X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
    No need for charts, you're already spot on -
    The Star 8th Sept says;
    "Taylor says he has seen this man coming out of a lodging-house in Thrall-street. He thinks that he is a foreigner"

That said, I agree with Abby rhat he sounds more like he'd been in a street scuffle to me, rather than a crazed murderer. I think I'd have wild eyes if some stranger followed me down the street staring at me, especially if I'd perhaps been attacked earlier.
    The mention of him seeming to make up his mind where to head at the end of Brushfield St is intetesting - not far past Dirty Dick's is Bishopsgate police station. Could he have been headed there if he feared being attacked?
    Hi JR

Ripped shirt and blood on his hands.
    When found by police, Piggott had a ripped shirt and had been bitten on his hand.

Comment

• Said it before, but I love all these obscure press snippets full of conspicuous characters prowling about during the Ripper scare. And you've got to know that the real killer was among them.

Comment

• Originally posted by Harry D View Post
        Said it before, but I love all these obscure press snippets full of conspicuous characters prowling about during the Ripper scare. And you've got to know that the real killer was among them.
        agree Harry-which is why its so dam frustrating (and endlessly interesting).

Comment

• Originally posted by Jon Guy View Post
          Hi JR

Ripped shirt and blood on his hands.
          When found by police, Piggott had a ripped shirt and had been bitten on his hand.
          Quite. But they can't both have killed Chapman.
          If you're thinking they were one and the same person, Taylor described his man as 5'8" (although he did lose 10 years and gain a few pounds from one day to the next), whereas Piggott was much shorter and bearded.

Star 10th Sept;
          "The prisoner stands barely 5ft. high. He has a long dark beard, and he wears dark clothes. He is without a waistcoat, and there are several bloodstains on his clothes."

Comment

• Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
            Quite. But they can't both have killed Chapman.
            If you're thinking they were one and the same person, Taylor described his man as 5'8" (although he did lose 10 years and gain a few pounds from one day to the next), whereas Piggott was much shorter and bearded.

Star 10th Sept;
            "The prisoner stands barely 5ft. high. He has a long dark beard, and he wears dark clothes. He is without a waistcoat, and there are several bloodstains on his clothes."
            I need to find a more reliable description for Piggott (so I can compare it to the descriptions of the Clean House Man)
            I`m pretty sure Piggott was taller than 5ft.

Descriptions aside, Piggott admitted to have been bitten by a woman he was throwing about on Sat morning off Brick Lane.

Comment

I need to find a more reliable description for Piggott (so I can compare it to the descriptions of the Clean House Man)

Descriptions aside, Piggott admitted to have been bitten by a woman he was throwing about on Sat morning off Brick Lane.
              Hi Jon
              But wasn't Piggott not only cleared of being Fiddymonts man, but also of being the ripper (as he was incarcerated at the time of the other murders)?

Comment

• Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
                Hi Jon
                But wasn't Piggott not only cleared of being Fiddymonts man, but also of being the ripper (as he was incarcerated at the time of the other murders)?
                Hi Abby

Mrs Chappell thought he might have being Fiddymont`s man, but wasn`t sure.
                He was under supervision in the infirmary on the night of the double event.

Although, I agree that he doesn`t appear to be Fiddy`s man, he could be Mrs Long man.

Comment

Hi Abby

Mrs Chappell thought he might have being Fiddymont`s man, but wasn`t sure.
                  He was under supervision in the infirmary on the night of the double event.

Although, I agree that he doesn`t appear to be Fiddy`s man, he could be Mrs Long man.
                  thanks! so your saying he could be chapmans killer?

Comment

Hi Jon.

Could this help: Star, 10 Sep

he states that his name is William Henry Piggott, and that he is 52 years of age. He further said that some years ago he lived at Gravesend, his father having at one time held a position there connected with a friendly society. The man appears to be in a very nervous state. Detective-Sergeant Abberline has arrived at Gravesend from Scotland-yard.

Pigott was brought up this morning to London-bridge by the eighteen minutes past ten train, in charge of Detective Abberline, who was met at the station by Detective Stacy from Scotland-yard. The prisoner was not handcuffed, and was smoking a clay pipe and carrying a white cloth bundle. He passed quickly out of the station, no one among the public apparently noticing him, and was driven in a four-wheeled cab to the police-station in Commercial-street. He has not yet been charged.

