No announcement yet.

Doctor Who

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh, I just wanted to say one more thing about Dr Who. What a great franchise it is. Every time the Doctor transforms, and I mean every time, I say to myself: "Well, I'm going to hate this next guy". But I never have. Two episodes in, I buy the new guy completely. I was pretty sure that Tennant the Tenth would be a disaster. Nope, the concept continues to work. I assume that I'll be just as big a fan of the 11th Doctor.

Comment

I started watching Dr Who in the 1980s on PBS here in Cleveland. Started out with Tom Baker, and was both shocked and surprised that they played all of the Peter Davision through Sylvester McCoy series--Tom would be my favorite though I like some of them all. I had to go to the local library and borrow DVDs of all the other Doctors. I would of loved to see more of Chris Eccelston, but that's life. Too bad David Tennant is leaving--I was just getting used to him. I would love to see an American doctor--just too tweak it a little--but that is going to happen just as soon as the Cleveland Browns win a Super Bowl---sorry, just a little American football lingo there...I'm also was a big fan of Keen Eddie, MI6,Torchwood, anyone remember Dempsey and McPeace? I think that in another life, I was British...

Comment

While I enjoyed "The End of Time" very much, it was sad to see Tennant leave. He has become one of the most popular incarnations of The Doctor. Let's see what Matt Smith can do though.
        I won't make any deals. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed,de-briefed, or numbered!

Comment

What are they going to do when he runs out of regenerations? I mean, he only has one more to go.......

Comment

Wolf, the Valeyard was he not the "Evil" 13th incarnation of the Doctor?

If that is true that means JtR is infact not just Doctor Jack, but The Doctor Jack!
            My opinion is all I have to offer here,

Dave.

Smilies are canned laughter.

Comment

Hi, my names Mark and I'm new to this wonderful site. Noticed the Doctor Who thread and felt i had to throw my hat into the ring.
              To be honest i have not enjoyed the last series and the four part specials, and while Russel T Davies (in my humble opinion) has saved the show i think he was close to ruining it also, his obsession with Catherine Tate astounds me. Whilst she may be a decent comedine, her acting abilities fall flat at just being 'gobby' and loud mouthed. His recent episodes have contradicted themselves repeatedly and he seems to think that by having the Doctor rapidly saying big words he can get himself out of any situation...the last episode where Donna Noble recalled her adventures with the Doctor and she didn't die (as predicted by the Doctor himself), were simply explained as the Doctor telling the master that 'you don't think I'd leave my best friend without a defence mechanism do you'...no explanation or nothing. The repeated appearances by Billie Piper also repeatedly contradicted themselves.
              Tennant has been the best Doctor, in my opinion, since Tom Baker. And to see his talents wasted by poor script writing was a shame. I am though looking forward to the new Doctor and a new head writer.

...but what do i know

Comment

Not a long time Who watcher. American and wasn't my thang growing up so I have no experience with the show beyond the recent incarnations 9 and 10. That said....There were a lot of contradictions in the tenth doctor incarnation that made me mental. While Tennant is undeniably spankable, the writers tendency to have him go around going "Ooh guns are bad, you humans and your killing" while having him destroy entire civilizations and kill off dozens was kind of annoying. Oh hey killings okay if you suck them into fiery vortexes or toss them in a black hole or drop them off a ship to their death, blow them up in a dozen fiery ways, but shooting someone? No that's just bad. And the doctor don't agree with killing...unless of course he's the one doing it.

And the problem I am going to have with the next doctor is he looks like a little kid. Listening to such pompous, blowhard preaching was bad enough coming from someone who at least vaguely resembled a full grown man, but from this puppy, it's just going to look obnoxious brat-like. The writers better get over themselves and their preaching tendency now that they've made an infant the doctor because who wants to hear a baby crying all the time?
                Last edited by Ally; 01-09-2010, 05:17 AM.

Let all Oz be agreed;
                I need a better class of flying monkeys.

