• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I started here, the address was sprydernet.co.uk
    “Sans arme, sans violence et sans haine”

Comment

Originally posted by drstrange169 View Post
      I used to print out some of the old threads that contained interesting material.

The earliest I have is 1997 and the big topic was the diary.

I have the old discs you could buy back then, but they don't work on my current Mac O/S.
      I don't have these discs and I've never seen them either but years ago I did send a message to Stephen (I think) asking about them.

I can't recall the reply word for word but essentially I got the impression that they were simple html pages with some kind of wrapper interface (Flash or Java maybe?) that helps to explain/index and get to the html pages.

I'd emailed originally as I wanted to know if I could use the CDs on a computer with a Linux operating system.

I never did get a set of the CDs in the end but not because I didn't know if I could get them working on the Linux PC. As the meat of the CDs are the html pages I knew I'd have no problem opening those as any internet browser (Firefox/Chrome/Safari/Internet Explorer) on any operating system (Windows/Apple OSX/Linux/BSD etc) will open html pages.

--drstrange169, I haven't used a Mac for years but computers are essentially the same. If you load a CD what happens next depends on if the computer has the autorun/automount feature turned on. If it's on it will try to load the wrapper interface I mentioned above. What you should be able to do somehow when the CD is loaded is look at it's contents. Like when you look at a computer's hard drive or a USB stick when searching for a file. Have you tried this and if so do you see a bunch of html (or maybe htm) files? If you can see these files you should be able to open them with Safari, or another browser if you don't use Apple's browser.
      These are not clues, Fred.
      It is not yarn leading us to the dark heart of this place.
      They are half-glimpsed imaginings, tangle of shadows.
      And you and I floundering at them in the ever vainer hope that we might corral them into meaning when we will not.
      We will not.

Comment

Working...
      X