When did the "Ripper Tours" begin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When did the "Ripper Tours" begin?

I know people started making money immediately off charging people to see certain of the murder sites (those on private property?)...but when did the organized tours as London knows them today begin?

Like, in the 1920's, or even earlier, were there tours that brought one all along the (canonical 5) sites?

It would certainly have been interesting to see those with more of the original architecture and streets in place, etc.

Originally posted by Merry_Olde_Mary View Post
    I know people started making money immediately off charging people to see certain of the murder sites (those on private property?)...but when did the organized tours as London knows them today begin?

Like, in the 1920's, or even earlier, were there tours that brought one all along the (canonical 5) sites?

It would certainly have been interesting to see those with more of the original architecture and streets in place, etc.
    Well they were said to be charging to over the fence to see where Chapman was found.
    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by Merry_Olde_Mary View Post

Others will know far more than I but I believe interest in Ripper related stuff in the 1920's was not huge. We have had movies and books throughout the 20th century but modern "popularity" of the case began in the 1960's or thereabouts. At a guess the 1970's would have been when modern mass Ripper tours began.

Comment

The Victorians loved exhibitions of the weird, horrific and topical and although ripper tours started later, there was a contemporary attempt to cash in on the Whitechapel murders before the murder of Mary Kelly.
        A glass warehouse in Wood St was home to a ripper themed waxwork exhibition in sept 1888.
        To quote from Matthew Sweet's book 'Inventing the Victorians' 'A Daily News reporter who ventured inside reported' ...there is a waxwork show with some horrible pictorial representations of the recent murders and all the dreadful details are being bleated out into the night and women with children in their arms are pushing their way to the front to see the ghastly objects within'

I am researching an article about this as it is fascinating!

Miss Marple

Comment

Working...
        X