postcard to McCarthy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• postcard to McCarthy

Fairclough mentions in 'the ripper and the royals' that a postcard was sent to John McCarthy after the Mllers Court murder stating "Now we've done the fourth one,we shall go for the mother and daughter."
    Now I know we should be careful when dealing with anything concerning Joseph Sickert but...this ties in very closely with one that did exist dated October 30th stating that there will be 3 more murders-two women and a child.
    Fairclough also states that Knight saw the first one but did not use it but that his handwritten notes now belong to Paul Begg.
    Does anyone know if theres anything in this at all
    You can lead a horse to water.....

Hello Packer,

This is the only post card sent to McCarthy that I know of. It has the references you speak of woman and daughter at the end. The only problem with this is it seems to be sent to his wife, it is titled; Mrs. Mc Carthy No 26 Dorset St. London East End. Also, the postcard the "ripper and the royals" mentions saying; 'now that we've done four', while this postcard doesn't mention that.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by corey123; 10-24-2010, 05:02 PM.
    Washington Irving:

"To a homeless man, who has no spot on this wide world which he can truly call his own, there is a momentary feeling of something like independence and territorial consequence, when, after a weary day's travel, he kicks off his boots, thrusts his feet into slippers, and stretches himself before an inn fire. Let the world without go as it may; let kingdoms rise and fall, so long as he has the wherewithal to pay his bills, he is, for the time being, the very monarch of all he surveys. The arm chair in his throne; the poker his sceptre, and the little parlour of some twelve feet square, his undisputed empire. "

Stratford-on-Avon

Comment

Thanks for that Corey,well old hobo got that half right anyway
      But when you take the card as a whole you can see why Knight didn't bother to use it.
      The other one i mentioned though i'm sure Knight would have used had he known about it as the handwriting is a dead ringer for Sickerts even down to the lower case 'k' in Sickerts signature which is very distinctive(like a v with a tail off it rather than the usual curvy type 'k' if you know what i mean.So this could be one of the Sickert hoaxes that have been talked about but...if it could be proven to have been him then it puts a whole new light on things.Why on october 30th ,would he say 'two more women and a child'? This seems very final and fits in with Josephs tale.

Comment

Hello Packer,

Do you have a photo of this postcard Fairclough mentions?
        Washington Irving:

"To a homeless man, who has no spot on this wide world which he can truly call his own, there is a momentary feeling of something like independence and territorial consequence, when, after a weary day's travel, he kicks off his boots, thrusts his feet into slippers, and stretches himself before an inn fire. Let the world without go as it may; let kingdoms rise and fall, so long as he has the wherewithal to pay his bills, he is, for the time being, the very monarch of all he surveys. The arm chair in his throne; the poker his sceptre, and the little parlour of some twelve feet square, his undisputed empire. "

Stratford-on-Avon

Comment

Hi Corey
          Fairclough didn't put one in the book.
          The october 30th one i've metioned i didn't see in a book,it's shown in the maybrick doumentary from the 90's,just after where they talk about the 'saucy Jacky' postcard.I have to pause the video to look at it
          I'll bet Stuart Evans has got it though,he's certainly in the documentary.
          Wouldn't be surprised if you can get the documentary on you tube though,if you can it's about 45 mins in.

Comment

Hello Packer,

I'll take a look.
            Washington Irving:

Stratford-on-Avon

Comment

Here you go 8 minutes 27 seconds in

Part 5 of a documentary, produced by Michael Winner, about the discovery of a diary that was supposedly written by Jack The Ripper.

Comment

Hello Packer,

Here it is.

The quality isn't the best however.
                Attached Files
                Washington Irving:

Stratford-on-Avon

Comment

Thanks Corey
                  Now see if you can dig out your Knight or Cornwall.
                  Look at the k in take and the k in sickerts signature , do you see the same as me?
                  Totally different to the k in all the 'jack' signatures so obviously a little different for the time.Can't believe Cornwall missed this one.
                  Can't find my Knight book anymore but there was a Sickert letter in there and more deliberate writing(lazarus breaks his fast etc) on his paintings which matches up quite well with the above.

Comment

Hello Packer,

Too bad, I don't own either of their books.
                    Washington Irving:

Stratford-on-Avon

Comment

Originally posted by corey123 View Post
                      Hello Packer,

Too bad, I don't own either of their books.
                      Hi Corey
                      Well i've searched long and hard tonight for a decent on-line link to put up but can't find anything you'd be able to see to compare on little more than thumbnails.The best for comparison seems to be in Cornwalls book,a sketch called 'he killed his father in a fight'.The k and d in killed are identical to the above.
                      A couple of points of interest regarding the image of the postcard you put up are that the doodles at the bottom are another point picked up on by Cornwall in relation to doodles in a guest book that sickert apparently drew and secondly WHY Mrs.McCarthy?
                      One other little snippet the crossed out Sheridan at the top.
                      Here's a wiki entry on the most famous Sheridan,an Irish dramatist and poet and also a politician,look at the address he was born at!!

Comment

Sickert may very well have sent out one, or even several, of the 'Ripper' letters. Nothing I've read about his personality disinclines me from thinking that he was basically anti-social and, bluntly, not a very nice man. He may very well have gotten his jollies by interjecting himself into the investigation. That alone doesn't qualify him as a legitimate suspect.

Comment

Originally posted by corey123 View Post
                          Hello Packer,

Here it is.

The quality isn't the best however.
                          Does no one know anything about this letter?
                          It was deemed important enough at the time for posters to be made of it apparently??

Comment

Working...
                          X