain?
                              Hi Observer

Yes. If you look again at Colin's photo from Royal Mint Street looking east (and the last map) you'll see that for some reason two arches are protruding from the line and thus the ones behind them can't be seen on the photo.

And that is indeed foreshortening on Colin's picture inside the arch (that man was born lucky). What you can see is one of the middle windows in the background, the end one being obscured by those white boxes.

How about this for East End Humour?

Name:	X1 EEL.jpg
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	654704
                              allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

Hi Stephen

Just had a good look at all the photo's, and maps, and can now appreciate the layout of Swallow Gardens and it's environs.

Love the registration number, there must be money to be made in the seafood trade.

all the best Observer

Comment

Working...
                                X