Comment

Originally posted by Ally View Post
                  The writers better get over themselves and their preaching tendency now that they've made an infant the doctor...
                  ... Doogie Whoser?
                  Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Originally posted by Ally View Post
                    And the problem I am going to have with the next doctor is he looks like a little kid. Listening to such pompous, blowhard preaching was bad enough coming from someone who at least vaguely resembled a full grown man, but from this puppy, it's just going to look obnoxious brat-like. The writers better get over themselves and their preaching tendency now that they've made an infant the doctor because who wants to hear a baby crying all the time?
                    I agree.

Comment

I am a huge Doctor Who fan and I am Glad Russell T Davis (or is it Davies?) is leaving the series. Some of his stories are hugely disappointing that have a great build up then out of nowhere a deux ex machina is produced to save the day leaving me wondering what the big build up was for.

I am still convinced Donna is Romana as the Doctor looked over at Donna when Wilf asked the doctor who the mysterious timelady was. I am sure Donna is only a TEMPoary human and has a locket or something (like the doctor and masters fob-watch) that will return her to her timelady self.

Stephen Moffat who was the writer of the fantastic Dr Who episodes Blink (The one with the Statues) and the Lonely Child/The Doctor dances (Are you my mummy?) is going to be the head honcho and I for one can't wait for the new series.

Will miss the old doctor as always but looking forward to the new one.
                      Last edited by DirectorDave; 01-10-2010, 04:17 AM.
                      My opinion is all I have to offer here,

Dave.

Smilies are canned laughter.

Comment

The writers better get over themselves and their preaching tendency now that they've made an infant the doctor because who wants to hear a baby crying all the time?
                        I like the guy.

He's one year my senior, and we were at the National Youth Theatre together a few years ago when the late and great Ed Wilson was at the helm of operations. I fondly recall the lavish praise Matt heaped upon my end-of-course performance at St. Aloysius College in Islington. I was, of course, equally impressed by his portrayal of the ill-starred Archbishop in Murder in the Cathedral a few months later, and told him so.

So I'd ask you, please, to give this undeserving jammy phuckwit a chance before casting aspersions in the direction of his latest work-related engagement.

Cheers,

Ben

Comment

Hello Ben,

I agree. Taking on any role after anyone else is never easy. Argument and opinion is always "he was better than...." Just look at the James Bond films.
                          I can still recall the reaction at George Lazenby taking over from Sean Connery... and then Roger Moore....etc etc.

Dr Who is so established. It has peaked, troughed, re-emerged and is as popular now as it ever was. Anybody taking on that role has problems. Especially a relative unknown. "Hard act to follow" was never more appropriate... especially when looking back at the names before him.

Somehow, change frightens people's sense of safety. In some things, they feel threatened.

"Break a leg", say I

best wishes

Phil
                          Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
                          Accountability? ....

Comment

Pleased to see the good doctor represented on this forum. I've been a 'Who' fan since the series commenced in 1963, and am proud to say that I've watched every episode - even those that were junked by the BBC during the 'seventies. It is absolutely criminal that only bits and pieces of "The Dalek Masterplan" survive as this was, unashamedly, my favourite story from the William Hartnell era; an epic twelve - parter, preceded by a 'teaser' which featured none of the regular cast.

Perhaps the doctor will get to solve the JtR murders at some stage. The mystery needs addressing, and only he can do it!

Steve

Comment

I have to admit that I don't watch TV anymore. I did try to watch Dr. Who, but I didn't enjoy it. That was perhaps 20 years ago. The same can be said for any series except for The Prisoner and Faulty Towers. Faulty Towers was hilarious the first episode, and The Prisoner grabbed me because I had to think about it. The others I've mentioned seem to be the sort that one would have to watch a few episodes to get to like the characters and consequently, forgive the cheesiness. Is that how others feel, that one has to watch several episodes to enjoy it?

Cheers,

Mike
                              huh?

Comment

I seldom watch TV these days, either. My teenage son makes sure of that by plugging in his games console at the most inopportune of moments, and usually when I'm around the most!

Nevertheless, I have a short attention span when it comes to films or television programmes. If they fail to grab my attention within twenty minutes or so, I succumb to the X Box and seek other activities instead.

Steve

Comment

Working...
                                X