The prisoner stands barely 5ft. high. He has a long dark beard, and he wears dark clothes. He is without a waistcoat, and there are several bloodstains on his clothes. Apparently he has been drinking heavily, his condition indicating a recent recovery from delirium tremens. He still maintains that his hand was bitten by a woman whom he knocked down. The prisoner is now locked up in the cells awaiting the arrival of witnesses with a view to identification.

And from the Star, 11 Sep:

This morning there are two men detained on suspicion in connection with the Whitechapel crimes. One is the man Piggott, arrested at Gravesend, and supposed to be the man who went into Fiddymont's public-house at seven on the morning of the murder with blood upon his hands. He was brought to Commercial-street Police Station yesterday afternoon, and placed among a number of other men taken from the street, in order that the builder Taylor, Mrs. Fiddymont, and Mrs. Chappell, the three people who saw the man with the blood-stained hands, might, if possible, identify the captured one. Taylor and Mrs. Fiddymont declared the man at the station not the one they saw, and Mrs. Chappell, though she picked the right man out, failed to positively identify him. This morning, however, Piggot was still in the infirmary recovering slowly from an attack of delirium tremens.

[my emphasis]
                    there,s nothing new, only the unexplored

Comment

• Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
                      thanks! so your saying he could be chapmans killer?
                      In my opinion, he`s the best known suspect for Chapman.

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert St Devil View Post
                        Hi Jon.

Could this help: Star, 10 Sep

he states that his name is William Henry Piggott, and that he is 52 years of age. He further said that some years ago he lived at Gravesend, his father having at one time held a position there connected with a friendly society. The man appears to be in a very nervous state. Detective-Sergeant Abberline has arrived at Gravesend from Scotland-yard.

Pigott was brought up this morning to London-bridge by the eighteen minutes past ten train, in charge of Detective Abberline, who was met at the station by Detective Stacy from Scotland-yard. The prisoner was not handcuffed, and was smoking a clay pipe and carrying a white cloth bundle. He passed quickly out of the station, no one among the public apparently noticing him, and was driven in a four-wheeled cab to the police-station in Commercial-street. He has not yet been charged.

The prisoner stands barely 5ft. high. He has a long dark beard, and he wears dark clothes. He is without a waistcoat, and there are several bloodstains on his clothes. Apparently he has been drinking heavily, his condition indicating a recent recovery from delirium tremens. He still maintains that his hand was bitten by a woman whom he knocked down. The prisoner is now locked up in the cells awaiting the arrival of witnesses with a view to identification.

And from the Star, 11 Sep:

This morning there are two men detained on suspicion in connection with the Whitechapel crimes. One is the man Piggott, arrested at Gravesend, and supposed to be the man who went into Fiddymont's public-house at seven on the morning of the murder with blood upon his hands. He was brought to Commercial-street Police Station yesterday afternoon, and placed among a number of other men taken from the street, in order that the builder Taylor, Mrs. Fiddymont, and Mrs. Chappell, the three people who saw the man with the blood-stained hands, might, if possible, identify the captured one. Taylor and Mrs. Fiddymont declared the man at the station not the one they saw, and Mrs. Chappell, though she picked the right man out, failed to positively identify him. This morning, however, Piggot was still in the infirmary recovering slowly from an attack of delirium tremens.

[my emphasis]
                        Many thanks, Robert.
                        I believe the attached is a sketch of Piggott.
                        Can`t believe he was barely 5ft high, though, he was a Hobbit
                        Attached Files

Comment

• I saw that sketch in the Star. I think it was Piser.
                          there,s nothing new, only the unexplored

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert St Devil View Post
                            I saw that sketch in the Star. I think it was Piser.
                            Yes, the artist sketched Piggott when he thought he was drawing Pizer.
                            Both were take into custody on the Monday morning. Piggott was taken to Commercial Street and then onto Leman Street for the Fiddy id parade. Pizer was taken to Leman Street

Pizer actually saw the Star sketch and said it looked "more like the man in the moon" than himself :-)

Comment

So you are going with the troika Long/Cadosh/Richardson, then? But Mrs Fiddymont didnīt pick Piggott out as the guy she had seen. Instead Abberline stated that Issenschmid was this man. And Piggot was not responsible for Eddowes, obviously.
                              So what specifically makes you go for Piggott in the Chapman case?

Comment

Thanks Jon
                                But surely chapman was killed by the ripper, and Piggott couldn't have been the ripper, having been incarcerated on the night of the double event?

Comment

Working...
                                X