Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
General Discussion: What Would It Take To Convince You? - by Trevor Marriott 18 minutes ago.
General Discussion: What Would It Take To Convince You? - by drstrange169 2 hours ago.
Maybrick, James: One Incontrovertible, Unequivocal, Undeniable Fact Which Refutes the Diary - by Iconoclast 2 hours ago.
Maybrick, James: 25 YEARS OF THE DIARY OF JACK THE RIPPER: THE TRUE FACTS by Robert Smith - by Iconoclast 2 hours ago.
General Discussion: What Would It Take To Convince You? - by GUT 3 hours ago.
General Discussion: What Would It Take To Convince You? - by Timasina 3 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Maybrick, James: 25 YEARS OF THE DIARY OF JACK THE RIPPER: THE TRUE FACTS by Robert Smith - (44 posts)
Maybrick, James: One Incontrovertible, Unequivocal, Undeniable Fact Which Refutes the Diary - (29 posts)
General Police Discussion: Leaving one's beat - (27 posts)
Motive, Method and Madness: Was Annie Chapman a rotund woman? - (20 posts)
Witnesses: Value of a lie - (14 posts)
Mary Jane Kelly: Bloodhounds - (11 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > General Discussion

Old 06-27-2017, 03:56 PM
Cadet

Default Is a Ripper tour worthwhile?

Hi all,

I'm going to be down in that there London in a few months and I'll have a bit of spare time on my hands and so I'm wondering if partaking in a Ripper tour would be useful to me as someone fairly new to the case?

I ask as I've seen lots of photos around the board's showing how much the sites have changed. Am I better off just looking at photos in books as surely if the atmosphere and look of the areas are gone then I may as well just read about them?

Of course I could be wrong and going on a tour would help me visualise the area and give me an insight I can't get any other way?

Would it be a better idea just to take my A-Z and take myself around the areas of interest?

Looking forward to the responses.

Cheers
Mase
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 03:50 AM
Detective

Go for it. I found it very interesting and have since gone back and took a friend on my version of the tour. I guess it's what you are wanting to get from it. Of course the places have changed over the years but the 'places' are still there. Enjoy!
Old 06-28-2017, 04:55 AM
WWotW

The sites have completely changed and there is literally nothing left of "the old country" especially now that Mitre Square has been demolished. If you are familiar with the basics of the case, you'd probably do better walking around yourself with a book.

However a couple of the tour guides of one company are Ripperologists and authors (John Bennett and Philip Hutchinson) and provide an insightful, historical tour. If you do get a tour, I'd go with one of those guides and this tour company:

https://www.jack-the-ripper-tour.com

It's set apart by the quality of the guides and the lack of schlock. There are other tour companies, but they aren't of the same caliber.

Let all Oz be agreed;
I'm Wicked through and through.
Old 06-28-2017, 05:28 AM
Superintendent

Hi Snipersunset

I see you only have a bit of spare time on your hands, therefore I would advise a guided tour. The tour suggested above would be a good idea. Take the tour, and use it to get your bearings of the area, and then in the future if you have more time to spare, go around the area under your own steam. There are plenty of buildings in the area which were in existence during the time of the Whitechapel murders.
Old 07-04-2017, 02:02 PM
Cadet

Yes, they have messed with all of the sites, they've just about finished knackering Mitre sq, Bucks row/Durward st is still being slaughtered, what was left of the Kelly site is now covered over and the service road completely lost now.

berner st was destroyed a long time ago and forget Hanbury st!

Really though, there is still much to see, Ten bells for instance, various other buildings related like, the Mortuary at St. George in the east church (think this was the mortuary where Liz Stride was taken to)?

There is much to see still but, you have to look hard and it is worth the effort.

Shame really as a few years ago there was a whole lot more to see.

Last edited by Rob1n : 07-04-2017 at 02:19 PM. Reason: Mis- spelling.
Old 07-04-2017, 04:54 PM
Cadet

Thanks for the replies everyone,

Sounds like I'm late to the party as always. I think I will give one a whirl and then head back another time and check out the rest of the area with my A-Z

Cheers

Mase
Old 07-05-2017, 09:59 AM
Cadet

If it suits, I would always run you around as it is easy for me to get to Whitechapel living in Edgware as I do! I'd be more than happy for you to list out where you want to go and take you around, the offer is there should you need it.��
Old 07-05-2017, 01:41 PM
Inspector

I've not been on a Ripper tour, as my last visit to London predates my current interest in the case, but I did accidentally visit the site of Frances Coles' murder. Well, not the exact spot, as that was inside a fish-restaurant's storage area, but Chamber's Street. And even without knowing about the murder at the time, those railway arches make it a pretty creepy place late at night....just the sort of place I could imagine getting my throat slit!